Start by marking “Under the Feet of Jesus” as Want to Read:
Under the Feet of Jesus

Under the Feet of Jesus

3.59  ·  Rating Details ·  1,436 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
A novel of cultural clashes, social injustice, and love amongst the migrant farm workers of contemporary California, as seen through the eyes of a young Mexican-American woman.
Published April 1st 1996 by Plume Books (first published April 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Under the Feet of Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under the Feet of Jesus

Melissa
Aug 20, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you aren't careful you might miss it. If you try to read it fast because it appears to be an easy read you'll do yourself a disservice. If you take the time to roll the lines around in your mouth, to savour them, you'll love this. Perfecto's hands, the peach, maggots and dirt...

If your a fan of Viramontes' short stories you'll not be disappointed in this read. Nothing is lost in the longer format... images are still uncomfortable, characters so close to the surface, line after line beg for a
Dusty
Dec 27, 2008 Dusty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dusty by: Kelsey Hixenbaugh
Shelves: read-in-2008
I finished Under the Feet of Jesus just a few minutes ago. And already I am forgetting bits and pieces of the plot. But, really, this book's strength is not its plot. Where Viramontes excels is in her creation of stunning images -- the orange peel that Estrella's father slices for her with his fingernail, the unexpected downpour of pesticide that sheets Alejo while he's in a tree, the semen that slides down Perfecto's leg and evaporates when it hits a hot stone, etc. An interesting if not entire ...more
Tawny
Mar 21, 2008 Tawny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author: Helena Maria Viramontes
Title: Under the Feet of Jesus
Genre: coming-of-age novel
Publication Info: Penguin Group, New York, 1995
Recommended Age: 15 and older

Plot Summary: Thirteen-year-old Estrella is the oldest of the children in her family. She is the only one capable of helping her mother support everyone by working in the fields of California. They were abandoned by their father years before, so their mother got remarried, unfortunately to a man 40 years older and nearly too old to wor
Erasmo Guerra
Mar 30, 2013 Erasmo Guerra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book while attending the conference "HACIENDO CAMINOS: Mapping the Futures of U.S. Latina/o Literature."

Set against a lush and harsh landscape of the back-breaking work in the "piscas," or picking fields, and the stubborn poverty the hard labor fails to lift, this is a vivid look at the working poor reminiscent of the novel "The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck. Still, "Under the Feet of Jesus" has a lyrical voice all its own.

Though told from a number of points of view within a
Erin
Feb 19, 2013 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, it is not the most subtle of books. The symbolism (tar pit, barn, peaches, got it) is pretty straightforward and the names hit you over the head (Star, Perfecto, got it) are pretty straightforward, too. But it was a lovely read, and it picks up after part two. I may teach this with Steinbeck. Hello political books.
Brigitte
Mar 14, 2008 Brigitte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book on a very current event since the novel is about a family of Mexican migrant workers's hardship. Nothing melodramatic here, just a very moving story.
Hanson Menzies
Dec 31, 2016 Hanson Menzies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hanson by: English Proffessor
Kelly
Mar 31, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kelly Garwood
Viramontes, H. M. (1995). Under the feet of Jesus. New York, NY: Dutton.
Genre: Multicultural
Award(s): N/A
Format: book
Selection process:
Hunter, J. W. (Ed.). (2010). Helena Maria Viramontes (1954-). In Contemporary Literary Criticism Vol. 285 (pp. 227-229). Detroit: Gale, Cengage Learning. Retrieved from http://galenet.galegroup.com/servlet/...

Review:
“Don’t run scared. You stay there and look them in the eye. Don’t let them make you feel you did a crime for picking the vegetables t
Ellie
Nov 16, 2015 Ellie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This prose is frickin' beautiful. Trees like dancing women, leaves making a curtain of lace: whoa. Gorgeous. The House on Mango Street was lovely, but not like this.

description

But I just didn't care for this book, personally.

The descriptions were a little gross. A guy's fly is stuck, a girl's "buttocks bobbing", a mother cleans her daughter's "apricot vagina". I was uncomfortable, but I guess the context was okay.

At the end of the book, Estrella has the realization that she is the victim and these Americ
Rebecca
My rating is more like 2 and a half stars. I really wanted to like this book -- I had heard the author read a piece of nonfiction at last year's AWP, and it was breathtaking. I found her fiction to be less so.

