Start by marking “The Wedding Wager” as Want to Read:
The Wedding Wager

The Wedding Wager

From New York Times bestselling author Cathy Maxwell comes a romance about a headstrong young lady determined to marry . . .

Mary Gates longs to restore the family stables to their former glory . . . so she bids on the famous Spender Stud. The only way she can pay for the beast is to marry, but her only prospect is her neighbor and chief rival, Tye Barlow. She has been temp
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Wedding Wager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wedding Wager

Yuni
Dec 11, 2014 Yuni rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it's good it has happy ending but how they reach the end....argh.

how can the author just let Jergen goes like that? just because he is someone important so no law can stop him? I hate it. and the duke... Mary saved his heir but the way he treated it is like Mary is nobody. how I wish to see his face if his only heir died in front of him. yes, I'm a cruel person.

I started to read Cathy Maxwell novels but this one make me wonder: should I add her to be my favorite authors or not? yes, it just one
Francine
May 15, 2010 Francine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I could not complete - if I am going to read a romance (and I read them a lot) I want to like the characters and be cheering for them as I go along. Unfortunately I could not bring myself to like either one of the main characters. They both were holding onto a lot of pride and a lot of resentment. I know this happens in real life and we as humans act stupidly because of it, but I do not want to deal with that many grudges in my fantasy world.
Stephanie
Jan 30, 2014 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd give it 3 1/2 to 4 stars. I hated the scene in London when she was a fool and embarrassed herself, but at the same time someone without experience could easiily make that mistake. I would have personally taken the story in a different direction with her "winning" that fight. That could have built upon women everyone in London aspiring to independence, instead it curbs the Duchess and embarrassed her and her husband to have that drama at their house. Still a great book and has their little ha ...more
Patricia Kate
I wasn't really crazy about Mary, the heroine. She wasn't particularly likable, especially at the beginning. I understand that characters can act a certain way as a protective measure from earlier hurt . . . but I think there could be a statute of limitations on some of the stuff. And some of it doesn't make sense.

But once again with Cathy Maxwell, I really like the pacing, many of the characters, the dialogue and descriptions in The Wedding Wager

And I would have liked to see some of the chara
Fedora
Aug 09, 2015 Fedora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While Ms. Maxwell really does pen a very readable story, I can't say that I loved Mary or Tye, the heroine and hero all that much. They are both prideful and prickly, and Mary in particular really was one of those almost overly independent women whose constant refusal to consider another possibility wore thin. Tye for his part is also pushy and arrogant, although he does bend first. The later part of the book is much easier to read, as these two are obviously much better suited than THEY would b ...more
Aug 05, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mary is like a man, in manner and in her dress. Tye's the buck of the parish - seriously how many times do you have to read about how he gets around and has slept with just about every female in town. Yup, I get the horse reference, still I wonder just how many STD's our buck of the parish has picked up. I don't know. Maybe these two were meant for each other.
Petie McCarty
Aug 14, 2014 Petie McCarty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Maxwell never disappoints. Pick up one of her books and you get great characterization, pacing, and plot, and The Wedding Wager was no different. This story was a change of pace in that there was no hero of the nobility in this regency read, but rather a working man, i.e. a horse breeder. A delightful read.
Hildy Peterson
Sep 02, 2014 Hildy Peterson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Grade: C

Fun, light and entertaining.
Grandmaking553
Feb 22, 2013 Grandmaking553 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of Mary and Tye is excellent, did not want to put the book down.
Aurrey
Jun 26, 2014 Aurrey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-already
Hmmmm... so far so good.
Monique Takens
Aug 02, 2015 Monique Takens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My second Cathy Maxwell in a few days time and I liked it as much as the first .
This is a feelgood book with many LOL moments .
Cary
Mar 21, 2009 Cary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
more of the same with a bit of the **** part but for once in a regency romance they are married! Ya gotta wonder!
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2011
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2011
Ldlimes
Ldlimes rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2016
Ann Rhod
Ann Rhod rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2017
Bethany
Bethany rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2013
Mr. Shawn Delaney
Mr. Shawn Delaney rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Monica
Monica rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2015
Jeanette
Jeanette rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2013
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2012
Mw10469
Mw10469 rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2013
Megan
Megan rated it it was ok
Nov 14, 2011
Ty
Ty rated it it was ok
Jan 13, 2013
Cindy Winder delong
Cindy Winder delong rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2012
NorthernLightsGirl
NorthernLightsGirl rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2008
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
E
E rated it it was ok
Jan 13, 2012
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2012
  • Whisper to Me of Love (Louisiana, #7)
  • The Darkest Knight (Welles Trilogy #1)
  • Rakes and Rogues
  • Lily
  • In Praise of Younger Men (Three Heroes #1; Company of Rogues, #6)
  • The Savage
  • Secret Ways
  • The Runaway Duke
  • Rosewood
  • Escape Not My Love
  • Love's Charade
  • The Devil Wears Tartan
  • The Rose of Blacksword
  • Impetuous Innocent (Regencies #3)
  • Wild and Wicked
  • The Beautiful Stranger (Rogues of Regent Street, #3)
  • The Outlaw Hearts
  • Scarlet Angel
CATHY MAXWELL spends hours in front of her computer pondering the question, "Why do people fall in love?" It remains for her the mystery of life and the secret to happiness.

She lives in beautiful Virginia with her children, horses, dogs, and cats.
More about Cathy Maxwell...