Start by marking “Unlucky in Law” as Want to Read:
Unlucky in Law

Unlucky in Law (Nina Reilly #10)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  678 ratings  ·  45 reviews
A New York Times Bestselling AuthorNina Reilly takes on the most dangerous and difficult case of her career in O'Shaughnessy's latest thriller. An ingenious blend of forensic science, history, and gripping suspense, Unlucky in Law pits the tough but compassionate attorney against the most unbeatable adversary of all: the law. Brilliantly imagined and compulsively readable,...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 698 pages
Published October 1st 2004 by Thorndike Press (first published July 13th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Unlucky in Law, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unlucky in Law

DubaiReader
Good in parts.

My feelings towards this book oscillated as I read it. I'm not a fan of courtroom narratives and found the beginning quite dull as we spent much of our time in the court. As things heated up, with more activity out in the real world, so did my enthusiasm. Unfortunately I was disappointed with the end which fell a bit flat, so only three stars overall.

(Please excuse spelling errors as I listened to the unabridged audiobook and so may have some names wrong.)
Nina Reilly is a likeable...more
Kathleen Hagen
Unlucky in Law, by Perri O’Shaughnessy. B-plus
Purchased as a cassette book from audioeditions.com.
This is one of the Nina Reilly series, the first one I’ve read, but one near the end of the series as it now exists. In this one Nina goes back to Carmel and Salinas, CA, where she’s apparently from, to take on some cases, and to determine once and for all whether or not she was going to marry Paul, the private investigator she uses in her cases, apparently, and who has been in love with her for som...more
J
MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS:

I had liked "Acts of Malice," but this fell short for me.

It's a case of lawyer Nina Reilly going to trial to defend a murder victime, before she has all the research done.

Nice bits of writing here and there, but I didn't feel the momentum, the crescendo throughout. New evidence, theories keep emerging during the trial, which should make the reader anxious, but somehow it didn't all build to the suspenseful peak I would hope and expect.

Nina's out of her Tahoe habitat - retur...more
Alice Harbin
Good mystery. A bit of a stretch, but it works. The main character is an attorney who is defending a man accused both of robbing a grave and killing the daughter of the man who's grave he's decimated . Turns out his DNA matches the blood found at the murder. Then his brother is found to be the killer. He had received a bone marrow transplant from the defendant years earlier. Both of them turn out to be sons of the person whose bones were dug up. There is suspicion that the dead man was the heir...more
Peter Schulman
I enjoyed it after I got into it. I would like to give it a 3.5-3.7. I'm getting more and more frustrated at having to choose between 3 and 4 and 4 and 5.

What took this down under a 4 for me, and may keep me from reading any more by the author(s) is that I was neutral toward the main character. She was too difficult, relentlessly ambivalent. Ambivalence done well can make characters compelling. But they have to break the bonds of ambivalence and decide to do something, however much they might wi...more
Karen
I enjoy the Nina Reilly series as easily readable courtroom mysteries. I like the strong character of Nina, although I do wish she would make up her mind about whether or not to marry her "boyfriend." Personally, I enjoy book series where the character's personal life develops as the series progresses. Like the other Nina Reilly books, she also becomes involved in a case that becomes more complicated than it at first seems. This time a young man is accused of a murder he swears he didn't commit...more
Valerie
This one kept me guessing until the very end! If you enjoy the Nina Reilly series, #10 won't disappoint. I believe the storyline is one of the best in the whole series.

This book is set in the Monterey Peninsula instead of Tahoe as Nina tries to sort out her relationship with investigator Paul von Wagoner, who has asked Nina to marry him.

This case, which initially appears to be simple, ends up being anything but.

The mystery part of this book is fantastic, but I find Nina's indecisiveness about...more
Linda
Feb 25, 2008 Linda rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Detective/Mystery lovers
Recommended to Linda by: My sister
Shelves: kindle-read
So far this is a slow book. Maybe because the last ones I read have either been a laugh a page or needing a cigarette on every other page.
It is good but just not what I was expecting. I will finish it and read her other book but it wont be next.

