Start by marking “With This Fling...” as Want to Read:
With This Fling...

With This Fling...

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  246 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Successful archaeologist Charlotte Greenstone has no time for men, so invents a convenient one--who bears a highly "inconvenient" resemblance to sexy stranger Greyson Tyler! To protect her mortifying white lie, Charlotte begs Grey to act as her temporary fiance....One glimpse of Charlotte's killer curves, and Grey can't resist making his own outrageous proposition--he'll p ...more
Published June 7th 2011 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about With This Fling..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With This Fling...

AgentScully
I liked just about everything. Great humor, witty dialogue, likable heroine, loved the hero, awesome chemistry. Could have done more with the OW. Didn't much like the melodramatic accident, the hero being pulled off his pet project in Galapagos. Might have been better with maybe heroine realizing on her own that she's OK with some travel.

I liked KH's voice, will read more by her.

I didn't think the conflict was all about careers, like they're both ambitious and unwilling to compromise. That migh
Jacqueline
Another satisfying romance from a favorite author. I love KH's sparkling writing. The story is lovely with not a lot of high flying angst. It is rather the story of a couple who meet in a cute way, help each other out and are really attracted to each other. But after a romantic interlude the heroine decides that their lifestyles and what they want out of life are not compatible so she breaks it off. Then she turns up pregnant of course and the rest of story is how they find a compromise. Both of ...more
RLA
To comfort her beloved dying godmother the heroine Charlotte pretended to have a fiance, which Charlotte had a great time imagining and describing. When work colleagues hear about her 'fiance' Charlotte tries to play down the relationship, only one of her friends gets in contact with the company he supposedly worked for asking for a photo to be sent for Charlotte. Instead of the photo Charlotte actually gets a box full of stuff belonging to a Dr G Tyler, who by some strange coincidence shares bo ...more
LLCSpokane
I really enjoyed this book. Charlotte the h is an archeology professor at a University in Sidney. Her parents died when she was very young and she was raised by her Godmother. Her Godmother is dying and is worried about Charlotte being all alone, so h invents a fictional fiancee to relieve her Godmother's mind. The fictional fiancee's name is Thadeus Jeremiah Gilbert Tyler, known as Gil to the h, TJ to his mother and Tyler to his colleagues. The invented fiancee is all things wonderful and fortu ...more
Saly
With this Fling was a light read. Charlotte makes up a fiancee for her dying godmother, she's an archaeologist, so were her parents who were legends in the field and she has travelled extensively with her godmother but for the past five years she's been teaching since she's tired of the travel.

Her made up fiancee results in someone's belongings coming to her office and that person is Greyson. He likes his job, the constant travel and moving around so when Charlotte confesses what she did he has
Emmie Dark
Really enjoyed this book - read it in one sitting on our sneaky extra little Easter holiday day.

I've had other people rave to me about this book and it lived up to expectations. Good fun story, snappy dialogue, interesting characters, believeable conflict. You don't need me to say anymore -- just read it.

Although I will add something else. One thing that was remarkable about this book compared to other typical category romances was the additional characters. For once, a heroine with friends. A
Janice
Really liked this Harlequin. The dialogue was snappy and humorous. It reminded me of the dialogue on the Gilmore Girls. Fast and quirky. It also brought tears to my eyes at times. A feel good read.
Jenny Schwartz
A category romance that beautifully illustrates the brilliance of categories: Emotional punch. And that while staying with the structure of a category, it felt fresh. I loved that the heroine was rich, but worked. So often it's only the heroes who are allowed to be rich but professionally engaged. The side characters were well-drawn, people in their own right. Great story. A keeper.

Plus, the title is fantastic.
Kate
Overall rating - 4.25 stars

This book has one of the funniest scenes I've ever read of a heroine trying to decide how to tell the hero she's pregnant.
Judi
As soon as I started reading this book I couldn’t help but notice the similarities to another book I had recently read.

A young woman makes up a story about a fake fiancé to appease the worries of her dying godmother. Insert Grandma worrying, but not dying about her granddaughter and you’ve got the same set-up as Yours to Keep by Shannon Stacey.

Only in With This Fling you get a more cerebrally matched duo in Associate Professor of Archaeology Charlotte Greenstone and Dr. Greyson Tyler, botanist.

I
Jo
I don't normally choose this category of romance, but it was the top pick in category romance in Australia for 2011.

What wasn't clear from the blurb was how funny the book is. The banter between the loopy heroine and the adventurous but rude hero is the true highlight of the book and a reason for anyone to read it. It's classy writing.

I was actually disappointed when the heroine finds out she's pregnant - it was such a fresh storyline up until then. Two academics, both globe-trotters (no small t
Beate
It has never taken me longer to get through a Harlequin book than this one. Usually I read those in a couple hours, but it took me days to get through this one. I really wanted to flounce it, but I like to torture myself, so I kept on reading.

One of the things that annoyed me to no end was the "said she/exlaimed he" crap that littered this book. You know, author, we don't live in Jane Austen times. You're not Charlotte Brontë, so give up the verb before the pronoun. It's nothing short of annoyin
Estara
Feb 16, 2012 Estara rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Estara by: Li
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2012
Jen
Rating: 4.5/5

An archaeologist whips up a pretend fiancé to please her dying godmother. Turns out this figment of her wild imagination actually exists. Sort of. Charlotte Greenstone, meet Greyson Tyler, the man of your dreams. Lots of sassy banter, sexy times and complications ensue. This story was especially laugh out loud funny. There are a number of snippets I adore, including this:

"What particular book of etiquette are you working from?" he said.

"Mine."

