Start by marking “When Satan Wore A Cross” as Want to Read:
When Satan Wore A Cross

When Satan Wore A Cross

3.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
In 1980 in Toledo, Ohio—on one of the holiest days of the church calendar—the body of a nun was discovered in the sacristy of a hospital chapel. Seventy-one-year-old Sister Margaret Ann had been strangled and stabbed, her corpse arranged in a shameful and stomach-churning pose. But the police's most likely suspect was inexplicably released and the investigation was quietly ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about When Satan Wore A Cross, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Satan Wore A Cross

Mary
May 15, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes true crime
Recommended to Mary by: Paperback Swap
On Saturday, April 5, 1980 in Toledo, Ohio - on one of the holiest days of the Church calendar - the body of a nun was discovered in the sacristy of the hospital chapel. Seventy-one year old Sister Margaret Ann Pahl had been brutally murdered - strangled and stabbed, her body arranged in a shocking and shameful pose. But the police's most likely suspect was inexplicably released from custody and the investigation was quietly buried. Despite damning evidence, Father Gerald Robinson went free.

Twen
Chris Demer

Essentially, it is the story of a nun who is murdered in the sacristy of a hospital chapel in Toledo Ohio in 1980. Although circumstantial evidence points to the resident chaplain, Gerald Robinson, the investigation is brought to a halt by representatives of the diocese and higher-ups in the police department. The apparent cover-up is consistent with the church protecting its own, even when serious crimes are committed. It is not until years later, when the tide has begun to turn in terms of bel
Sally
Aug 04, 2008 Sally rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one.
This book was a huge waist of time. It is about a priest who murders a nun some 40yrs ago when people still thought priests were beyond reproach. As I like nothing better than a book that reveals the dark side of religion I thought I would enjoy it. But the author's writing style was terrible! He jumped back and forth between topics and people and wrote like he was talking to you. By this I mean he'd state a fact and then write "remember that for later". It was weird. I kept reading hoping it wo ...more
Al
Aug 29, 2011 Al rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There's not much to say about this book, but I'll try anyway.
Firstly more then half the time when reading the book it felt more like an article on wikipedia rather then an actual book. The story is quite disturbing so reading it at time was simply unpleasant, even if that was the point it's still plain wrong.
I can't say that I would recoment this book to anyone, but I don't regret reading the book either.
Beth
Sep 26, 2008 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of a priest who murders a nun because he thought she was pushey and loud. It happens in Toledo in 1980. There are so many Catholics in the police force that it is impossible to bring him to justice. When that generation "passes away" the new guys aren't so devout, and he is sent to prison 25 years later. Interesting.
Angi  Myers
Apr 06, 2008 Angi Myers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
True accounts of a priest gone bad. There is murder, huge coverups by the archdioces, satanic cults, ritualistic abuse, rape, prostitution ... gives you a whole new version of "evil" and the catholic church.
Marianne Jay
I LOVE true crime books, but this one fell very short. There was no ooomph to the book, it was bland, and very poorly written. I'm really sad because I really wanted to like this book.
Humberta
Jan 24, 2009 Humberta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that really makes us think is our church capable of this?
Jennifer Daniel
This was the first book I ever added to my GR TBR shelf, long ago in Dec of 2012. I was intruiged because this crime happened here in Ohio and somehow I missed it on the news. A priest killed a nun in 1980 and was finally brought to trial in 2006 and found guilty. There really wasn't enough material to this story for a full book. A multi page artice would have been sufficient. There was loads of obvious filler such as the chapter on Hollywood preists. The strangest element of this case was a dif ...more
SouthWestZippy
Jan 18, 2016 SouthWestZippy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder, true-crime
Was a little slow in parts and undeveloped in others but overall good book. The story was told in a simple, honest way. When some of the details were told it gave me the creeps. Strange and heartbreaking story.
Heather
Nov 26, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It started off as an intriguing story, but then it peters out. The end of the story makes it seem like no-one's even sure if the priest is actually guilty or not. Sure, they think he is...and he's serving time for the nun's murder based on mostly circumstantial evidence...but beyond that, there's not much. And even though the author links the probability of the priest being a Satanist, there's not much there, either. If and when any concrete physical evidence comes forth, it would be cool if the ...more
Marilyn
this book is really spiritually connected with me I really had a lot of connections with this book and I would read it over and over again.
Amanda
Mar 01, 2012 Amanda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
I have a confession. I didn't actually finish this book. I made it to chapter 7. It was confusing. Dating back to like the 1800s and stuff. It was like notes all thrown together for a book. It wasn't well written at all. The author said "author note, remember this for later." stuff like that. Waste of my money and time. I really wanted to see how it got covered up. I think I shall google it. It will probably be more interesting then reading this book!!
Ashley
Sep 19, 2013 Ashley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I usually love true crime books. This author, unlike my favorite, Anne Rule, seemed to enjoy including the gore and even some ugly slang words that turned me off. It is neat to know the story, but the book itself wasn't all that great.
Michelle
This book took a turn into what feels like the author's opinion. It veers from the reporting of a chilling crime and begins a retelling of conjecture. I was a little disappointed .
Monica
Aug 04, 2012 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very interesting story but in my opinion it wasn't well written. It does make you wonder what our church personnel is capable of..
Katie
Dec 16, 2011 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's an interesting story, but not very well written.
Amy Greenlese
Aug 08, 2015 Amy Greenlese rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One word: Disturbing
Lori
Jul 22, 2008 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very informative look at what priests live with every day of their lives. It told the true story of a killer priest and a nun as his victim. They found the nun in the sanctuary and didn't expect the priest. The priest wasn't convicted until years later.
3rdApache
3rdApache marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Jess Parker
Jess Parker marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Cinthia Castro
Cinthia Castro marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
matthew tomkins
matthew tomkins is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2016
Floy Dean
Floy Dean rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Wanda
Wanda marked it as to-read
Compass
Compass marked it as to-read
Kevan Agee
Kevan Agee rated it liked it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
American true crime author and former columnist for the Arts and Leisure Section of The New York Times.

Rosen's published works in the genre include Lobster Boy, There But For the Grace: Survivors of the 20th Century’s Infamous Serial Killers and When Satan Wore a Cross.

He is also the winner of Library Journal’s Best Reference Source 2005 award for The Historical Atlas of American Crime, and has w
More about Fred Rosen...