This reads like an author's first novel (it may be for Viramontes, I'm not sure). This seems more to me like a short story that was stretched to be not-quite novel length. The author could have cut the first half for my taste. Also, there were far too many named characters in the beginning,
Scribbler King
UNDER THE FEET OF JESUS was ok. My main problem with it was that there wasn't much of a resolution. In fact, if you think about it, the family's life is falling apart around them just as the book ends. One person leaves, another person (presumably) dies, there are still lots of children to feed and there's even less money now to feed them with--and yet Estrella is standing on the roof feeling hopeful. Pray, what does she have to feel hopeful about? Heaven? Then why doesn't she step off the roof? ...more
Lori
Jan 14, 2015 Lori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very hard for me to rate. I wanted to rate it a one and I wanted to rate it a five. The writing is beautiful and the only way you can do it any justice is by reading it slowly. The plot was...well, was there a plot? Maybe towards the end? Which was why I almost rated it a one. That along with the fact that it abruptly ends without more explanation. I want to be one of those deep people who like books that end illusively, but I'm just not. I like to know what happens to the characte ...more
Sierra
I had to read this book for school, so of course I didn't enjoy it as much as books I pick out for myself, but it also wasn't as bad as some books I've had to read for school. I liked the tiny bits and pieces that we got to see of Alejo and Estrella's relationship, but I wish we could have gotten to see more. I wasn't really too interested in the other parts of the story and I found them all pretty confusing, but they weren't that bad. I was really disappointed with the ending, because I'm left ...more
Karen
Jul 19, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book (novella, actually) appeals on many levels. First, it is the story of a family of Chicano migrant workers in California, and the hardships they must endure. Secondly, it is a coming-of-age story about Estrella, oldest daughter, who is a young girl of 13, and who learns about what it is like to face adult life and to rely upon oneself. There is also a powerful backstory about Perfecto, the husband, his life, and the hard decisions he must make. Beautifully written (Veramontes has writte ...more
Kara
My first (harried) attempt at reading this book didn't permit me to enjoy the stark humanness of Viramontes' characters and her cinematic prose. This is a beautiful love story, not just between the teenage romance between Estrella and Alejo, but of the love of family and community. The novel follows a family of migrant workers, Estrella's mother Petra and her much-older lover Perfecto, while capturing the daily hardships and humanity of the oft-invisible hands that bring vegetables and fruit to ...more
Angie
Sep 23, 2012 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-for-class
Rating: 3.5

I wasn't expecting much from this novella but as I continued to read I fell in love with Viramontes' poetic descriptions! They were so beautiful! My favorite aspect (because I'm a romantic) was the blossoming love between Alejo and Estrella. Even though we don't quite get a resolution of their love or really, much of anything else, the ending was true to nature and bittersweet.

Also, Estrella is a wonderful character who defies age in this novel. She definitely takes that role of the o
Rochelle Comeaux
Nov 23, 2007 Rochelle Comeaux rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes reading Chicano literature
This book was a nice blend between Steinbeck's Clalifonia farming imagery and Cisneros' brilliant insight into the lives of Mexican-Americans and immigrants. The book includes a lot of untranslated Spanish which in my opinion added a great amount of character and was worth the confusion it sometimes created. I was not incredibly impressed by the plot development, but the characters were stunning and I felt like Viramontez captured the plight of some immigrants well. A good easy-read if you're in ...more
Susan
May 13, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, iu-libr
This is a powerful book, in part because it's told in such a simple and straightforward manner that the force comes from the situations and incidents being described. The book is the story of part of a summer in the life of Estrella, the eldest daughter in a migrant farm-working family, and her family and friends. At times, Viramonte's voice is almost lyrical; but what really makes the book sing is the characters, as they deal with what life throws at them.
Maythee
May 14, 2007 Maythee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With its overripe (pun intended) language, this novel gives a powerful insight into the lives of migrant workers (may of whom are born here, but receive none of the "rights" most of us take for granted) while also painting a rich picture of a young woman coming of age. Estrella is a well developed, thoughtful character whose actions live up to her name as she comes to embody brilliance.
Davidm
Aug 04, 2012 Davidm rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel served as the prose analysis selection for this year's Advanced Placement Literature exam. . .but beyond that it is worth the read--poetically written, grippingly told, you follow a young girl, child of migrant workers, as she attempts to understand her adult world.
Deja
Apr 03, 2012 Deja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous imagery & language in many places; evocative, particularly in depicting poverty & the struggles of immigrants who are trying to establish a home, but can also be slow in parts.
Deranged Pegasus
Oct 17, 2011 Deranged Pegasus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
An intriguing book, bringing to the fore the terrible lives led by immigrants as they worked in the fields, slaved in them. The fears they held and what little they had that was truly theirs.
Jessica
Vivid. I really enjoyed this book. The end is very ambiguous, though, which frustrates some people - although I felt like it was at least vaguely evident what the girl was going to do.
BiblioBabblers
Chosen by Joan
Sandy
Mar 13, 2009 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent... stick with it. Re-read it. So much on each page to catch and understand.
Alexi
Aug 23, 2008 Alexi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
SO slow going tho! My goodness!
Rebecca
Feb 25, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 yes
Mary
Ummm so where's the rest of it?

I had to read this for my Women's Studies class and I was actually really excited about it. Until I find out there was no ending. Like what the actual hell? Nothing was resolved and Estrella just climbs up onto a roof while her love interest is dying, her family's in a terrible situation, and the book just ends there.

And so many critics say that this means she gains her power. Excuse me? No.

This book ended and frankly nothing good came of it because there was no re
Jennifer Chow
Jan 20, 2017 Jennifer Chow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. I really liked the picture Viramontes gives us of field workers. It's a fascinating and heartbreaking world that I didn't have much exposure to. The words in the novel are all beautiful, poetic.

My only issue was with the teen relationship at the core of the story. I felt that there wasn't enough resolution at the end of the novel. However, I really appreciated learning about the families and workers that pull together in the fields.
Ryl
  • Drink Cultura: Chicanismo
  • Sex Trafficking: The Global Market in Women and Children
  • Butterfly Boy: Memories of a Chicano Mariposa
  • Migritude
Helena Maria Viramontes (born February 26, 1954) is an American fiction writer and professor of English.

(from Wikipedia)
More about Helena María Viramontes...