A Gathering of Light
read book

A Gathering of Light

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Union soldier Lieutenant Hixson Morris is dying on the battlefield, gut shot. But instead of dying he finds himself in the care of beautiful, mysterious Sarah Westbay.

Sarah's tragic and troubled history is turned toward a new hope; in saving Hixson she saves herself.

This book contains adult themes but is not explicit.
Published November 7th 2010 by Smashwords Edition

LAWonder10
This is a delightful tale of an exceptional young woman with special abilities, living in Virginia during the time of the Civil War. She was an orphan living alone with only one close friend and her son who lived on the next farm over. The son, especially, aided her in various ways.

The tale details how this young woman, among other attributes, helps heal a badly injured Union soldier... thus, a true friendship formed between them. She endures a tremendous trial after he leaves. The plot continue...more
Laurie
The story begins during the civil war, a Lieutenant for the North side, Hixon Morris is lying gut shot on the battlefield, with no hope of surviving. He awakes, in a small cabin, where he has been healed by a woman who is not only a southern "rebel", but a mysterious light gatherer.

Author Patricia Isles weaves a wonderful tale around the miraculous paranormal healer, with a touch of romance, history, and tragedy thrown in. The editing errors were almost to the point of annoying, with several i...more
Angela
Eh. DNF around 100 pages. Can't seem to understand what the problem or conflict of the story is and can't find a reason for the story.
Erin
I had high hopes for this book based on the review I read. It seemed right up my alley, being historical fiction added with the mystical aspect of the main character, Sarah's gift. However, I don't think the author developed her characters deeply enough for me. She took the characters in the book from event to event without much depth. However, I felt deeply sorry for Sarah's assault and admired Hixson's devotion to her throughout the story.
Brenda
Very fast read, easy and fun. A little bit too pat to be believable, but the characters are incredibly likeable - almost too much so. Still, it was light, fun, and definitely a "good mood" read which was just the ticket for me at the time I read the book.
SheLove2Read
Feb 05, 2012 SheLove2Read marked it as dnf
Shelves: 2012
This was a freebie read and not something I would have picked up normally. I'm not finishing this mainly because I've gotten bored with it. Slow moving and a bit odd with the civil war/paranormal angle. DNF
Cindy Winder delong
This started out a pretty good book. There was some mention of past tragedies and then it moved on. When every page seemed to bring a new horror, I decided that reading this book was no longer enjoyable.
Dana Sanders
started out ok but at the end it just seemed to ramble on....went into too many details that were neither interesting or relevant.
Dawn
Loved the love between Sarah and Hixson. Will read again. This is how everyone should love their mate.
Allie
Jazmyn
Jazmyn added it
Jul 04, 2014
Joood Hooligan
Joood Hooligan marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Malissa
Malissa marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Celeste Cary
Celeste Cary marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Firdous
Firdous marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Fae
Fae marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Christelle
Christelle marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
grumpyoldbird
grumpyoldbird marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Authors...: Last day for free ebook - Historical Romance 1 5 Dec 31, 2011 09:31AM
I believe in the power of the storyteller: from the famous filmmaker to your grandmother's stories about her youth, I think a passion for stories are hard-wired into our minds.

Films give us stories that are shown to us in vibrant detail. Books let us create that colorful image in our own minds. I love both and always have.

Let me take you on a journey in your imagination. You'll meet some new peop...more
More about Patricia Iles...
A Light in the Mountains The Light of a Fire Opal