Start by marking “Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List” as Want to Read:
Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List

Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  8,812 ratings  ·  769 reviews
Naomi och Ely är bästa vänner. Naomi älskar (och är förälskad i) Ely, och Ely älskar Naomi (men föredrar killar).
För att ingen ska komma i vägen för deras vänskap skapar de en kyssförbudslista över personer som ingen av dem får kyssa. Och det fungerar bra - till Bruce, Naomis pojkvän, som är så tråkig att det inte finns anledning att sätta honom på listan, väl?
Published June 1st 2008 by Allen & Unwin (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List

John Egbert
Apr 05, 2011 John Egbert rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody really.
Jesus Christ, I hate this book. I want to curse and scream and use caps throughout this review, but I won't. David Leviathan is the worst freaking writer ever. Rachel Cohn isn't much better -- in fact she might be WORSE. This is what happens when two idiots decide to write a book without discussing anything previously, and then mix their idiot juice into the pages by throwing a bunch of annoying random characters into an already convoluted plot.

Ely is a huge jerk, and Naomi is a moron. As for Na
Cory
This book is not only worse than Twilight but it might be the worst book I've ever read. None of the characters get any of my sympathy. There is no plot. The POV jumps back and forth to characters that add nothing to the story. The use of profanities is unneeded and makes it seem like a 13 year old on drugs wrote it as a fan fiction assignment.

Usually I can find positive things to say about books but there is nothing positive I can say about this one.

I've read Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
Whitney Atkinson
My deal with David Levithan books is even if i'm not really liking it, I still can't help but love them. They're so real. They're so witty. Definitely not my favorite, but lovable characters nevertheless. Wouldn't recommend this though, sorta pointless plot and levithan/cohn have definitely done better.
laaaaames
A) I like multiple POVs but GEEZ there are a lot. Don't I make impassioned speeches about the overratedness of Jodi Picoult for such things?

but

B) Wow I like the exploration of sexuality (and how fluid it is) so so so much.

C) A book about 19/20 year olds is very interesting in the way that there are very rarely books about this age in this genre. I think most books I've read about 19 year olds are literary fiction.

D) OH NO YOU DID NOT MAKE ME JUST ALMOST CHOKE UP WITH A SENTENCE ABOUT KIRSTY MacC
Emily
Oct 14, 2011 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not a conservative person, but a open-hearted one
I see all the low ratings, and, admittedly, they have a point.
Naomi is far from perfect. Ely is far from perfect. Neither of them are instantly lovable.
But isn't that what makes them human?!

The fact that my paperback copy of this little book has not fallen apart yet is amazing, seeing as I've read it far more times than I can count. It is a quick read, but a fantastic one. Compared to Nick and Norah's, this is far more serious (someone mentioned that it is about the tearing of a relationship as
Anna Pravdica
I shall defend and love this book until the day I die.

I usually hate so many POV's going from chapter to chapter, but it's such a perfectly used device here! In a city where all these very interesting characters are interconnected in some way (I'll admit, being from NYC makes me love it all the more) and how they're interconnected is so perfectly told through the tool of switching POV's among them.

They are all flawed, just like actual people. They all speak in a tone that suits who they are, whe
Jeanne
I like Rachel Cohn (Gingerbread, Shrimp, and Cupcake). I like the title and description of this young adult novel. But I do not like this book.

Why? I should like it. It's told from different points of view. It's full of young adult angst and conflict. But none of the characters are likable.

Naomi is gorgeous and attached at the hip to Ely, her neighbor and best friend, who also happens to be gay. They've been best friends for as long as they can remember, and Naomi still envisions them getting ma
Kim

These books are like crack. Not that I’ve tried crack, but I’ve been in enough toy stores and seen enough Breaking Bad dolls that I know I would like it. It’s Rachel and David again. My two (unbeknownst to them) BFFs. Finishing this book made me sad. Like when you leave your best friend sad. I hate that.

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
Dash & Lily's Book of Dares

I don’t recommend reading all three of these books at once. It’s best to spread them out. Like Hal Hartley films or candy corn b
Angela (:
Gosh, where to start? This book wasn't terrible, surprisingly enough. Not to be mean or anything, but David Levithan and Rachel Cohn do NOT write great books together. Not even great books alone, for that matter. Dash & Lily's Book of Dares was a no, and Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist a definite no. I was full-out prepared to hate this. I mean, seriously. Even the synopsis sounds silly.

