Start by marking “Hide and Sheep” as Want to Read:
Hide and Sheep

Hide and Sheep

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  58 reviews

In this rhyming read-aloud, Farmer McFitt must round up his escaped sheep--which are hiding everywhere from the circus to the library.
Published May 3rd 2011 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Hide and Sheep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hide and Sheep

The Mitten by Jan BrettGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownExtra Yarn by Mac BarnettShall I Knit You a Hat? by Kate KliseMr. Nick's Knitting by Margaret Wild
Knitting In Kids Books
21st out of 23 books — 13 voters
1 Is One by Tasha TudorThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleChicka Chicka 1, 2, 3 by Bill Martin Jr.Pride & Prejudice  by Jennifer AdamsCats' Night Out by Caroline Stutson
Best Counting Picture Books
26th out of 27 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I'm a sucker for books, especially picture books, about sheep and this one was hard to resist. It's a counting book, as the farmer has to go and find all his sheep who have run off to do fun things for the day while he was sleeping. For example,

Ten frisky lambs run away to the zoo
to meet an okapi, a kind kangaroo,
a spotted giraffe with his head in the trees.
They hang out and play with the wild chimpanzees.

The illustrations are gorgeous - I don't know if there's a name for the style but they ha
Dornel Cerro
Farmer McFitt must shear his sheep, but where oh where have they gone? Ten are at the zoo, nine have joined the circus, eight are at a ball game and so on. Large two page spreads countdown the search, capture, and shearing with some awkwardly rhyming text. Six sheep visit the museum with a hilarious play on famous painters and paintings. Busy but clever illustrations done in pen and watercolors with a dotted background, similar to old newspaper comics, contribute to the humor and silliness of th ...more
Demisha Mcclain
Hide and Sheep written by Andrea Beaty is absolutely hilarious!! This book immediately draws you in and builds suspense as the sheep run away from the farmer. This book will have you engaged and laughing as you turn the page. The story is written as a poem that tells of the many adventures of the sheep that ran away while farmer Mcfitt was busy sleeping. The sheep’s split and take a trip around town. They play ball, ride motorcycles, go to the beach, library and many other places.
This book is g
The Library Lady
This might've done better if there weren't so many really, really good sheep books out there. As it is, it's okay, but nothing to make other sheep books worry that their places will be ewe-surped :D
What a cute book to read to children. It helps them count, has a great rhyming scheme to it, and keeps them engaged with silliness. the sheep in the story and what they do is hilarious. I found myself chuckling on each page, because not only were the pictures funny, but the text was witty and smart. It was also refreshing to see how the author incorporated counting backwards in the story until there was one sheep left. This type of counting is crucial to teach kids so they are able to work on su ...more
Kelsey Yates
Cute, quirky illustrations (a sheep pole vaulting to escape the farm) and rhyming text drive the fun on this counting down outing from 10 to 1 sheep.
This is a fun book incorporating rhyming and counting. It also gives the children the opportunity to find the sheep, which are sometimes well hidden.
Rebecca Ann
I wasn't a huge fan of the art and the storyline was just a bunch of mischievous sheep, but I'm sure it has its audience!
Madeline Whitmarsh
A adorable counting book featuring some seriously badly behaved sheep. (Occasionally in costumes!)
2* art
2* story/rhyme

Great illustrations
Jenn O'Brien
I'm not sure what it was about the illustrations of this book, but it made my eyes sore, like watching a 3D movie without the glasses.

Supposedly the farmer is chasing these sheep throughout the book, but you never see him until the end when he is running through a schoolyard full of children with open hedge shears. In a world full of growing school violence, I found this disturbing.

And I still have no idea how knitting was supposed to fit in - you shear sheep to make them clothes? Just weird.
Oct 19, 2011 Candice rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
A counting book in rhyme, as Farmer McFitt's sheep escape just as he is getting ready to shear them. Ten run away to the zoo, nine join the circus...and one follows Mary to school. Amusing illustrations of the sheep in various places. It's fun to count the sheep on each page at the same time reading silly rhymes such as:

