Stormrider (The Rigante, #4)

Stormrider (The Rigante #4)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  2,835 ratings  ·  29 reviews
The explosive conclusion to Gemmell's "London Times" bestselling fantasy epic. Civil war erupts in the highlands of the Rigante. For a few it is a pathway to something far more deadly, a power that could reshape the world--or destroy it.
Published March 4th 2003 by Del Rey Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Stormrider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stormrider

Steve
I finished this book (for about the seventh time) about a week ago, but this is the first chance I've had time to write a review.

Although, not Gemmell's best work (Sword In The Storm, Midnight Falcon, Legend, Winter Warriors, Waylander II & III, Dark Moon), it is up there with them.

As I've already said, I've read this book (and many others) several times over the years, and there are only so many books that are gripping enough to do that with. Gemmell was always the master at character dri...more
Debby Allen
Draig Cochland is who the hero of this book.

p 325: "All was silent at the center of the Wishing Tree woods. The ancient standing stones, only three of them upright now, cast long moon shadows across the hilltop. Other pillars lay cracked and broken on the ground, the meaning of the runic symbols carved into the golden stone long forgotten. A black beetle scurried across the surface of one fallen stone, its tiny legs powering it over a written wisdom it would never know."

p 459: "The grass beneath...more
Andrew Lawston
This was my first experience of David Gemmell, and I was very impressed. Stormrider is a cracking fantasy novel which is notable for not being a Tolkien knock-off. It starts with a bang, as an apparently demonic bear pursues a warrior and a small child across a frozen wilderness in a lengthy action sequence. After this, the supernatural calms down for quite a while, and the book's tone shifts to a military novel, chronicling a civil war.

The characterisation is spot on. Characters shift their all...more
Mayank Agarwal
Big Disappointment. Normally if it were any other author would have given 2 star but it being Gemmell i expect so much more from him. Worst book i have read of him (Read about 20 of them)

It's not at all consistent with the previous book in the series(Ravenheart). Personality of most of the characters change in a big way. Also the ending is contradictory.
(view spoiler)

Christian
It saddens me to finish reading this book as I know that no more Gemmell books will ever be written. What can I add to what I have already written elsewhere about Gemmell's other works? Incredibly warm and human characters that shine when they are in stage. Complex and human drama without saccharine deus ex machina. Epic and brutal warfare. An easy going pace to the plot. The ending might be a little contrived but that is easily pardoned as it was appropriately and dramatically jarring.
Rebecca Young
I would have given this four stars, but the ending kind of dragged on for me. Too much war and carnage, blood and gore for me! This one focused more on a very evil group of men led by an evil Spirit and it was sometimes too dark for my taste. I loved the characters and their flawed natures...something that seems to be a trademark of David Gemmell in this series, at least.
So, I have to say this would be my least favorite of all four that I have read. But the ending of this was very poignant. It...more
Paul
I was loaned the Ravenheart series by a good friend and read it during a summer camping trip to a state forest; one of those trips that the extended family goes on and spends a week at a 4 campsites with tents and picnic tables. I was surprised that I'd never heard of Gemmell at the time, but really loved his storytelling! For the past 4 years, I bring the four Rigante books (Ravenheart, Midnight Falcon, Stormrider and Sword in the Storm) with me for this annual trip and have a great time reread...more
Lon
Like the three Rigante novels that preceded it, this novel is wondrous. Gemmell's cast of richly fleshed out characters is extensive, and he roves from one to another as frequently as a soap opera, but, like a master juggler, he keeps all the balls in the air.

Gemmell's death prevents answering the question of whether he would have treated us with another Rigante story, but this novel feels like a satisfying ending. Maybe because, unlike the other three, it comes close on the heels of the novel b...more
Ed C
The finalé of the series leads to the unexpected. Same great pace as ever, but the focus shifts slightly from one main character of Ravenheart (the preceeding novel) to another as it moves to a great revelation and conclusion. Perhaps the least independant of the series, I think it should at least be read with Ravenheart to add to build up and background, even if chose not to read Sword in the Storm and Midnight Falcon at the beginning. I thought I might be sad to end the series I had been so en...more
Jane
I love David Gemmell novels and like most this one made me cry. It is full of heroes flawed and unsuspected.

