Start by marking “Go to Sleep, Gecko!: A Balinese Folktale” as Want to Read:
Go to Sleep, Gecko!: A Balinese Folktale

Go to Sleep, Gecko!: A Balinese Folktale

Gecko may be small, but he has a giant-sized problem. Every night he is awakened by the fireflies outside his window. And when Gecko doesn't get his rest, he gets a little grumpy. So he goes to Elephant, the head of the village, to complain. His request that the fireflies stop working at night sets off a comical chain of problems for everyone in the village and complicates ...more
Published June 8th 2006 by August House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Go to Sleep, Gecko!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go to Sleep, Gecko!

Elisabeth
Oct 02, 2012 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing
Very funny and extra awesome because I wouldn't necessarily think this would be a good story time book until someone read it aloud. I can't wait to do it!
Justine
Title: Go To Sleep, Gecko!: A Balinese Folktale
Author:Margaret Read MacDonald
Illustrator: Geraldo Valerio
Genre: Non-European Folktale
Theme(s): Friends, Compromise, Folklore
Opening line/sentence: “One night, Elephant was awakened.”

Brief Book Summary:
Gecko is having a hard time sleeping because of various distractions. He pleas to the Elephant, the village boss, but rather than getting what he wants, he learns a lesson.

Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
Midwest Book Review (Children's Bookwa
David
Mar 02, 2012 David rated it liked it
Go to Sleep, Gecko!: A Balinese Folktale by Margaret Read MacDonald, illustrated by Geraldo Valerio tells the story of a complaining Gecko and an inter-connected natural community.

The story will amuse many. The theme of interconnectedness in nature is an important one for children to learn. This could be combined with the story Too Much Noise for a complaint or learning to live with problems theme. The author explains that the illustrator made an artistic decision to have an elephant as the head
Courtney
Feb 17, 2014 Courtney rated it liked it
Shelves: edutl-2368
MacDonald, Reed. (2006). Go to Sleep, Gecko!: A Balinese Folktale. NE: August House Publishing

Illustrated by Geraldo Valerio

Go to Sleep Gecko! by Margaret Reed MacDonald is a Balinese folktale about a Gecko who cannot fall asleep because some of the animals and weather (Rain) are keeping him awake. Gecko visits the chief (an elephant) throughout the book asking him to quiet the jungle down so that he can sleep. The chief finds that everyone who is keeping Gecko awake is doing something that help
Heather Wright
Apr 29, 2015 Heather Wright rated it really liked it
"Go to Sleep, Gecko!" is a Balinese folktale for children. This book won the Flicker Tale Children's Book Award (2008). The book is about a gecko that cant sleep. He tries different thing to learn how to the sleep but in the end he realizes there are just some things you have to deal with. I really loved how captured this book is. The author emphasis there are something's you just cant help. The language and the pot of this book was god as well. I loved how for the bodies of lighting bugs he ...more
Nicole
Apr 14, 2015 Nicole rated it it was amazing
My personal reaction was I loved the story and i could relate to the Gecko because i awake easily as well. The purpose of this book in a classroom would be for literary elements that could be taught using this book. For example the Gecko goes to the elephant chief to help solve the problem. The animals talking shows personification. Also, the elephant explains how everything that is keeping him up is helping the jungle overall. The Gecko learns that the animals that are keeping him up actually ...more
Shauna Masura
Gecko can't sleep because of the fireflies, and somebody needs to do something about it. Elephant is charged with the task of tracking down the fireflies to hear their side of the story. In Go To Sleep, Gecko! readers travel with Elephant as he uncovers the reasons why fireflies have to shine their lights at night and why buffaloes have to poop in holes and why rain has to fall from the sky and why there are some things that you just have to live with in this Balinese folktale about the intercon ...more
Juliette
Nov 24, 2011 Juliette rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
While this is a Balinese Folktale, I cannot put it on the multicultural children's literature shelf. There is absolutley no information about Bali in any part, text, or illustrations.

It is however a really cute tale about a Gecko who wants to sleep but can't because the fireflies keep flashing their lights on and off, on and off. So Gecko goes to Elephant who is the village boss and should "do something about it". Elephant finds the fireflies light the way so no one will step in buffalo's poop,
Madelyn Adams
Apr 13, 2015 Madelyn Adams rated it really liked it
Personal Reaction:
I personally thought this was an adorable book. While I was reading it, I put different voices to the different characters. I thought the wording was simple, but it had a wonderful message at the end, “some things you just have to put up with.” I also thought the pictures were attractive and bright.