"Six clever sheep
in the new art museum..
Some pose like a statue
so no one will see 'em.
Hooves click on marble.
They dance and they play
with Salvador Dali, van Gogh,
and Monet."
Kristy Isla
A rhyming and counting book about sheep. It starts with 10 sheep and goes all the way down to 1. It ties up nicely and the activities the sheep do are not familiar ones. However the illustrations are not as colorful and as bright as they could be.
Love the pictures--the sheep are adorable. A good counting book in lap-read or read-alone. Maybe in a small storytime, too, where they can sort through the reast of the full pictures to find the sheep. Fun to see where all the lambs go to. The rhyming was okay. A couple of them didn't quite work, but otherwise the overall rhyming did not add or detract from the story. Still, a good book and worth the smiles.
Farmer McFitt's sheep have jumped the gate and strayed all over town, making their way to the zoo, the circus, a baseball game and an art museum, among other places. The rhyming text makes it a fun book to read aloud. The counting part makes it a better fit for a small group or one on one reading.
So cute! When it comes to picture books about sheep publishers never seem to disappoint! A rhyming, counting tale about a bunch of frisky sheep on the loose. The artwork is simple enough to share with a group, but detailed enough to hold a young one's attention, especially in subsequent readings.
Jul 01, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun counting book that depicts a bunch of sheep running amuck around town. The rhyming narrative and fun illustrations combine to make this a fun story to read aloud. We enjoyed reading this book together and we loved the sheep-themed variations on the famous paintings.
While farmer McFitt sleeps in his bed, 10 little sheep escape from the farm and one by one explore and experience new adventures from playing on a baseball team, to snacking on books at the library. This is a fun backwards counting game with large, full page illustrations.
A humorous tale of a farmer who's lost his sheep. They are all over the place! Some visit the circus, the library and the zoo. Farmer McFitt eventually catches up to everyone and all are sheared. He even catches the last little lamb that followed Mary to school!
Fun rhyming story about frisky sheep who go on fun adventures all around town and get into all kinds of mischief. Fun story to use during a read aloud, and focusing on counting or rhyming words. i think that young children would find this book very entertaining.
This book was hilarious to me. I would rate it on the level of the Doreen Cronin books, which are some of my favorite!

It inspired me to create an entire story time around silly farm animals!

Must read if you appreciate the humorous behavior of errant sheep!
Natalie Heavrin
This book made me laugh out loud! Everything the sheeps do is hilarious, and so are the pictures of them! This rhyming book counts down the sheep until it gets to one. When the farmer finally find them, he tells the reader to stop counting his sheep!
Danica Midlil
Not a fan of the strangely outlined illustrations. The technique made the pictures look like they were badly aligned when printed (like old fashioned comic books) and it made my eyes hurt to look at them. Too bad since I love sheepy antics!
Farmer McFitt's sheep have escaped...and a coundown is on as they are located in various places from the beach to the art museum. Anyone who loves sheep will flip over this book and it offers promise as a storytime title, sheep-themed or not!
I had really high hopes for this book (look at the cover!) but it failed to deliver for me. The language was long and wordy. The reader also seems to be directly addressing the main character, and I find that really odd.
Feb 28, 2012 Megan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschool-1st grade
Farmer McFitt needs to shear his sheep, but the sheep have other plans. They visit the zoo, the circus, the movies, and the beach before Farmer McFitt can find them and shear them. Fun rhymes; not my favorite illustrations.
Feb 25, 2013 Marcie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marcie by: Northstar new books
I can see using this in Kindergarten studies of our community. I love that the sheep visit the zoo, circus, Ball game, movies, museum, beach, library, see a firetruck, and take a bicycle ride.
This counting book has Farmer McFitt's sheep sneaking out to enjoy the town. Counting down from ten and using rhyme, Beaty's sheep try some interesting activities and look rather good in blonde wigs.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Ten on the Sled
  • Ten Orange Pumpkins: A Counting Book
  • The Biggest Kiss
  • The Terrible Plop
  • Farmyard Beat
  • One-Dog Canoe
  • Dog in Boots
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Row, Row, Row Your Boat
  • Sheep Go to Sleep
  • Take Away the A
  • Grumpy Goat
  • EIEIO: How Old MacDonald Got His Farm with a Little Help From a Hen
I was raised in a big family in a tiny town in southern Illinois. Our small house was jammed with 6 kids, 2 adults, a variable number of cats, 1 dog and thousands of books. It was great. Since I grew up in the 60's and 70's, I didn't have the internet or cable TV to keep me amused, but I had something much better--my siblings. We spent our days watching bad TV (B-movies, Gilligan's Island, the Bra ...more
More about Andrea Beaty...