Naomi does not give a great first impression. The first line: "I lie all the time." Lovely, isn't it?
YA Reads Book Reviews
If I had a cheerleading uniform and a pair of pom poms, I’d break them out right now so I could show David Levithan and Rachel Cohn just how much I love their work. I’d cheer, I’d jump, hell I might even attempt some of those crazy backward flip things. I’d definitely concoct a cheesy rhyme that I could shout at the top of my lungs that outlines my enthusiasm and appreciation. Yes, I’d go to THAT much effort.

Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist (their first collaborative novel) was so supremely pe
Romane Dela Gracia
It's amazing how Rachel Cohn and David Levithan could write stories that relates to the teenage or young-adult generation.

I just realized that their three novels (Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, Dash & Lily's Book of Dares, and this one, Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List) are connected in a way. That bathroom with the writings! It's so brilliant.

As for the plot, I'm totally cool with the interchanging perspective of the characters, but the he-robin and she-robin part confused the hell out o
♡Ann  Matalines♡

In order to survive the book, you need to endure the sucky character of Naomi at the beginning. I usually like best friend love stories but this is kind of sticky and the love interest are really complicated. Well it was a light read but I can't imagine the next time I will reread it.
Nicole Craswell
Definitely a very quick read. I started off being just kind of eh about this book. Naomi annoyed me and I didn't really love any of the characters. But as I kept reading I kind of grew to really like it. Neither Ely or Naomi are perfect people, they both have their strengths of course, but they're also both extremely flawed. This book did a fantastic job of showing that and showing how they learned from their flaws and simultaneously accepted them as a part of themselves, and learned from them. ...more
Shay (The Story Goes...)
I have mixed feelings on this book...

So, Naomi and Ely have been best friends forever, Naomi loves Ely, Ely loves boys. They have a very unique relationship and I was never quite sure whether Ely had always known Naomi loved him or not. So, the No Kiss List is a list they have of boys neither of them is allowed to kiss in case it might ruin their friendship and cause them to break up. Bruce #2, Naomi's boyfriend, was not on the list and Ely kissed him, leading to the big blow up that this book i
Airiz C
The situation: You are a girl who is in love with this boy ever since you can remember. You two are inseparable, because you have already formed a strong bond when you were still but wee things that live next to each other in an equally wee apartment. The problem is, even if he does love you, it’s only a sisterly/ friendly affection…and it’s because he prefers to be in love with boys. Yes, girl: he’s gay.

In order to protect your friendship, you created a “No Kiss List”, which is, as the name say
David
Becareful what you wish for.

Having just finished the sublime fun of Gillian Flynn’s Gone Girl, I decided I wanted a next read that was completely different. A genre apart. Other side of the spectrum, kind of read.

Becareful what you wish for.

David Levithan and Rachel Cohn are probably best known for Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist. If you note the similarities in titles, it’s no great shock; most of their books have dual protagonists for the writing duo to work with. As with their other books
Kathryn
Oct 18, 2007 Kathryn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: older teens and adult YA lit fans
Cohn and Levithan team up once more and hit the streets of New York with a new cast of tangible, expressive teens. Not as good as Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist (but let's be honest, how can you get much better than Nick and Norah?), but still an amazing story in its own right, Naomi and Ely found an honored spot on my YA bookshelf.

Naomi and Ely thought they were totally safe with their No Kiss List. Naomi can ogle every hot guy she sees and still save herself for when Ely realizes they ar
Joanna
Sep 17, 2007 Joanna added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: specifically? Maria, definitely.
Shelves: fiction, youngadult
Another Cohn/Levithan collaboration that manages to be funny and sweet and hopeful and nasty and sexy and romantic. I'm generally too lazy to write book reviews, but I will share three of my favorite quotes:

1. "Ely is probably right. The best I'll ever get is if I fuck me. In fact, I've tried, but masturbation turns out to be hella time-consuming with not very satisfactory results. Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong. My work ethic has always been weak."

2. "'We're going to a drag version of Lilith
Mimo
Jan 23, 2008 Mimo rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
Shelves: ya
3.5 stars. I was excited to read a book with one of the title characters sharing my first name. Unfortunately, I couldn't stand this Naomi until the last twenty pages of the book. I especially hated how she was always writing in symbols instead of words. Maybe teens would like it, but it drove me up the wall. I also couldn't quite get behind her complete and total delusion in thinking that she was going to grow up and marry her (very) gay best friend. It was a little too much like Will & Gra ...more
Kaethe
It's hard going at the beginning, because this book starts out with a traumatic breakup. Best friends forever, done. And for those of us who never thought about the downside of New York city apartment buildings, one of them has got to be constantly running into your ex.

