Start by marking “Hero in the Shadows (Drenai Tales, #9)” as Want to Read:
Hero in the Shadows (Drenai Tales, #9)

Hero in the Shadows (The Drenai Saga #9)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  3,305 ratings  ·  44 reviews
The ruined city of Kuan Hador reeks of dark mystery. Shunned by brigands and merchants alike, it is home to fearsome wild things and legends that freeze the blood--tales that speak of slavering white beasts, locked behind a powerful wall of spells, who possess an insatiable appetite for death. Millennia have passed since they were bound, and the spell of imprisonment has b ...more
Published October 3rd 2000 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Hero in the Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hero in the Shadows

D.E.M. Emrys
The gate was locked under spell and sacrifice. Those gone were never to return.

The demons of Kuan Hador were banished from the world thousands of years ago. The mystic warriors the defeated the evil are lost to history and the grave. When Man is gone from life, Man does not return.

Now, mists of ice, and beasts of mist lurk in Kuan Hador. The ancient spells are fading.

Gone are the days of the demons, and gone are the Men that stood against them. Few stand against the gate. Kysumu the swordsma
Dirk Grobbelaar
I have a confession to make. I read this book without first reading the first two Waylander novels. This is important, since I believe it might have affected my reading experience at least a little bit. See, by this book, Waylander is already an established character and the glimpses that are revealed concerning his past are fascinating. Fascinating and frustrating. There were times where I was more taken up with what had happened in The Gray Man's past than with the material at hand. I'll be su ...more
Chip
"It's not his fault that he's an unstoppable killing machine." describes it to the core. My favorite of the Waylander books. Each and every enemy is eliminated in a consistent and satisfying manner, as all of the heros/heroines, likely and not, have their turn to shine. These three Waylander books have turned me on to heroic fantasy.
Joshua Simon

Another strong Waylander book and one of the better of the Drenai Saga in that the ending was very satisfying.

Not much else to say at this point in the Drenai series as if you've made it to Book 9, you know what you're getting with Gemmell's writing. Good stuff as usual.
Ryan Curry
I'm speechless. This book was the perfect way to finsih Waylanders story. Reminds me why I love David Gemmell so much
Vanessa
The hero of Hero in the Shadows is the Grey Man—a man with a shady past, who now lives like a nobleman. He's a gruff, but kind man who's loyal to the people under his protection. He plans to get away from the petty life of living among the rich and the noble, but when he discovers that a gateway used to keep back the demons is failing, he has a change of plans.

Along with an interesting assortment of characters, including a quasi-priestess, a samurai, a samurai wannabe, a magician, and a young wo
Amanda Trudgill
YOUR OFFERS
Please check the details below and then print your voucher(s). Take these with you when you visit each attraction and present them at the entry point with your train tickets.

Please note: All members of your party claiming the offers must present valid National Rail tickets, as proof of travel.

Only two persons allowed per voucher, unless offer states otherwise.

Please print out as many of the vouchers that you require for your party size.
Print Voucher
------------------------------ cu
Goldhawk
The Waylander trilogy has been an an amazing experience from the start to finish. The author does a great job building up the world and creating vibrant / unique characters. The internal struggle that the main protagonist goes through is realistic and intense; changes he goes through are subtle and done over the course of the three books.

The side-characters and protagonists are also all very interesting and have their own niche they fill in the book. The author also has a great sense of humor a
Chris Mclelland
Excellent book. Loved it. Can't wait to read more of his. I like that they are part of group of books but are self-contained, so I don't have to wait until the next one comes out! Have been so disappointed by other series in the past.
Mayank Agarwal
For one to truly enjoy the book read the other two Waylender books(This book being a trilogy based on same guy but not events)

Best book among the Waylander Trilogy and the most complete one in Drenai Saga till now

Felt it being a bit different from other Gemmell book as the narration is more mature and better explained(It being 16 year since his first Drenai book). It was like a summery of all the Drenai novels as it had the mixture of all the central theme from his previous books - assassin , wa
Rodney
If Glen Cook (The Black Company) is the best writer of low fantasy, then David Gemmell is his opposite number of high fantasy books. Gemmell captures the heroic spirit of his characters, with ease. They seem simple, but are actually larger than l ife. Hero in Shadows is the tale of an aging Drenai hero, who has retired and wishes nothing more than to be left in peace. But when an evil foe comes forth to shatter the Grayman's quiet, he rises to the challege.

Gemmell gives the reader heroic deeds,
Troy G
A great end to a great man. The key to Gemmell's most iconic character is that he is unable to forgive himself. None of his great successes can ever make him feel better about his failures. His losses lead him to be empty inside. I always felt sure that Waylander was doomed to an eternity of dwelling on his mistakes. As Gemmell tells his final chapter I was stunned that such a fitting end was possible for such a conflicted man.

