Start by marking “America: Our Next Chapter: Tough Questions, Straight Answers” as Want to Read:
America: Our Next Chapter: Tough Questions, Straight Answers

America: Our Next Chapter: Tough Questions, Straight Answers

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  45 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Senator Chuck Hagel has long been admired by his colleagues on both sides of the Senate floor for his honesty, integrity, and common-sense approach to the challenges of our times. The "Los Angeles Times" has praised his "bold positions on foreign policy and national security" and wondered, "What's not to like?" In "America: Our Next Chapter," Nebraska-born Hagel offers a h ...more
Published July 8th 2008 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published March 25th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about America

Susan Jordan
Chuck Hagel takes a few minutes at the beginning of the book to acknowledge that he was in favor of and voted to authorize the Iraq war. Then he spends time throughout the remainder of the book laying sole blame on George W. Bush. For me, this ruined his credibility and made the rest of the book useful solely for historical interest.
Melissa
Oct 28, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hmmmm. . . I wonder what my old boss has to say.

Hagel for Secretary of State!!
Margaret Madden
Jan 11, 2016 Margaret Madden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
I was using this as reference material for college essay. The more I read, the more I liked it. The senator seems ready to admit earlier mistakes under the Bush Administration yet is humble enough to explain how they happened. He had good insight into many of the tensions between Congress and the President yet doesn't come across too holier than thou, like other Republicans, I had to return book before finishing it completely, but on the strength of what I read, I give it a strong 4/5. Will borr ...more
Athan Tolis
Obviously, I did not read this book for the content, but to get a feel about the man who might become defence secretary.

Just as well, because the book is overall unimpressive. If you are looking for the definitive source of conventional wisdom on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, Iran, China, the war on terrorism, then this is an OK book. At least the man dares voice the things that most often go unsaid on all these topics for fear of falling out of line. But it's really cliche after cliche. If
Cody
Feb 07, 2013 Cody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to know more about Sen. Hagel considering his nomination for SecDef. I've always read good things about the Senator from smart people so I picked his book up when I happened across it at a thrift store. Moderate Republicans seem to have become an extinct species and after reading Hagel's book, I'm more sad that the GOP has lurched so far to the right. Senator Hagel has a lot of good ideas on foreign and domestic policy and I think he's going to make a fine Secretary of Defense.
Douglas Pierre
Mar 01, 2013 Douglas Pierre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book. I can understand why President Obama choose him for Secretary of Defense. His philosophy is very similar to that of the President. He has very good understanding of America's role in the world and how America should proceed. He has good ideas. He is very candid. The book is timely and easy to read.

Jug
Jul 10, 2008 Jug rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm almost done with it but I'm a big fan. Chuck Hagel has a good head on his shoulders. He does an excellent job explaining his moderate views on various issues with sound reasoning. It's a great read.
Amy
May 05, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and I agree with Senator Hagel on a lot of points, but his opinions on immigration have got to go. Bring all the scientists you want from other countries, but get them naturalized!
John McLaughlin
May 01, 2009 John McLaughlin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Democrats
Recommended to John by: Author's forum at Wash Nat Cathedral
So far, brilliant straight talk from a Republican...! Chuck Hagel will open up a yeller-dog Democrat's mind; he did mine.
John
Apr 24, 2008 John is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: REPUBLICANS
Recommended to John by: diane rhems
Still working on this one - thank the universe for traitors like Chuck Hagel.
Toesnorth's mom
excellent until he talks taxes and immigration then he turns Rep in full force
Gordon
Gordon marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Ownbymom Ownby
Ownbymom Ownby marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Gabor
Gabor marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
ray novak
ray novak rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Don Peterson
Don Peterson rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2015
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2015
Anna
Anna added it
Dec 27, 2015
Janet Walker
Janet Walker rated it really liked it
May 06, 2015
dao
dao rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2015
Cindy Hiles
Cindy Hiles rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2015
Will
Will added it
Feb 01, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Angelita T
Angelita T marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Debbi
Debbi is currently reading it
Nov 14, 2014
Policywank
Policywank rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2014