Allah, Liberty and Love: The Courage to Reconcile Faith and Freedom

Allah, Liberty and Love: The Courage to Reconcile Faith and Freedom

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  33 reviews
In Allah, Liberty and Love, Irshad Manji paves a path for Muslims and non-Muslims to transcend the fears that stop so many of us from living with honest-to- God integrity: the fear of offending others in a multicultural world as well as the fear of questioning our own communities. Since publishing her international bestseller, The Trouble with Islam Today, Manji has moved...more
Published June 14th 2011 by Atria Books (first published June 2011)

Heather Leiran-Gassman
The book is expressly written for Muslim and non-Muslim readers, however I think that non-Muslims would prefer a condensed version of this book coupled with some chapters on the Muslim faith in general. Our bookclub of non-Muslims definitely enjoyed parts of the book and had a very good discussion, but most had a hard time getting through a number of the chapters. All of us gave the book a partial thumbs down vote.

In the book, Manji spends too much time going through her hatemail and responding...more
Josh
So poignant and amazing, Manji is definitely an author to check out. The chapter "Culture is not Sacred" is applicable to all faiths, people and nations.
Syahira Sharif
I've been curious about reading this book for a while ever since all the hype about the book being banned and someone was arrested for selling it and another for publishing it and people of all sort being trying to demonize the book that I decided to pick this one up and see what was all the fuss about. Will I get in trouble for reading this? Well, they didn't exactly ban the English version so I probably will escape scot-free and since I am not a distributor, no one can legally stop me from rea...more
Amy
I loved this book immediately! Irshad Manji writes exactly how she speaks, which might frustrate some readers, but I found it made the book light hearted. Considering the tricky and sensitive subject matter, I think it is a good technique.

I did get a bit bored by the end of chapter 5 (which may have something to do with nice weather). I felt is written for a Muslism audience, but since most Muslims that should read this won't, it was good in helping me figure out ways to converse. Like on pg 17...more
Debbie
Heard the author Irshad Manji, on CBC radio and she was fantastic - funny, informative and compelling. Her position is that people of the world need moral courage. That people in general and Muslims in particular are confusing faith with dogma and that is a horrible mistake. Westerners are too afraid of being labelled a bigot to denounce obvious atrocities practiced in the Muslim culture, for example female circumcision and stoning, beheading etc.
It is a real refreshing view and it certainly, wh...more
Selena
I agree with Manji's message and mission, but this book could have used some serious editing for conciseness, flow and the removal and Manji's gigantic ego.
Jessica
Irshad Manji wasted most of the book defending herself instead of providing insightful commentary into Islam and the plethora of perspectives within the religion. Although I view Manji as a courageous and admirable woman, her book missed the mark. Negativity and attacks should have been supplanted with thoughful dialogue, which Manji is more than capable of engaging in.
Jonathan
The colloquial style is sometimes distracting, but you should not let that prevent you from hearing about multiple viewpoints on faithful Islam.
Terri Jacobson
An incredible overview of Muslims in the world today. An incredible author. Shows paths to reconciliation in the world today.
Shirin
Irshad doesn't have to sell to me. I am a 'heretic' too. But there are areas where my heresy differs from her. That said, it is not my place to say if i am right or she is wrong. The fact is we will never know till the day of judgement. To the Mullah that vilified her, good luck when it is your turn to face your Creator. You should pray hard to hope you are right.

Irshad is right AND wrong when she said the the Quran insist on people should pray but does not recommend ways of doing it. The Quran...more
Michael Terpstra
This books helped me understand the many problems facing Muslims who want to live their faith in the 21st Century. The author, writes a very courageous book spelling out ways of overcoming obstacles facing whose who are trapped in the culture of our multicultural world. The book is organized around seven chapters that elaborate in detail seven lessons the author has developed from her experience gained from her previous book, The Trouble with Islam Today: A Muslim's Call for Reform in Her Faith...more
John Ison
This a wonderful script: clear, articulate, forceful, humorous but very serious at the same time. A devout Muslim, she very effectively segregates its values from its practice, its principles from the archaic Arab cultural dogma that has hijacked it. She is one of small cadre of champions tackling Muslim moderates and non-Muslim apologists head on, challenging them to take on the radical extremists who have come to dominate Islam over the past 700 years.

Irshad is an amazingly courageous and ins...more
Michael Zehabe
Ms. Manji and I do not share world views, but she's in my top ten favorite people. I don't know anyone who says it better: Whether you are Muslim, Christian, or Jewish, you have a duty to find and rectify the shortcomings in our religion.

That's the other compliment I have for this wise woman. She separates religion from holy text. I agree that no religion lives up to its holy text. Holy text helps us to identify and repair our religious and personal problems.

Westerners and Muslims are too afraid...more
Ishmael Seaward
I read her first book, "The Trouble with Islam Today". A key phrase from that book: "Islam is on thin ice with me." She then proceeded to explain why. It was interesting, but I didn't understand, given all the issues she had with the religion, why she didn't simply chuck it. So I figure this might throw more light on the subject.