You should read this book. But in order to appreciate it, you will h
Ann
I would like to say that the ending of this novel alone, receives from me personally 1 million stars!! There isn't any word in the English language as to how amazing this ending actually is!! I recommend anyone plus a lot of of adventure character development, and amazing fantasy novel creation to read this book specifically for the ending absolutely loved it
Alexandre
"Si ce dernier tome se lit avec plaisir, comme tout Gemmell qui se respecte; l'intrigue est cependant plus faible que les autres. Une petite déception, en voyant que l'auteur nous fait le coup des mondes parallèles qui s'ouvrent entre eux, thème o combien classique. Petite déception aussi en lisant la fin, plutôt prévisible. C'est dommage car c'est toujours un excellent Gemmell et Waylander cet homme sombre, mystérieux mais ô combien attachant est toujours un personnage extraordinaire! Le meille ...more
Hudson Murrell
Great stuff. Great characters, great story, very good ending...
VS Drakkan
reminds me of an old Clint Eastwood movie like Unforgiven, except in a fantasy world.

Think of a badass all through his life now living as an old man with the weight of the world on his shoulders and is looking for death that will give atonement for his crimes.

The battles are fierce, the dialogue is epic and memorable, and not in a long time has a writer been able to keep my interest from a character standpoint. Thank you Mr. Late David Gemmell for your wonderful works.

Dean Cummings
This is the ninth David Gemmell book that I've read and it is by far the worst of the lot. The novel begins with a lot of potential but it failed to escalate into a memorable fantasy epic. In short, the villains were lame, the relationships between characters were weak and the climax was poorly executed. If you enjoy Gemmell's books, do yourself a favour and read his four Rigante novels, all of which are stellar reads.
Jesper Timmerman
First book I read in the Drenai Saga, which it's not tagged as, but it is set in the same world, and references several of the characters that also appear in other books in the series. Also the first book by Gemmell I read. While I hadn't read any of the previous parts in the Saga, I didn't have any trouble understanding it or the story, as much is also explained throughout the book.
Gerlinde
So I haven't read the first two books of this series... I didn't know okay, I picked it up on this book market and just started reading it. I did really love this book though, so I'm going to get my hands on the other two as well, I need to read the whole story.
Anyway, the book has strong characters and was very captivating, I couldn't put it down. I'm glad I found it.
Dale Renton
I read the first Waylander stories several years ago so was pleased to discover this one when browsing Amazon for a new Kindle title to read. A typical Gemmell work in that the heroes have their flaws and the villains have their strengths. There is no hard and fast distinction between good and evil in this tale, and that - for me - enriches the reading experience.
João Batista
Excellent story as fas as the Gray Man is concerned... I wonder how his name would be in Portuguese.... Anyways, the story of the joinings/melds is interesting; their suffering through the transformation is described.
I have also finally found the translation/definition for the name 'Waylander': stanger; foreigner.
Ross
I feel that the story of Waylander should have ended with In the Realm of the Wolf. This is not a bad story or book, but the author tried to expand the Drenai world to have demons that lived on the world thousands of years ago, and it didn't really work for me.
Tanvir Muntasim
Another excellent addition to the heroic fantasy sub genre and a fitting conclusion to the Waylander saga. No one writes heroic fantasy like Gemmell, and his examination of the true nature of heroism and courage in enthralilng and inspiring.
Mike
Heroic fantasy at its best, characters that make you wish you were a better man. A story that makes you want to stay up all night reading. A conviction from the author that makes you want the world to be a better place.
Hannah Harding
Everything that makes a David Gemmell story wonderful is to be found in the pages of Hero in the Shadows. Waylander rides once more, and gets the ending he always deserved.

Pure enjoyment, and a couple of tears at the end!
Elerwen
Ecco l'ultimo libro della triologia di Waylander, diverso dai precedenti ma non per questo meno avvincente.
Decisamente particolare il finale.
Waylander, un gran bel personaggio. Triologia consigliata.
Mike (the Paladin)
This complets Waylander's story and is a great read. For me a lot of insight into human actions and reactions can be drawn form Gemmell's works. Highly recommended.
Jenniffer
A good book. I was captured from the beginning and couldn't put it down. I had read another book by the same author, but this was just much better.
Debby Allen
Nailed it! Various threads, disparate materials all woven together to make a tapestry of beauty to satisfy Matze Chai. Perfection.
Michael Whitman
not the best outing but totally worth 4 stars for the ending alone.
  • La reine solitaire (L'assassin royal, #6)
  • Soldiers Live (The Chronicle of the Black Company, #9)
  • Flight of the Nighthawks (The Darkwar Saga, #1)
  • Reave the Just and Other Tales
  • Nightchild (Chronicles of the Raven, #3)
  • The Barbed Coil
  • Wit'ch War (The Banned and the Banished, #3)
  • Luck of the Wheels (Windsingers, #4)
  • A Time of Omens (The Westlands, #2)
David Andrew Gemmell was a bestselling British author of heroic fantasy. A former journalist and newspaper editor, Gemmell had his first work of fiction published in 1984. He went on to write over thirty novels. Best known for his debut, Legend, Gemmell's works display violence, yet also explores themes in honour, loyalty and redemption. With over one million copies sold, his work continues to sel ...more
More about David Gemmell...
Legend (Drenai Saga, #1) Waylander (Drenai Saga, #3) Lord of the Silver Bow (Troy, #1) The King Beyond the Gate (Drenai Saga, #2) The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (Drenai Saga, #6)

“My point is there will always be vile men, just as there will always be men of kindness and compassion... ...This world is a troubled, savage, place. It would, however, even be more ghastly if only evil men took time to master weapons." - Waylander from the book Hero in the Shadows by David Gemmell” 3 likes