Start by marking “Unlucky in Law” as Want to Read:
Unlucky in Law

Unlucky in Law (Nina Reilly #10)

A New York Times Bestselling AuthorNina Reilly takes on the most dangerous and difficult case of her career in O'Shaughnessy's latest thriller. An ingenious blend of forensic science, history, and gripping suspense, Unlucky in Law pits the tough but compassionate attorney against the most unbeatable adversary of all: the law. Brilliantly imagined and compulsively readable, ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 648 pages
Published October 1st 2004 by Thorndike Press (first published July 13th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Unlucky in Law, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unlucky in Law

DubaiReader
Oct 04, 2011 DubaiReader rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, 2011
Good in parts.

My feelings towards this book oscillated as I read it. I'm not a fan of courtroom narratives and found the beginning quite dull as we spent much of our time in the court. As things heated up, with more activity out in the real world, so did my enthusiasm. Unfortunately I was disappointed with the end which fell a bit flat, so only three stars overall.

(Please excuse spelling errors as I listened to the unabridged audiobook and so may have some names wrong.)
Nina Reilly is a likeable
Mary
Dec 05, 2014 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to get into this book, a lot of detail in her writing, but got hooked on the trial and had to know who did it and why.
Katherine
Love the settings I'm familiar with....law mystery is interesting, but not too dynamic or challenging.
Kathleen Hagen
Unlucky in Law, by Perri O’Shaughnessy. B-plus
Purchased as a cassette book from audioeditions.com.
This is one of the Nina Reilly series, the first one I’ve read, but one near the end of the series as it now exists. In this one Nina goes back to Carmel and Salinas, CA, where she’s apparently from, to take on some cases, and to determine once and for all whether or not she was going to marry Paul, the private investigator she uses in her cases, apparently, and who has been in love with her for som
J
Nov 23, 2009 J rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS:

I had liked "Acts of Malice," but this fell short for me.

It's a case of lawyer Nina Reilly going to trial to defend a murder victime, before she has all the research done.

Nice bits of writing here and there, but I didn't feel the momentum, the crescendo throughout. New evidence, theories keep emerging during the trial, which should make the reader anxious, but somehow it didn't all build to the suspenseful peak I would hope and expect.

Nina's out of her Tahoe habitat - retur
Debra
Katie Rekowski
Aug 28, 2015 Katie Rekowski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2004. Nina Reilly has has left Lake Tahoe temporarily to spend time with man friend and PI, Paul von Wagoner as well as help out the boss of her old firm, Klaus Pohlmann. A case has been brewing for 4 months and is about to go to trial. Seems nothing has been done to prepare. Nina, it is hoped, will charge in like a hero and save the day. Is Stefan Wyatt guilt of stealing some 25 year old bones and murdering a young woman? Both were found in the grave he was digging up. His blood was found in he ...more
Peter Schulman
Sep 09, 2011 Peter Schulman rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it after I got into it. I would like to give it a 3.5-3.7. I'm getting more and more frustrated at having to choose between 3 and 4 and 4 and 5.

What took this down under a 4 for me, and may keep me from reading any more by the author(s) is that I was neutral toward the main character. She was too difficult, relentlessly ambivalent. Ambivalence done well can make characters compelling. But they have to break the bonds of ambivalence and decide to do something, however much they might wi
Karen
Apr 16, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the Nina Reilly series as easily readable courtroom mysteries. I like the strong character of Nina, although I do wish she would make up her mind about whether or not to marry her "boyfriend." Personally, I enjoy book series where the character's personal life develops as the series progresses. Like the other Nina Reilly books, she also becomes involved in a case that becomes more complicated than it at first seems. This time a young man is accused of a murder he swears he didn't commit ...more
Fred Arshoff
Feb 05, 2017 Fred Arshoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book used as I read other books by Perri that I really liked and always buy her books when I see them used. Perri is actually 2 sisters who write together using this name. I enjoyed this book very much, I will always buy books by Perri when I see them
I would give this book 4*
Alice Harbin
Jan 09, 2014 Alice Harbin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery. A bit of a stretch, but it works. The main character is an attorney who is defending a man accused both of robbing a grave and killing the daughter of the man who's grave he's decimated . Turns out his DNA matches the blood found at the murder. Then his brother is found to be the killer. He had received a bone marrow transplant from the defendant years earlier. Both of them turn out to be sons of the person whose bones were dug up. There is suspicion that the dead man was the heir ...more
Valerie
Jan 15, 2010 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: part-of-a-series
This one kept me guessing until the very end! If you enjoy the Nina Reilly series, #10 won't disappoint. I believe the storyline is one of the best in the whole series.

This book is set in the Monterey Peninsula instead of Tahoe as Nina tries to sort out her relationship with investigator Paul von Wagoner, who has asked Nina to marry him.

This case, which initially appears to be simple, ends up being anything but.