Anyway, because this is by Levithan and Cohn, there will be many good things coming. But, oh, that breakup. So hard!
Shay (The Story Goes...)
I have mixed feelings on this book...

Kim
Every now and then, when I come off the back of something really heavy and adult, I want a little light YA fiction to cleanse my palate.
Levithan (always want to type Leviathan when I see that) and Cohen are firm favourites for me in this respect. Occupying the land somewhere between Nick at Night, John Hughes and Gregg Araki, their books are a source of incredible comfort and simplicity.

Don't we all miss the times when all you had to do was flunk out of school and care about records and these
Tricia
Originally posted on I Write, therefore I am Alive

After the success of Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, Rachel Cohn and David Levithan teamed up again for another book collaboration which is entitled Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List. I saw this on a second-hand bookstore and I was giddy and excited because I expect this book to be as good as Nick and Norah's. Obviously, the story is about nineteen/twenty-ish Naomi and Ely who are best friends since God knows when. They do a lot of things together
Isamlq
Another pair of teens in NYC: Naomi wants to live happily ever after with Ely. Sadly, Ely, her best friend, happens to be gay. They do everything together... and have come up with a list to keep boys from coming between the two of them. The idea behind the list is Naomi can look her fill at all the boys she wants and Ely can never kiss any of them. It’s a NO KISS LIST. Things don’t work out as planned because of Bruce the Second, Naomi’s boyfriend. Let’s just say that what happens, you see comin ...more
Zcoldglacier
Dana
Okay, so this book wasn't exactly what I expected it to be. But it was a good surprise. I totally loved it, the characters and their relationships were (are) very dear to me.
I had a very hard time stop reading. So I didn't. I just sat and read through the night, even though I'm working today. And it means a lot.
So what I'm trying to say is that this is a really great book, fun with such a variety of characters and points of view and subplots, where I can hardly imagine people actually hating it.
Electra Heart
Iba en busca de una lectura fluffy con algo de diversidad entre las paginas pero vaya basura me he encontrado. De cabeza a mis peores lecturas del año. No es solo que los personajes sean gilipollas perdidos, todos y cada uno de ellos. Es que esto no tiene ni pies ni cabeza. Además ya he dicho que Levithan por muy gay que sea, no sabe escribir personajes gays y menos lesbianas, bisexuales o transgénero. No. Sabe. Punto. Si andáis buscando literatura YA con personajes queer hay mil opciones mejore ...more
Lisa
I actually liked this one a lot more than I thought I would. The beginning was quite hard to get through, mainly because I just didn't understand what was going on. There were so many characters thrown at you at once, and it got quite confusing with all the Bruce's and even both the Robin's. After the first few chapters I understood it a lot better and I liked it a lot more. This book is definitely way better than Nick and Norah's infinite playlist.
Kelli
Sigh. The other collaborations between David Levithan and Rachel Cohn are some of my favorite books, so I'm a little sad that this wasn't quite there. I enjoyed the story, but was annoyed by the number of POVs and hated the use of symbols instead of full words. This was a quick and fun read, but not all that memorable unfortunately. Won't stop me from reading more from these authors, though.
Tiff
I wouldn't be able to recommend this to any teens because it is simply too explicit and unnecessarily vulgar. The authors used 'the f word' way too often, and they treated sex as such a casual thing. Teens don't need any more exposure to this stuff than they already have - their time could be much better served reading any number of higher-quality YA novels.
  • Wide Awake
  • Two Parties, One Tux, and a Very Short Film about The Grapes of Wrath
  • Awake
  • So Hard to Say
  • Die Mitte der Welt
Rachel grew up in the D.C. area and graduated from Barnard College with a B.A. in Political Science. She has written many YA novels, including three that she cowrote with her friend and colleague David Levithan. She lives and writes (when she's not reading other people's books, organizing her music library or looking for the best cappuccino) in New York City.
More about Rachel Cohn...
Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist Dash & Lily's Book of Dares Gingerbread (Cyd Charisse, #1) Beta (Annex, #1) Shrimp (Cyd Charisse, #2)

“It's bullshit to think of friendship and romance as being different. They're not. They're just variations of the same love. Variations of the same desire to be close.” 1394 likes
“We always see our worst selves. Our most vulnerable selves. We need someone else to get close enough to tell us we’re wrong. Someone we trust.” 1055 likes