"Don't suppose you have a spare?"

"It's a
Elisabeth
Apr 28, 2014 Elisabeth rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elisabeth by: Kelly Hunter glom
This is quintessential Kelly Hunter - likable characters, sparkling banter, an interesting setting and lots of really interesting information about archealogy, tenureship, academia and water weeds.

Not as enjoyable for me as others of hers but that is probably because I wasn't as invested in the characters. Still better than a lot of rubbish that is out there.
Angela James
I've been reading Kelly Hunter's backlist and this is the first of her books I really haven't enjoyed all that much. I still think her writing is strong, but the storyline itself didn't work for me.

spoiler: (view spoiler)

In addition to the spoiler part, which is a key reason the book didn't work for me, I also fo
Violet90
I liked this book it was a cute story and very short for my liking. I just wished the author made an epilogue where we get to see their wedding and their baby. We don't even know if it is a girl or a boy and I wanted to know that since the baby was the main reason they fell in love. I mean that is my perspective about this novel because if Charlotte wasn't pregnant then she probably would never have gottan back together with Greyson so the baby was the major factor into making their relationship ...more
Kat at Book Thingo
See my full review at Book Thingo.

Hunter excels in this kind of setup—intense, passionate and with an increasing sense of desperation as the hero and heroine begin to realise what it’ll cost them to let the other go. But even as they go through heartache, their interactions include a certain playfulness that underscores their growing affection for each other. This book proves that finely tuned character development and emotional honesty can turn even the most maligned clichés in romance fiction
Kobie
loved this book. it was funny and irreverent and clever and just all kinds of fun.
Modesty_b
loved the dialogues and all the characters ... especially gil who got eaten :P hehehe
Diamond

very good english

rich h

modern & equal relationship

very few H POV :(
HєllyBєlly
I enjoyed the sample immensely, but I was waiting for the writing style to change from what I felt was very "prologuey"

They way this book is written made me feel like there was a filter between me and the action, making me unable to wholly connect to the story. Also, Charlotte - her unusual upbringing to boot - was a little bit too perfect for me to buy into as a believable character.

However, there was some drama and some future potential mum-in-law bonding that gave this book an extra half star
Hilly
2.75 stars. Rounded up for flashes of witty, humorous, real-life banter.

This could have been so much better than it ended up being. I really liked the characters (even the supporting ones) individually, and enjoyed their verbal sparring ... to a point. Unfortunately, the sum of the parts was less than the whole, and the story fell afoul of too many cliches, absurdities and plot-holes. Ultimately, I wanted to like the book more than I could.
June
What to do when you want left alone? Invent a fiancé who is far away and can't be bothered with making an appearance.

What to do when you've boxed up your office and someone sends it somewhere other than where you asked for? Go track it down and then take advantage of the made up fiancé story you suddenly find yourself a part of.

This was a comical story in that way. Mix ups and things gone awry. I enjoyed this story.
Diane
this book was just so appealing to me. i can perfectly understand the heroine imagining the perfect fiance to comfort both herself and her dying godmother, and her horror at discovering that her co-workers think he's real and try to help her find "closure" at his untimely "death." and dare i bandy the term "witty repartee" here? now i know why i ordered this author's entire backlist!
Ms_prue
Let me count the ways this book wins:
1) Set in Sydney, but didn't once make me cringe about it.
2) Both main characters are kick-arse academics.
3) The heroine is the obscenely wealthy one in this relationship.
4) Boats.
5) PNG.
6) A pregnancy plot that didn't once make me rage or squick.
7) Cheesy title in no way reflects the cheese factor of the actual story.
ms bookjunkie
After the eyeroll-worthy ridiculousness of the beginning (she got rid of a fake fiancé by having him disappear in PNG with the possibly of having been eaten by natives!), it was a lovely story. It gave me food for thought and I do believe I need to reread it someday.
Helen
This was my first Kelly Hunter book and it won't be the last I really enjoyes this story Charlotte is a great heroine and I really got a laugh and Grey was the right hero for her. I would have like an epilogue with this story though.
Great read
Vanessa Kelly
Another fun book with a great heroine. I love Kelly Hunter's knack for making improbable situations came to life in a genuine, heartfelt way. Her characters are always believable and realistic. And smart, which I so appreciate!
Li
Not a totally original plot device, but the what-happens-when-your-made-up-fiance-turns-up-in-the-flesh setup made me laugh.

I thought Charlotte and Grey played off each other very well, and liked the secondary characters.
  • Doukakis's Apprentice
  • Craving the Forbidden (The Fitzroy Legacy #1)
  • Once Touched, Never Forgotten (Harlequin Presents #3034)
  • Beauty and the Greek
  • Greek Tycoon, Waitress Wife
  • Not For Sale
  • First Time Lucky?
  • The Millionaire's Marriage
  • One Last Night
  • The Bride's Awakening (Modern Romance)
  • Song of the Waves
  • Behind the Palace Walls
  • A Dark Sicilian Secret
  • In Bed with the Boss
  • The Heir from Nowhere
  • The Wedding Date
  • The Billionaire's Pregnant Mistress (Petronides Brothers Duo #1 & Greek Tycoons #4)
Australian born Kelly Hunter is a three time Romance Writers of America Rita finalist, a USA Today Bestselling author and loves writing to the demands of the short category romance form.
More about Kelly Hunter...
The One That Got Away The Man She Loves To Hate (The Eligible Bachelors, #1) Wife for a Week (Bennett #1) Exposed: Misbehaving with the Magnate (Hot Bed of Scandal #1) What the Bride Didn't Know (The Wests, #3)