Unfortunately, it didn't, so I simply stopped reading it. It consisted mainly of anecdotes, and why people, if the system is going to be changed, must stand up and throw...more
Natya Nauri
For the first time, I was excited to read this book as it is banned in Indonesia (yes! forbidden books are more tempting to read!) But after I went through chapter 1, I decided not to finish reading it. Why? I completely agree with what the author thinks, that every religions teach about compassion, and extremism caused by the people, not by the religion. Very make sense! However, the way she wrote this book makes me completely off. The introduction part is still ok, but after that, I just found...more
Boomerang
I think it's high time Muslims were more critical of those who interpret the Koran - acting as moral guardians for the masses. There are passages in the Koran that ask people to show equal respect for men and women, yet those who have created Sharia law, seek to repress women's rights to maintain male power in backward societies. It's got to be challenged by Muslims themselves.For a book with a female prophet challenging the orthodox view of Islam, read Goochs Mosaic Deceptions. This woman Irsha...more
Susan Jaffe Pober
Irshad Manji is the director of the Moral Courage Project at the Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service. But don't let that title scare you into thinking that this is a heavy scholarly work. It's a collection of her thoughts as well as the thoughts of her supporters and detractors about what we all can do to foster understanding between Muslims and non-Muslim. This is an oversimplification but if you've ever heard Irshad speak, you can hear her speaking the words of her book. And if...more
Kate
I am blessed enough to be taking Irshad class. This book is amazing- great frames to question your values and ideologies as well as how to deal with those who push back on your ideas.

Speak truth to power- act with moral courage!
Dany
Keberanian dan kejujuran seorang Manji mengantarkan ia pada sosok tuhan yang ia yakini untuk kemanusiaannya yang lebih baik. Dan yang lebih penting, ia menantang semua orang untuk berijtihad, istilahnya, dengan nafas kebebasan. -___-

Dan sejujurnya aku harus baca buku ini sekali lagi dan lagi sih. Ijtihad berulang-ulang kan gakpapa ya Manji? :)
Ayu Puspita Sari
Buku yang sedang ramai dibicarakan karena penulisnya terkena masalah dengan salah satu ormas di Indonesia. Dan begitu saya baca biografinya, sepertinya sang penulis adalah tokoh Islam liberal. Well, let's see. Mungkin akan saya baca bersama Sejarah Tuhan (yang tidak rampung-rampung).
Mohd Nordin Che Omar
I read the Malay version of this book distributed by ZI Publications S/B. I disagree with what the author has written as its totally deviate from the truly teaching of Islam as per the Holy Quran and Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad SAW (PBU).
Svetlana
Second book by Irshad. As strong and honest as the first one. Just the feeling that quite a few things have already been said. Maybe unavoidable when you read two non-fiction books from the same authore on the same topic in a row.
Mar
2.5 Manji tries to respond rationally to what are often very emotionally charged issues; which means that while her argument makes sense, often in the heat of the moment individuals are unable to hear it. Liked her first book better.
Jonathan
The road to understanding means reading. This is a great read, perfect for gaining knowledge of the Muslim world. It helps incoming to grips with a community very few of us know. But remember it as a start of a longer journey.
Za
May 06, 2012 Za marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Buku yang belakangan lagi diperbincangkan di Twitter, katanya sih cukup mengguncang iman.. Well, let's see..
versi bahasa Indonesianya dapat dibaca disini https://www.irshadmanji.com/indonesia...
Jon Souza
great message but after first hundred pages was really repetitive and was too boring to finish. i really enjoyed and agreed with the authors insights just didnt have a compelling narrative to hold my interest
Danny Klopovic
Highly recommend this book - both secular and religious people of other faiths who are interested in supporting kindred spirits in the diverse world of Islam should read it.
Jack Oughton
Didn't really dig it, but i do like Irshad's plentiful sense of humour and her (metaphorical) cojones. Good show!
Rike Jokanan
Oct 20, 2012 Rike Jokanan is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I can finish reading this book in the near future. It is not a really important one for me.
Alicia
I loved the trouble with islam today... However, this book was just not flowing for me
  • Qur'an and Woman: Rereading the Sacred Text from a Woman's Perspective
  • The Tenth Parallel: Dispatches from the Fault Line Between Christianity and Islam
  • Rock the Casbah: Rage and Rebellion Across the Islamic World
  • The Islamist
  • Western Muslims and the Future of Islam
  • Do It Anyway: The New Generation of Activists
  • Islam: The Straight Path
  • Temptations of the West: How to Be Modern in India, Pakistan, Tibet, and Beyond
  • A Quiet Revolution: The Veil's Resurgence, from the Middle East to America
  • The Asian Journal of Thomas Merton
  • The Heart of Islam: Enduring Values for Humanity
  • Free for All: Fixing School Food in America (California Studies in Food and Culture, 28)
  • The Education of a British-Protected Child: Essays
  • Sexual Ethics in Islam: Feminist Reflections on Qur'an, Hadith, and Jurisprudence
  • Beyond Fundamentalism: Confronting Religious Extremism in the Age of Globalization
  • All You Can Eat: How Hungry is America?
  • Bull by the Horns: Fighting to Save Main Street from Wall Street and Wall Street from Itself
  • The Scandal of the Evangelical Conscience, Why Are Christians Living Just Like the Rest of the World?
Irshad Manji (born 1968) is a Canadian Muslim feminist, author, journalist, and activist. Manji is Director of the Moral Courage Project at New York University. The Moral Courage Project will teach young leaders to speak truth to power in their own communities. She is a well-known critic of radical Islam and orthodox interpretations of the Qur'an. The New York Times has described her as "Osama bin...more
More about Irshad Manji...
The Trouble With Islam Today: A Muslim's Call for Reform in Her Faith Musulmane Mais Libre The Trouble with Islam Today: A Wake-up Call for Honesty and Change Risking Utopia: On The Edge Of A New Democracy The Trouble with Islam: A Muslim's Call for Reform in Her Faith