Start by marking “Coach Wooden: The 7 Principles That Shaped His Life and Will Change Yours” as Want to Read:
Coach Wooden: The 7 Principles That Shaped His Life and Will Change Yours

Coach Wooden: The 7 Principles That Shaped His Life and Will Change Yours

When Coach John Wooden graduated from eighth grade his father gave him a handwritten card and said, "Son, try to live up to this." On the card, his father had written seven simple yet profound life principles: Be true to yourself
Help others
Make friendship a fine art
Drink deeply from good books, especially the Bible
Make each day your masterpiece
Build a shelter against a rai
Published February 1st 2011 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about Coach Wooden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coach Wooden

Jeff
Mar 16, 2012 Jeff rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-book-list
I really liked this book. This is another one I'm going to pay my kids to read. It discussed the 7-point creed John Wooden lived by. This creed was written down on a piece of paper by his father and given to Coach Wooden in the 8th grade. He kept the piece of paper all of his life. Here is the 7-point creed:

3. Make each day your masterpiece.
4. Drink deeply from good books, especially the Bible.
5. Make friendship a fine art.
6. Build a shelter against a r
Traci
Apr 06, 2011 Traci rated it it was amazing
Wednesday, April 6, 2011Book Review of Coach Wooden by Pat Williams

I must say this is one of the best books I have ever read, and I am humbled that there was ever a man who used Basketball to touch so many young men's lives, both on and off the court! A Christian man, father, coach, son, and husband who tried to apply seven basic principles,(given to him by his father) to his life and lives that he touched.

On a simple piece of paper laid seven principles that Coach Wooden's father had given him
Michelle
Apr 27, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fictionread
Wisdom for the ages. Coach Wooden's father passed down to him a 7-point creed that had a tremendous impact on him. Coach has touched so many lives over the years. He was an amazing man. I love this book.
Karla Jaimes
Nov 16, 2016 Karla Jaimes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has left an impression on me. This is a book that must be shared and be made into a requirement in high school. The simple lessons that we tend to forget or perhaps never taught, never left this man and he led by them and taught them. It is a book that reminds me that was must lead by example and never given in. Beautifully written and a great way to honor this giant of a man. Don't pass up the chance to read this book.
Jan
Jul 07, 2011 Jan rated it liked it
Many books have been written on Coach Wooden, who has been the model for many young men in the sports field. The principles are as true for real life as they are in the sports world. Coach Wooden himself has written a lot of books.

The author of this book is Pat Williams, a senior vice president of the NBA's Orlando Magic team, the the co author Jim Denney has written many books with Pat Williams. It was the first book I had read on Coach Wooden, so I have no reason to think it is any better tha
Victor Gentile
Apr 10, 2011 Victor Gentile rated it it was amazing
Pat Williams in his new book, "Coach Wooden" published by Revell gives us a look into the life of John Wooden, Coach of the UCLA Bruins.

John Wooden was taught by his father seven principles to live his life by. Not only did he obey his father and live his life by these principles he also taught them to those he coached. The seven principles are: "Be True To Yourself", "Help Others", "Make Each Day Your Masterpiece", " Drink Deeply From Good Books, Especially The Bible", "Make Friendship A Fine A
Brian Wetters
May 02, 2014 Brian Wetters rated it it was amazing
Coach Wooden's father, Joshua Wooden, was a man who passed along to his four sons life's lessons that endeared for generations. Coach John Wooden, voted the Greatest Coach in any sport, instilled those same lessons, or 7 principles, to players, coaches, and friends that crossed his path over a century. This book examines each of the seven principles along with accompanying commentary, stories, and parallels. As the players who played basketball for Coach Wooden at UCLA, Indiana State, South ...more
Mark
Oct 09, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
The book itself is just ok, but the principles themselves are pearls of wisdom. The fascinating part is that they came from Wooden's dad, not his own "pyramid of success." It's just beautiful that a hardworking man of modest education but incredible personal conviction jotted these words down on a slip of paper and gave it his son who would later become the greatest coach of all time.

4. Drink deeply from good books, especial
Sacha Adams
Oct 30, 2012 Sacha Adams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Coach Wooden was a particularly interesting read for me because Coach grew up in a community near my home-Martinsville, Indiana. Joshua Wooden, John's father, was a self educated man and greatly influenced the lives of each of his four sons. Joshua was a student of the bible and based his principles and actions on the wisdom gained from reading the bible. Although Joshua did not have a formal education he taught his sons to read the bible and appreciate great literature. Each son became a teach
Bobby Jones
Aug 06, 2013 Bobby Jones rated it liked it
Good book about the life of John Wooden, how his life was shaped by his father, Joshua Wooden and the seven-point creed given to him on his twelfth birthday. John Wooden went on to live out these seven principles for the rest of his life and passed them along to many along the way.