The mystery part of this book is fantastic, but I find Nina's indecisiveness about
Pr Latta
10th in this series co-written by sisters -- had to give it two tries despite the rather intriguing hook of the Russian royal family. Nina is debating marrying Paul van Wagoner and moving back to Monterey when she gets the case of a "third strike" man who was caught digging up bones. I got bored during the "suspense" of the Russians going after people and couldn't buy into the way the rift between Paul and Nina developed. Not the best legal suspense story but I enjoyed it enough to give it that ...more
Michelle
Aug 15, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very entertaining story. The case and the trial were very interesting. I suspected many of the twists and turns long before they were revealed yet it didn't spoil the overall story. I have to say that I wasn't nearly as interested in the back stories. I didn't care so much for Nina's personal life including her relationship with Paul, her move from Tahoe, her son Bob, or her secretary Sandy. It felt like filler information and didn't add to the overall tale.
Linda
Jan 03, 2008 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Detective/Mystery lovers
Recommended to Linda by: My sister
Shelves: kindle-read
So far this is a slow book. Maybe because the last ones I read have either been a laugh a page or needing a cigarette on every other page.
It is good but just not what I was expecting. I will finish it and read her other book but it wont be next.

I finished this book but I cant say that it was great. I skipped a lot of pages just to see who done it and didnt go back to see how they even figured it out.
Maybe if I hadnt read so many good ones lately, I would have liked this one.
Elise
Aug 06, 2015 Elise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable book that I really loved reading. Being familiar with the characters, I dove right in and loved the story twists and turns as we learned what may or may not be true. I like that there was no clear ending and I'm glad that I read it.

I would recommend this book to anyone that loves a good thriller and law story.
Val
Jul 20, 2009 Val rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, audio-books
This was a good book; I would have liked to rate it a 3.5. It had a lot of technical information which was interesting and a good plot. I found myself wanting to listen to it even when I wasn't in the car.

However, I thought there was too much intro and the end wrapped up more quickly than I would have liked.
Ed
Aug 17, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#10 in the Nina Reilly series.

#10 - Nina Reilly, Lake Tahoe lawyer, has moved to Carmel for the summer to be with Investigator Paul van Wagoner. Her old boss asks her to help in the defense of young Stefan Wyatt, accused of robbing the grave of a Russian émigré and after murdering the Russian's daughter - placing her body in the grave.
Elaine
Feb 16, 2009 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first time to read a novel by Perri O'Shaughnessy. I love to read mysteries and this book was very riveting. It is the first mystery I have read that I did not figure out "who done it" by half way through the book. I was taken by surprise by "who done it" and why. You will enjoy reading this book.
Pam H
Jun 05, 2016 Pam H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read... Nice incorporation of "real" rumors regarding tsarist Russia and the Romanovs. As for Nina... Unsurprising development at the end.... and then ya gotta ask the question.... where does she go from here.
Kelly Clark
This book wasn't bad - but WAY too predictable (I predicted the end after reading a quarter of the book). That being said, I gave it 3 stars instead of 2 stars because I did keep reading to see if my prediction was correct. Sadly, it was. I doubt I would read another in the series.
Cheryl Porter
This book made me realize I'm tired of the crime novel that always includes a side on again, off again romance aspect. Not sure if that's just a reflection on my reading taste or that this book was a tired story.
auie
Jan 14, 2008 auie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i learned that bone marrow transplant can cause the recipient to adopt the blood type of the donor.

slow read, but once you get past the first chapter it becomes interesting. all in all, i like the book.
Barbra Craig
Jun 21, 2012 Barbra Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Client Stefan is caught with human bones in his backseat and is accused of murder. As Nina sorts through it all Paul gives her a ring, but after a night of weakness and being put on the back burner by the woman he loves, he.....well you'll have to read to find out.
Lori Graham
This is an enjoyable, quick read.
Vivisection
Partridge Public
O'Shaughnessy, Perri
Tiffany
Jun 07, 2011 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book, as I have all the others. Nothing remarkable, just enjoyable.
  • Reckless Endangerment (Butch Karp, #10)
  • Double Jeopardy
  • Trial By Fire
  • Lie Still
  • The Mercy Rule (Dismas Hardy, #5)
  • Life Sentence
  • Suspicion of Malice (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #5)
  • The Attorney (Paul Madriani, #5)
  • The Cloud of Unknowing
  • The Father's Day Murder (Christine Bennett, #11)
  • Share No Secrets
Perri O’Shaughnessy is the pen-name for two people, Pamela and Mary O’Shaughnessy, sisters. The authors' pseudonym is an homage to Perry Mason, the man who never met a guilty client, and a melding of their two first names, Pamela and Mary. O’Shaughnessy is their paternal family name.

They are the authors of eleven bestselling Nina Reilly novels as well as a collection of short crime fiction, Sinist
More about Perri O'Shaughnessy...

Nina Reilly (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Motion to Suppress (Nina Reilly, #1)
  • Invasion of Privacy (Nina Reilly #2)
  • Obstruction of Justice (Nina Reilly, #3)
  • Breach of Promise (Nina Reilly #4)
  • Acts of Malice (Nina Reilly #5)
  • Move to Strike (Nina Reilly #6)
  • Writ of Execution (Nina Reilly #7)
  • Unfit to Practice (Nina Reilly #8)
  • Presumption of Death (Nina Reilly, #9)
  • Case of Lies (Nina Reilly #11)