I finished this book but I cant say that it was great. I skipped a lot of pages just to see who done it and didnt go back to see how they even figured it out.
Maybe if I hadnt read so many good ones lately, I would have liked this one.
Michelle
A very entertaining story. The case and the trial were very interesting. I suspected many of the twists and turns long before they were revealed yet it didn't spoil the overall story. I have to say that I wasn't nearly as interested in the back stories. I didn't care so much for Nina's personal life including her relationship with Paul, her move from Tahoe, her son Bob, or her secretary Sandy. It felt like filler information and didn't add to the overall tale.
Elaine
This is my first time to read a novel by Perri O'Shaughnessy. I love to read mysteries and this book was very riveting. It is the first mystery I have read that I did not figure out "who done it" by half way through the book. I was taken by surprise by "who done it" and why. You will enjoy reading this book.
Val
This was a good book; I would have liked to rate it a 3.5. It had a lot of technical information which was interesting and a good plot. I found myself wanting to listen to it even when I wasn't in the car.

However, I thought there was too much intro and the end wrapped up more quickly than I would have liked.
Kelly Clark
This book wasn't bad - but WAY too predictable (I predicted the end after reading a quarter of the book). That being said, I gave it 3 stars instead of 2 stars because I did keep reading to see if my prediction was correct. Sadly, it was. I doubt I would read another in the series.
Barbra Craig
Client Stefan is caught with human bones in his backseat and is accused of murder. As Nina sorts through it all Paul gives her a ring, but after a night of weakness and being put on the back burner by the woman he loves, he.....well you'll have to read to find out.
Cheryl Porter
This book made me realize I'm tired of the crime novel that always includes a side on again, off again romance aspect. Not sure if that's just a reflection on my reading taste or that this book was a tired story.
auie
i learned that bone marrow transplant can cause the recipient to adopt the blood type of the donor.

slow read, but once you get past the first chapter it becomes interesting. all in all, i like the book.
Cynthia Conley
This is the 2nd O'Shaughnessy book I've ready and I LOVED it! It was easy to follow and remember all the characters and I had no clue who 'dun it' until the very end! Two thumbs up!!
Amanda Patterson
The only book that I have ever thrown away...Then taken out of the bin to show people how not to write. Full of telling - lots of it, pages of it, reams of it. Yes. Just like this review.
Jean
Nina Reilly is now in Monterey and we had just returned so it was fun to picture where the story took place. Involves a grave robbery, tsarist Russian and exposing a killer.
J. Ewbank
This is an interesting b ook. I liked it despite it appearing at times like another czar book.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Joann
A new author for me, one I would definitely read again. If you like legal suspense almost to the very last page, this is a book for you.
Bill Turner
A hapless likable two-time felon robbs a grave and discovers another murdered body. Nina Reilly, an attorney must try to find out what really happened.
Teresa Miller
I have always enjoyed Perri O'Shaughnessy's books. This one had a lot of twists and turns that I was not prepared for. Very good
Carolyn
Another great "page turner" book from O'Shaughnessy. Kept me guessing until the very end. Had trouble putting it down!
Lisa
Somewhat obvious but enjoyable and very well-written legal thriller involving Romanovs, murder, and mystery.
Ladyjexie
One of three from Perri O'Shaughnessy I have read. Good but not great bedside read.
Tiffany
I enjoyed the book, as I have all the others. Nothing remarkable, just enjoyable.
Jennifer Horner
Love these books but this wasn't my fav. A bir too much Russian history for me
Vivisection
Not my favorite Nina Reilly but I do love a good Romanov conspiracy theory,
Sandy
Non-stop action. I really like Nina and of course I like Sandy. =)
Ann
You couldn't ask for a better courtroom drama short of Perry Mason.
  • Reckless Endangerment (Butch Karp, #10)
  • Trial By Fire
  • Suspicion of Guilt (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #2)
  • Cruel Justice (Ben Kincaid, #5)
  • Courting Trouble (Rosato & Associates, #7)
  • Critical Mass
  • The Oath (Dismas Hardy, #8)
  • Sleight of Hand (Barbara Holloway #9)
  • While Other People Sleep
Perri O’Shaughnessy is the pen-name for two people, Pamela and Mary O’Shaughnessy, sisters. The authors' pseudonym is an homage to Perry Mason, the man who never met a guilty client, and a melding of their two first names, Pamela and Mary. O’Shaughnessy is their paternal family name.

They are the authors of eleven bestselling Nina Reilly novels as well as a collection of short crime fiction, Sinist...more
More about Perri O'Shaughnessy...
Move to Strike Motion to Suppress Obstruction of Justice (Nina Reilly, #3) Acts of Malice (Nina Reilly #5) Writ of Execution (Nina Reilly #7)