Seven Life Principles:
3. Make each day your masterpiece.
4. Drink deeply from good books, especially the Bible.
5. Make friendship a fine art.
6. Build a shelter against a rainy day b
Rob Cantrall
Sep 15, 2011 Rob Cantrall rated it it was amazing
Borrowed this from the library...so good that I need to buy it. Wooden was a truly inspiring person, not as a basketball coach, but as a role model for how to live a good life. These principles really showcase his approach and encapsulate a formula for how to do it. Even the religious elements, which don't often work for me, make sense in the bigger picture of his mindset. Even if I don't do much with praying for guidance, I can certainly get behind giving thanks and being grateful. Highly ...more
Michael
Apr 13, 2012 Michael rated it did not like it
This book was so poorly written I finally quit on it. It wasn't worth navigating the mindless repetition and wandering line of thought. There certainly is some truth to Wooden's famous seven principles, but this book managed to relegate them to a series of trite cliches'. I'm intrigued by Wooden and would like to know more about what made him an such an effective leader and teacher, but this book was unreadable.
Gabe Hambrick
May 31, 2016 Gabe Hambrick rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book is was extremely delightful to read. This book was an eye opener. John Wooden was such an amazing man putting family, friends, and faith first. And Johns life was formed around the seven principles that his dad gave him when he was six. If you do not have a good role model this book and John will serve as one for you. I would definitely recommend this book it helped me find myself and it will help you too.
Angela Rosio
Apr 24, 2012 Angela Rosio rated it really liked it
This was a great book. . .Wooden has ties to Indiana and sports but the book is about so much more. It was referenced in another book I read, so decided to give it a try. It was interesting how this successful coach and leader always stayed true to his simple small town values. Good read for sports fans or anyone that is looking for inspiration.
Trent
May 12, 2012 Trent rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-books

Very good book and an easy read. Heard so much about this book and I feel I may have expected too much. While it holds some very good "laws" to live your life by, it doesn't really help you figure out how to execute them in your own life. It also seemed repetitive at times. Regardless, I will figure out how to work some of the "Woodenisms" into my life.
Rick
Mar 07, 2012 Rick rated it liked it
One part memoir and one part inspirational self-help. Wooden's father gave him a seven part code of conduct when he was young. This volume devotes a chapter to each of the seven pieces. Better than I expected. You do not have to be a sports fan to appreciate this, yet sports fans will enjoy the many stories and anecdotes, some from celebrity athletes.
Jackie
Mar 21, 2014 Jackie rated it really liked it
Good book, great guy. The troubling part to me is what if this guy impacted all these lives for Christ? Wow, now that would be an impact. He is a good guy, not a god, and perhaps a good teacher. It was a good read and gives some insight of a basketball coach. What is basketball to eternity? Have to keep in perspective what you are reading.
Eric
Mar 09, 2014 Eric rated it really liked it
I hadn't read a Coach Wooden book for quite awhile and not from beginning to end so quickly. It brought back a lot of very good memories and engendered some emotions as well. There have been many Wooden books but this one seemed more practical to me in terms of applying the seven principles.
Richard Mansel
Mar 22, 2014 Richard Mansel rated it it was amazing
You will be a changed person after you read this exceedingly motivational book. It will enhance your faith, family, friendships and function in society. You can be blessed by this book even if you aren't a basketball fan. Yet, if you are, it's even more of a treasure. Enjoy!
John Bechtold
Jun 03, 2016 John Bechtold rated it liked it
This book talks about the seven point creed that Coach Wooden lived his life by. The author uses stories from Coach Wooden's life and others to illustrate the effectiveness of these seven principles.
Nathan Ervin
Aug 31, 2013 Nathan Ervin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was a very good read. It gave an insight on John Wooden and the way he lived. He was truly inspired by God and a great coach and person.
Frank Coleman
Sep 08, 2011 Frank Coleman rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! I had no idea the John Wooden was a man of such principles and values...a great man indeed.
Alicia Williams
Mar 22, 2013 Alicia Williams rated it really liked it
Great book, if you need inspiration or a reminder of how you should live your life. I would have loved to meet this man. I now carry those 7 principles with me in my wallet.
Christian Honohan
Apr 16, 2014 Christian Honohan rated it it was amazing
It was a very good book that taught you allot about how the letter his dad gave him changed his life.
Đinh
Dec 08, 2012 Đinh rated it it was amazing
Really great book about a great life. Coach John Wooden's 7 principles has taught the way to live a right life. Thank you, Coach, you will always be remembered.
Tyler Hoy
Jul 01, 2014 Tyler Hoy rated it it was amazing
I had never heard of jus seven point creed before. While reading this book I discovered how truly important his creed is and should be known by all.
Andy Anderson
Mar 30, 2012 Andy Anderson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership, biography
Wow, Coach Wooden is the man... A huge book reader, teacher, trainer, coach and friend. Whoever met this man was blessed.
John Williams
Nov 26, 2013 John Williams rated it it was amazing
The book lives up to it's title. It gave me insight to the values and character of this legend and has opened my eyes to make some adjustments in my life.
Thadeus
Jun 02, 2012 Thadeus rated it really liked it
An outstanding book about the importance of a father and the impact a father can have on his children. A portrait defined by seven principles worth emulating.

Highly recommended!!
Indi
Indi rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Winston S. Churchill: The Prophet of Truth, 1922-1939 (Volume V) (Churchill Biography Book 5)
  • A Family of Value
  • The Spiritual Combat and a Treatise on Peace of Soul
  • How to Really Love Your Teenager
  • Open Mind, Faithful Heart: Reflections on Following Jesus
  • Players First: Coaching from the Inside Out
  • Tales of the Revolution:  True Stories of People who are Poking the Box and Making a Difference