Start by marking “Lucky Change” as Want to Read:
Lucky Change

Lucky Change

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Published November 8th 2010 by Bonneville (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Lucky Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucky Change

Tonya
Maybe my 5-star rating is a little high since I sorta know the author, but I found this to be a refreshing break from the often overly-pious writing of other LDS fiction. The author breaks down the culture within the church when a "white trash" type character (Karen) wins the lottery. Karen is the type who always has something to say, much to the chagrin of the Relief Society President who is always trying to make things line up perfectly with the Gospel principles. When she goes from the poores ...more
Valerie Steimle
What would you do with a lot of money if you won the Lottery? How would you treat others with more money than most people see in a life time? This story so very well told of a woman who happened to be an eye sore to those around her. Not raised in the best of circumstances, divorced raising 2 children on her own, Karen Donaldson bought one lottery ticket and hit the jackpot. Those around her didn't appreciate her winnings as they thought they "out classed" her with the silver spoon upbringing an ...more
Yep, I really liked this one. One of the best in this genre I have ever come across. (The genre being LDS Chick Lit). What set this one apart for me was the primary protagonist in this novel was a divorced woman with two grown kids, one of them a daughter with a child born out of wedlock and self described "poor white trash". Very unique for LDS females in this category of writing.

Karen Donaldson is a favorite character for me now. She is unique in so many ways. She can make you laugh, smile and
Roseanne Wilkins
Lucky Change by Susan Law Corpany is a breath of fresh air. I loved Karen Donaldson, the struggling single mother who had managed to raise two children on her own after her husband ditched her for an easier life. At the beginning of the book, Karen is approaching her Bishop about a horrible sin she'd committed. Assuming she'd had an affair by her demeanor, he had to re-focus when her confession was buying a lottery ticket. It kind of put the sin in perspective. Although he couldn't accept tithin ...more
Patricia
Winning the lottery--with all its challenges---makes Karen's true colors show. I have to admit that Karen really bugged me at first but I kept reading. If you like feel-good stories, this is a book for you.
Katie Watkins
Lucky Change is the story of a woman who goes to a gas station in Idaho and the "flirty" cashier talks her into buying one lottery ticket--and she wins over $200 million! She gets advice from her bishop, who is also a lawyer, and becomes a very generous woman.

Karen is hilarious! She isn't very educated, raised 2 kids alone when her husband walked out and divorced her, and is very blunt, much to the chagrin of her fellow Relief Society members. I thought of Kathy Bates during the whole book--she
Kristen
Hilarious.

Karen Donaldson, a forty something, divorced mother of two grown children succumbs to temptation...and buys a lottery ticket. She wins and suddenly everything her neighbors ever judged the family to be is turned upside down. Instead of being self described poor white trash, they are now rich white trash and it is quite a fun story of change.

You won't like it if you don't like LDS fiction or Chick Lit. I loved the quirky characters. They may not be EXACTLY real life people, but I know
Brigitte
What a fun book!
Kristyn
Not a typical LDS romance. Well, not really a romance at all, more of a comedy, with a bit of some quirky romance thrown in there in a few places. A cute story about a lady who buys one lottery ticket in her life and wins big. She goes from being the Ward charity case, to helping out those who made fun of her and her kids. It's a story about forgiveness, true charity and Karen, one very unforgettable character. Humorous, touching and worth reading. And I think the Roadkill Mobile is a great idea ...more
Dan Rogers
Real life with all of it's twists and turns, heroes, and villains. I laughed, cried, and even got angry as I read this book. It was so engaging that it was difficult to put down when it was time for bed. This is a quick read that will make you think, cheer for Karen and all that she does to improve the lives of others, and maybe (if you're like me) find yourself in the book and decide that what you see is not the person you want to be. Well worth the time spent. Great book.
This was a cute book, really made me want to get a lottery ticket on the off chance that I might win. A bunch of things that Karen did with her winnings are things I would love to do (if only I had money!). The one thing that ABSOLUTELY drove me nuts about this book is that she has HORRIBLE grammar. As I'm reading I can hear the characters voices in my head (that I've made up) and the grammar was awful. (It's a pet peeve of mine.)
Heather
This was a refreshing change from your run of the mill lds novel. At first I could hardly stand the main character, but I grew to love her quirkyness by the end. It was fun to think about what I would do if I had all the money in the world. Hmmmmm...I think I might go buy a lottery ticket...Just one. ;)
Jane
Cute and fun, I liked how the author moved away from the Mormon Automatically Equals Good trope that shows up in so much Mormon fiction. There didn't seem to be a whole lot of story driving the plot though, except for Camille the secretary's subplot which I found really interesting.
Tamera Westhoff
A great book about how life can change! A single mom buys a lottery ticket and wins 230 million dollars! She then uses the money to help others, even those who snubbed their noses at her and her kids! Fantastic read for those who dream of having money and those that do!
Tanya
The story concept was delightful and the characters engaging. Unfortunately, there was a bit of POV switching within scenes, as well as a bit of info dumping in places that took me out of the story. Still, it's a fun read.
I chose this book because it was mentioned on Segullah as a Whitney finalist. I really wanted to like the book. It has a cute premise. But the dialogue was so unrealistic. And it just wasn't funny enough to make up for that.
Susan
A middle ages single mother takes a chance and her life changes. Don't want to say too much or the first part is not as funny. Smiled all the way through this one. Lessons taught with humor and occasionally a sharp stick.
Kristin
This was a very light read - humorous in some places, predictable in others. Everything wrapped up a little too nicely, but expected for a feel-good light read. This book is probably best appreciated by LDS readers.
Debbie
My daughter and I really liked this book. It had some good lessons in it.

Merged review:

This is a really great book. My daughter and I really enjoy reading it. There are some good life lessons in it.
Tracy
What a surprising little gem this was! I don't normally read LDS comedy, but this was thought-provoking, humorous, and utterly charming. I'm really looking forward to reading everything she has written. :)
Heather
Fun story. I never really considered all of the pressure that comes from winning the lottery. The lawyers, the security, the estate planner, family demands, handling relationships--crazy stuff.
Danae
A fun bit of LDS fiction. Interesting change to have the Relief Society presidency be the bad guys! Not too predictable. I enjoyed it-- entertaining, uplifting, some interesting ideas. Fun story.
Cherri
Karen goes from ward charity case to benefactor as she wins lottery. Very cute, and shows how difficult it is to accept someone else's good luck, and how hard it is to make changes in your life.
Peggy
This book made me laugh. On the surface it's a silly book with moments of comedic genius but deeper it touches on the subjects of judging others and forgiveness.
Sheila
I loved this book! It was funny, yet touching, at the same time. Susan has done an excellent job with this novel. A longer review will be coming soon on my blog.
Karlene Browning
Very funny. A great little story with a good message hidden in the humor. I thought her characterizations were absolutely golden—especially the main character, Karen.
Amanda
What if an LDS woman won the lottery? I really liked this book. It was written well and made me laugh. The main characters are likeable and interesting. I recommend it.
Mindy
Different then I thought it would be. Really liked it. Karen is a great lady with a big heart. Enjoyed how many stories were told.
Charmaine Puzey
this is a good quick read. Was funny. would be perfect for taking to the beach along with my hello magazine:)
Jennie
I had a good time reading this book. It's funny and I needed a good laugh.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Unfinished Business Brotherly Love Shaking Down Santa Unfinished Business - Book 2 in the Unfinished Business Series Push on