Start by marking “The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler” as Want to Read:
The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler

The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler

Tyke Tiler is fond of a joke and of Danny Price. Their friendship lands Tyke in all kinds of trouble at Cricklepit Combined School. Matters come to a head when Tyke climbs the school's bell-tower and surprises everyone.
Library Binding, Large Print, 160 pages
Published June 1st 1986 by MacMillan Publishing Company (first published 1977)

Alanna by Tamora PierceTwelfth Night by William ShakespeareLeviathan by Scott WesterfeldEon by Alison GoodmanIn the Hand of the Goddess by Tamora Pierce
Girls disguised as Boys
240th out of 490 books — 623 voters
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsWatership Down by Richard AdamsThe Stand by Stephen KingThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanThe Shining by Stephen King
Best Books of the Decade: 1970's
407th out of 1,026 books — 1,172 voters

More lists with this book...

Apr 01, 2008 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fun little book is like a bridge between the classic British school story and modern kids' lit. Hard to find in the US, but worth a search.
Mar 31, 2009 Alice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: funny, young
I had this on audio tape as a young child, and many a long car journey whizzed by as I was transported into this world. One of my absolute favourites.
Sep 04, 2009 Fiona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read in year seven English when I was about 11/12 and remember thinking it was okay... not my usual.
Jul 30, 2011 Czol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
I love this book as a kid & it's so good to reread this. I want to recommend this to everyone, but I can't say why as the aspect of the story that makes it so amazing is a particular twist (which is on a MIND = BLOWN level) so to say exactly why the book is awesome I'd have to reveal a massive spoiler. So, just read it!
Helen rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2012
Manisha Kerai
Aug 25, 2015 Manisha Kerai rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This is the third time i'v read this wonderful book, the first time was when my teacher read this to us when I wass 10 and the second was soon after. I loved it then, and am glad to say I love it still. I couldn't help trying to guess her real name, even though I already know what it is!
Sep 04, 2011 Abid rated it really liked it
The book tells the story of ‘Tyke’ Tiler who is a 12 year old who has a notorious reputation for always being in and around trouble. We follow Tyke and best friend Danny Price in their last term at school. Danny suffers from a speech impediment which means Tyke has to interpret for him. When Tyke overhears teachers discussing the possibility of Danny being sent to a Special Needs School, he concocts a plan to keep him there. This plan does not pay off.
On Tyke’s last day of school he decides to f
Micki Lou
Micki Lou rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2012
Gareth Roberts
Jul 25, 2012 Gareth Roberts rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2012 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A light children's read for probably 8-10 yr olds. Follows themes of friendship and change. Having said that the are some cracking reads out there so I'm not sure if this really competes. Used to use it with yr 7 as a class transition novel but could easily be for year 6.
Feb 04, 2013 TonyQ rated it really liked it
Ha ha! I know its a children's book before you all guffaw but so is Harry Potter and I know many of you are reading away! This is one from my childhood that I remember vividly, so when I saw it on the shelf of my local library I just had to. Hilarious shenanegans (check spelling) and some raw prejudice. And a sweet twist at the end, that was very well disguised throughout the book!!
First read around about 8 years old (1979). Took me back to my old primary school in Scotland.
Maaz Khan
the ending of the story of the book was good but the climax,starting and the trouble was not that good
Sep 13, 2013 Tanya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-as-a-child
I read this at school and really enjoyed it, take a naughty not nasty kid with their friends getting into trouble at school and generally just going what most of us got up to at times at school., you believe you know Tyke until the end when the twist comes.
Ella Daisy
Mar 07, 2014 Ella Daisy rated it really liked it
Shelves: school-book-club
I did this in my year six book club as our first book and I really enjoyed it. Me and my friend Swazz really enjoyed as there is a twist when you find out Tyke is a girl. Good for 9 to 12 year olds, very realistic and it covers the subject of before secondary school so good for year sixes.
Apr 22, 2014 Sharon rated it did not like it
one of those enforced school books that got me into trouble for finishing the damn book instead of waiting for the rest of the class and thus ruining the plot twist. It's not like I told anyone
A cute book. I read this as part of a challenge to read something in my parents' lifetime, but before my own, and the 1970s innocence charmed me.
May 27, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
I read this to my Year 5 class and they loved it. They could really relate to the characters and it brought up some interesting questions. I had to slightly edit as I read as the language wasn't entirely suitable in places.
Kelsey rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2014
Dec 05, 2014 Christina rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, young-adult
All is not as it seems when Tyke Tyler gets up to no good in a great school adventure story. Gene Kemp's use of reader stereotyping is brilliant, as is the punch-line to the story. One for all teens (and adults).
Robyn rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2014
Kirsty Grant
Jan 27, 2015 Kirsty Grant rated it it was amazing
Buy this book for your child immediately. I was a bit worried when I first started the book because it is written for a very young audience but I soon became absorbed by the content. I adore the characters of Tyke and Danny. Tyke is such a caring wee soul who regularly gets into trouble for helping Danny.
The book is laugh out loud funny and I particularly liked the battle scene and the new (good looking teacher) scene. I am not going to spoil the end of the book but Gene Kemp is a genius. Its n
Soph Nesbitt
Soph Nesbitt rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2015
The Book Lender
Sep 30, 2015 The Book Lender rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
It's hard to talk about the most interesting aspect of this book without getting in to spoiler territory, but suffice it to say that the "twist" - which is revealed in the last line of the book (and which I did know before reading the book) - didn't feel too tacked on, exploitative or shock value-y, which it could easily have done.

The book definitely feels very '70s (warnings for casual sexism), but also has a timeless quality to it (by timeless, I mean any time between the end of WW2 and the 90
Mar 10, 2016 Nana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book I read in English class and it was really funny. Some of the words were so British that I didn't get it! The biggest surprise in the book was when I realized that Tyke wasn't really um...a Tyke--hehe--you should read the book to find out what I mean.
Mar 25, 2016 Carolyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: carnegie-medal
The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler. Gene Kemp. 1977 @CILIPCKG #Carnegie A slice of an #English kid's life. Cute & tricky.

Reviewed @reallyReads
Mar 25, 2016 Child960801 rated it really liked it
A fascinating book. I had intended to read this out loud to my children, but I think it is still too old for them still. Part is that the language is very british and as I had trouble with it some times, I didn't want to have to stop every three words to explain what they were saying. Also *spoiler* the whole gender thing was misleading, partly because there were illustrations in the copy I was reading and they were definitely of a boy.
Jacqueline Renault
Jacqueline Renault rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
James Cotter
May 06, 2016 James Cotter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book from my childhood that I remember very well as its based around my old primary school St Sidwells in Exeter, Devon. The description of the bell tower is spot on and the classrooms and I was lucky enough as a 8/9 year old to hear the author herself read some of the book in our assembly. I remember vividly meeting her and liking the book. 18 years later I revisited it after finding a copy in my school library where I work as a teaching assistant. It reads very well despite its age, being wr ...more
May 04, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. This is a cute story. I read it with my ESL students in a play format and it worked out fairly well. Some of the vocabulary used by the head was extremely challenging for my students, and it musty be the same for a younger audience. But overall, cute and relatable.
John Wilkes
John Wilkes rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
  • The Cuckoo Clock
  • Jennings & Darbishire
  • The Ship That Flew
  • Bijna iedereen kon omvallen
  • Autumn Term (The Marlows, #1)
  • A Kid for Two Farthings