It is the final installment of the Rigante books telling the story of Stormrider and Ravenheart. It also is unusal for a fantasy novel, there is magic and swords, but there are also muskets and pistols.

David Gemmell's novels can be a little formualic but that is not necessarily a bad thing. He writes heroic fantasy and does it well drawing you into the story and making you care about the...more
Eric
Feb 25, 2008 Eric rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
Shelves: fantasy
Although I enjoyed this book, I had higher expectations after reading its predecessor, Ravenheart. This sequel felt a little muddled and disjointed, as it focused much less on select central characters in order to increase the scope of the tale. It was still fantasy of the highest quality, I just have very high expectations for David Gemmell. But even the poorest effort by Gemmell is still be better than 90% of the rest of what is available.
Randy Daugherty
StormRider was a good book, and brought to end the saga of the Rigante.The Rigante joining with the mortal enemies to confront a great evil made for a good story line.I would say that though an excellent read and Gemmell a good author , StormRider was not as good as RavenHeart and previous Rigante novels.I would still reccomend this to anyone into this genre.
Marilyn R
Actions from some of the characters were a bit gruesome to me, but all in all, I very much enjoyed reading this book!
Ruth
c2002. Made a cardinal error here. Picked this book up at a library sale and did not realise that it was the last book of a series. Nothing on the cover indicatd this as such but it became very apparent in the first few chapters that there was a much more of a background story than was being revealed. mea maxima culpa.
Josh Meares
A little hurried in the ending, a lot of things left unsaid, but that is kind of what we have come to expect from this series. It is not about the ending so much as about the characters themselves. Good book, filled with thoughts on war and peace and how violence and goodness are related.
Strayybullett
The last book in the Rigante series and there is no let up every single book is a triumph,I only discovered David Gemmell recently and that is to my detrement his books are really just a complete revelation, fantast at its best, with some of the best characters created in literature.
Manjari
Josh
Love the conclusion to the Rigante series, lots of brilliant smaller stories of heroism and honour combine and work within each other amazingly. Gemmell's greatness is in his characters and how he develops them. The history is almost believable.
David
The final book in the Rignate series and, while it maynot be as good as the others, it still nicely round off the series. The blurb on the back of the book is a bit misleading, though ...
Thabet
Having finished the Rigante Series I have two regrets. 1) not having read it before. 2) finishing all 4 books.

Never liked fiction/fantasy books, but this just captivated me from the first book.
Tyler
I read this book like five or six years ago and don't remember much about it other than liking it. I'll have to get around to re reading it one of these days and do a proper review.
Jake
Interesting conclusion to the saga. At first I didn't like that the same characters weren't in each book, but then I would get attached to the new characters. Very well done.
Lord
As a sequel to an outstanding Ravenheart, this was a rather disappointment. Still an enjoyable read but easily the weakest part of the Rigante series.
Matt
Oct 02, 2013 Matt rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own-it
An excellent finish to an excellent series. Gemmell could certainly weave a tale. I'm looking forward to trying out his other series in the future.
Férial
That was a great read (talking about the entire Rigante series).

I highly recommend
Dor Druker
Alternative history with a taste of fantasy in it, a great read.
Mick Wingert
Fantastic end to the series. Couldn't put it down.
Shelley Connor
This whole series is great
Rowan Brady
Best sci-fi I have read
  • Shards of a Broken Crown (The Serpentwar Saga, #4)
  • Nightchild (Chronicles of the Raven, #3)
  • The Grand Design (Tyrants and Kings, #2)
  • Dai-San (The Sunset Warrior Cycle, #3)
  • Watcher of the Dead (Sword of Shadows, #4)
  • Fall of Thanes (The Godless World, #3)
  • A Time of Exile (The Westlands, #1)
  • The Blood Knight (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #3)
David Andrew Gemmell was a bestselling British author of heroic fantasy. A former journalist and newspaper editor, Gemmell had his first work of fiction published in 1984. He went on to write over thirty novels. Best known for his debut, Legend, Gemmell's works display violence, yet also explores themes in honour, loyalty and redemption. With over one million copies sold, his work continues to sel...more
More about David Gemmell...
Legend (Drenai Saga, #1) Waylander (Drenai Saga, #3) Lord of the Silver Bow (Troy, #1) The King Beyond the Gate (Drenai Saga, #2) The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (Drenai Saga, #6)