Start by marking “The African Dream: The Diaries of the Revolutionary War in the Congo” as Want to Read:
The African Dream: The Diaries of the Revolutionary War in the Congo

The African Dream: The Diaries of the Revolutionary War in the Congo

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  252 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Ernesto "Che" Guevara was one of the greatest exemplars of the revolutionary 1960s, a man whose heroic adventures were essential to the success of the Cuban Revolution and whose legend fired the imaginations of a whole generation. In 1965, amid worldwide conjecture, Guevara left Cuba, where he was a minister in Fidel Castro's postrevolutionary government, and traveled inco ...more
Published September 11th 2001 by Grove Press (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The African Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The African Dream

Mariam
"I learnt certain things in the Congo. Some mistakes I will never make again, others perhaps I will - and there will be new ones that I shall commit. I set off with more faith than ever in the guerrilla struggle, yet we failed. My responsibility is great; I shall not forget the defeat, nor its most precious lessons."

Africa has a long way to go before it reaches revolutionary maturity. - Che
Arnoldo Garcia
Oct 19, 2014 Arnoldo Garcia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Che buffs, historians, diarists, writers.
Shelves: historic-matter
Only Ernesto Che Guevara could disappear into a sugar cane field as a volunteer worker in Cuba and re-emerge as an internationalist fighting for liberation in Africa, living his words with deeds. Guevara learned bitter lessons leading a guerrilla column in the Congo (1965) that in any case would still cost him his life almost two years later in Bolivia. He starts his diary with a gut-wrenching transparency of truthfulness that only he, Che, mastered. So much that this work of his time in the Con ...more
Rob G.
Nicely written and easily presented. I enjoy the honesty that Che Guevara provides. He admits his mistakes and does not see himself above any other loyal solider. That is something to admire.
Museveni
Incredibly fascinating. Che landed in Congo full of hope for international proletarianism, after a tour of Africa, visiting the continent's many so called anti-imperialist leaders.

In Congo though he found, instead of the peasant supported revolutionaries he hoped for:
- warring tribes' war lords abusing the neighbouring farmers they're supposed to be fighting for
- corrupt mid and high level political leaders, using their international funding for alcohol, prostitutes, and drugs
- and soldiers th
Tim
This book is just one chapter in the life of one of the greatest revolutionaries of the past century. Guevara is not afraid to admit his shortcomings in this book, and this writing will show the tremendous drive he had to improve the condition of the world's peoples from the exploitation of neo-colonialism and imperialistic empire. He saw the expedition in the Congo as more than just a nationalistic mission, but one that would affect the tentacles of capitalism from destroying even more of the w ...more
Jeremy
A mixed experience for me. In the beginning I was pretty enthusiastic about the book. The prologue, which gave a good overview of the events in the book, was informative and intriguing. The Che-written book that follows was also pretty readable. And early on I enjoyed seeing his early impressions of the Congo and his frank admissions of where he felt he went wrong. But after a while, the story felt bogged down by details. The book became more and more of a slog as I lost track of the various cha ...more
Marc
again no real diary. Despite that, the book still has its moments, since Che is describes honestly his state of mind at all times. The major complain here is the length, it simply did not happen enough in the Conga to warrant 320 pages. I often found myself bored and not paying much attention, when Che was complaining for the 100th time (no exaggeration)about the attitude of the african revolutionairies. Only recommened for people really interested in the man.
(Jenn) Yune Lee
as a friend once told me, by the time che was writing this, he was seeing, breathing, eating, drinking, and shitting revolution...

it was a bit too much for me, especially as i am in west/central africa and seeing some strange similarities between the africa through che's eyes and mine... well, it was not an uplifting read... his passion and eloquence is admirable, but...
Kay
I think this is an important book, but the intro deifies Che, in a way that is unnecessary and off-putting, especially in a book in which his mission fails. Also, Che comes of as a bit of a racist in the diary, mocking the Congolese's religious beliefs. It drags a bit. Not much else to say on the matter.
Rui Igreja
The diaries of Che Guevara during the months he spent fighting the "imperialists" in the east part of Congo. The book starts with "This is the history of a failure", and, with all the Congolese organization mess, Che concludes that the Congolese weren't ready for the Revolution.
Abe
Jan 25, 2009 Abe added it
Ernesto "Che" Guevara de la Serna's diary of the Cuban military expedition to the Congo. Once again, a biased account of the conflict, but it is a good descriptor of the frustration Guevara would encounter later in Bolivia.
Max
Sep 16, 2009 Max added it
Like most books I read, not a feel-good story of the year. A very intense and enlightening chronicle of Che's work in the Congo, however.
David Russomano
Extremely informative. This book described a set of circumstances I knew nothing about.
Lennon
A great view of why revolutions sometimes fail, poor communication.
Joseph L.
boring. historical. i learned.
Abby Koch
A guilty pleasure
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Chris Swart
Chris Swart marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Vasumadras
Vasumadras marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Mohammad Rameez
Mohammad Rameez marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Alicia Ducat
Alicia Ducat marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Adam Chwirut
Adam Chwirut marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Lucia
Lucia marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Omar Alshuaibi
Omar Alshuaibi marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Randa
Randa marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
  • Fidel and Che: A Revolutionary Friendship
  • Blue Clay People: Seasons on Africa's Fragile Edge
  • Darfur: A Short History of a Long War
  • Ernesto Guevara, También Conocido Como El Che
  • All Things Must Fight to Live: Stories of War and Deliverance in Congo
  • Ambling Into History: The Unlikely Odyssey of George W. Bush
  • Villa and Zapata: A History of the Mexican Revolution
  • When Victims Become Killers: Colonialism, Nativism, and the Genocide in Rwanda
  • Willow Weep for Me: A Black Woman's Journey Through Depression
  • Looking for Lovedu: A Woman's Journey Through Africa
  • The Challenge for Africa
  • The Wonga Coup: Guns, Thugs and a Ruthless Determination to Create Mayhem in an Oil-Rich Corner of Africa
  • The Assassination of Lumumba
  • The Zapatista Reader
  • Che: A Memoir
  • Jihad: The Rise of Militant Islam in Central Asia
  • Toward the African Revolution
  • Fela: This Bitch of a Life
Ernesto "Che" Guevara, commonly known as El Che or simply Che, was a Marxist revolutionary, physician, author, intellectual, guerrilla leader, diplomat, and military theorist. A major figure of the Cuban Revolution, since his death Guevara's stylized visage has become an ubiquitous countercultural symbol and global icon within popular culture.

His belief in the necessity of world revolution to adva
More about Che Guevara...
The Motorcycle Diaries: Notes on a Latin American Journey Guerrilla Warfare The Bolivian Diary: Authorized Edition Reminiscences of the Cuban Revolutionary War: Authorized Edition مذكرات أرنستو تشي جيفارا

“The best form of saying is being” 42 likes