Purpose:
This folktale would make a great read aloud to students. I think first or second graders would find this book amusing, because it says “poop” a couple of time. This story cou
S.E. Ferranti
Feb 01, 2016 S.E. Ferranti rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I read this book to my 6 year old daughter and she absolutely loved it. Go to Sleep Gecko! is funny, cute, and very clever. I thought it was awesome because it had a creative point of view in it that teaches kids a great life lesson. Even though life is inconvenient and uncomfortable at times, life is full of twists and turns that connects us all in one way or another. Sometimes it is better to just make the best out of what we have and be grateful for the situations life brings you. I would ...more
April Biederman
Mar 14, 2015 April Biederman rated it did not like it
My 4 year old picked up this book so we checked it out. It stared ok but then talked about Buffalo pooping in the road to fill in the holes so no one would trip. My daughter thought the pictures of a monkey stepping in poop funny. Then it talked about mosquitos living in the poo. I know where they were going but it could have been done in a different way.
Dolly
Jun 12, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009, indonesia
This is a cute story, that tells about one way that life can have a circular connectedness, and how changing or impacting one area can impact greatly in other areas. Our girls insisted that the gecko didn't really look or sound like the geckos we have here in Hawaii, but the illustrations were fun anyway.
Sep 15, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This is one of those stories that just tickles you, from the richly color palette to the depictions of certain aspects of nature (e.g. Rain as a gigantic cloud with tiny arms to hold watering cans). Completely adorable.
Paula
Retells the folktale of the gecko who complains to the village chief that the fireflies keep him awake at night but then learns that in nature all things are connected.
A wonderful colorful illustrations and some funny subject matter which would go well with the older kids
Yixuan Wang
Jan 18, 2012 Yixuan Wang rated it it was amazing
This is cute store, and I love the drawing and colors, the animals are all cute in this store. This store tell us a truth, and it is that the world is all connected and "some things you just have to put up with".
Cheryl
Jul 27, 2016 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Macdonald does it again. So much fun to read aloud, even if only to myself. And, sure, there's a moral, but it does nothing to detract from the enjoyment. I like Valerio's illustrations - cartoony, but apt.
Ana Calabresi
Mar 02, 2016 Ana Calabresi rated it really liked it
This reminds me of the kinds of stories my grandma used to tell me when I was little. A cumulative tale about how our world is all connected, and sometimes we just have to put up with inconveniences of life.
Doria
Mar 22, 2016 Doria rated it really liked it
Another terrific rebelling of a traditional folktales by MRM! Her reputation as a gifted Master Storyteller and Reteller is well deserved. The illustrations are a little cartoonish for my taste, but the simple color palette and cute animal expressions are rather winsome.
Tricia
Mar 28, 2010 Tricia rated it really liked it
Interesting folktale to share how all things are connected...gecko complains about the blinking of fireflies at night until he realizes that they are related to his food supply.
Jamie
Jan 02, 2013 Jamie rated it really liked it
Just a kids' picture book, but fun, cute, and with a good message: "Some things you just have to live with;" it applies to so many aspects of life.
Marge
Jul 03, 2009 Marge rated it it was amazing
Great read-aloud book about a complaining gecko, a leader who listens closely, and a community that is inter-connected. Lovely illustrations.
Liz Stoneking
Aug 07, 2014 Liz Stoneking rated it really liked it
My three year old picked this out at our library and I was surprised to find how entertaining it was for them.
Deb
Jul 24, 2014 Deb rated it really liked it
Am considering reading to elementary age, am concerned about saying "poop" so many times in front of 90 kids though. So far they haven't shown much sense of humor. Maybe it'll shock them enough.
Erin
Nov 19, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A fun Balinese folktale about how everything in the world is interconnected - something gecko needs to learn to make sleeping easier! Lovely illustrations in tones of green and blue!
Shantel
Mar 24, 2013 Shantel rated it really liked it
The only questionable thing was the part of the buffalo filling in the holes. I was suprised for sure.
Christi
Aug 08, 2008 Christi rated it it was amazing
We picked this up at the library several times. My two-year old and four-year-old love it. It has a good lesson in the end. "Some things you just have to put up with."
Lindsay
A nice enough folk tale with an awesome message of acceptance and patience, because after all, some things you just have to put up with.
Nov 20, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This is a little long for my age group at storytime, but it says "poop." So it'll go over really well. Can also be used for older audiences, up to early elementary school.
Carrie
Aug 11, 2008 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
"Some things you just have to put up with." I like this book and how it discusses that everything is connected. And it has a little humor. :) Christi - this is a great one. Thanks!
Tanya L
Tanya L rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2015