Start by marking “The Promise in a Kiss (Cynster, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Promise in a Kiss (Cynster, #0.5)

The Promise in a Kiss (Cynster 0.5)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  4,561 Ratings  ·  149 Reviews

What would you do if you were kissed by the most handsome stranger you'd ever seen? And what if that man was a Cynster?

Every girl—even convent-educated ones—dreams of forbidden kisses. So when a man literally falls at Helena's feet as she's walking through the courtyard one moonlit Christmas Eve, the pretty, young comtesse d'Lisle knows he's up to no good. He's clearly
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Promise in a Kiss, please sign up.

Julia Mackey Can it be true the following logical conclusion?
Can it be true the following logical conclusion?
Lady Lady Augusta Cynster Marchioness of Huntly - wife of Herbert Marquess of Huntly in 1783 they have a two year old son Edward and wait for the second child. "Huntly is a good-natured man who never pretended to be able to manage Augusta. He does, however, have extremely good sense and so knows when she needs to be managed. He then summons me."
In 1816 the Marquess of Huntly takes office in Westminster. "Lady Augusta!" Minerva hurried down the main stairs, all but tripping in her haste to rescue them all. "We were expecting you yesterday and wondered what had happened." "Hubert happened, or rather Westminster called, and he was delayed, so we set out rather later than I'd wished." Augusta turned to envelop her in a warm embrace."
In the period since 1817, Herbert inherits the title of Duke of Huntington. "He waited until they had, at last, parted from his ladyship and were once more rolling towards the gates before saying," Lady Osbaldestone seems quite determined to see you well wed. "Totally unconcerned by her ladyship's grand schemes, which had even stretched as far as the Duke of Huntington, Sophie smiled gaily. "Indeed. They are all of them busy hatching schemes."
Their eldest son, Edward gets the title of Marquess of Huntly and cares for Miss Sophia Winterton, but she marries Jack Lester. In 1835, Huntingdon, big, burly gentleman was not a fool, he was a fellow campaigner Earl of Cothelstone, who organized and supervised the police.
Lady Marjorie Almsworthy - the daughter of Herbert Marquess of Huntly and Lady Augusta Cynster Marchioness of Huntly of Huntly Hall, Northamptonshire, got married Herbert, Lord Darent of Darent Hall in Northamptonshire and become Marjorie, Lady Darent («Tangled Reins»).
Marjorie, Lady Darent - wife Herbert, Lord Darent, prim, prosy and hopelessly inelegant in every way, was worse than useless.
Stephanie Laurens Kathie Wilkinson - Augusta's children are not in the family trees anymore because they are not Cynsters. Although Augusta appears in several other books - she's the Marchioness of Huntingdon - her children, Edward and Marjorie, do not.
The younger son - Lord Percy Almsworthy close friend Jack Lester and Harry Lester. "Jack gestured to Percy, hanging back on his other side." If you'll permit me to introduce Lord Percy Almsworthy? "" Pleased to make your acquaintance, Miss Winterton. "Prepared to be wary, Sophie saw at a glance that Lord Percy was sprung from a mould quite different from his companion. Reassured, she smiled and held out a hand. As he leant from the saddle to shake it, she thought she detected a look of keen appraisal in Lord Percy's mild gaze. "M ' father's Carlisle, "he said, giving her a peg on which to hang his hat. It follows that he is married to the daughter of Earl of Carlisle. Carmarthen Earl of Carlisle granduncle Reggie Carmarthen, so the title of Earl of Carlisle inherit Herbert Carmathen, Viscount Northcote, father of Reggie. This explains the close friendship with the family Carmarthen of the family Cynster.(less)

rockycloe
Jun 27, 2013 rockycloe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I made the super huge mistake of reading this as my first Cynster novel because, you know, it was about the parents and I have a total ocd when it comes of cronological order in a series. Then, while I was reading, I found out that some years later the HEA the hero cheats on the heroine. Well ok, i didn't like it but I have an open mind, shit can happen, apparently it was a one night stand sort of thing done out of pity (yeah.... Uhmmm) and then they were happy and in love till death. And TH ...more
sraxe
Jan 07, 2016 sraxe marked it as do-not-read  ·  review of another edition
Why write a romance book if you've already messed with the HEA?

(view spoiler)
Kelly
Gi's Spot Reviews
Isn't it nice when the premise of an entire series, is the result of the H's CHEATING? *cue sarcastic eye roll*...
Self note:

Amanda
I'd read this years ago, but somehow, fictfact.com has this listed as both .5 and 7.5 in the series. I wasn't paying attention, and I just requested the next book from my library. As I'm already up to book 17 in the series, I'm well aware of what happens after they marry. I find it interesting that no mention of Richard is made in the Epilogue, that's supposed to chronicle the first few years of the marriage. Kind of an important thing to leave out, don't you think?

I have no issues with the actu
Melissa
Jul 17, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: romantic-reads
I was going to give this a 4-star, because it has great character development for books that were already written (books 1-6, particularly Devil's Bride since Devil is Sebastian and Helena's son) but there's one glaring point at issue that is bothering me.

(view spoiler)
Desiree M ~*~*~ LiveReadCollect
I started to read this one because it was the prequel to the popular Cynster series and I have the first book on my bookcase but I wanted to read about what started this family off.

I read about the first 75 or so pages. The writing was fine, it wasn't hugely fantastic to me but it was fine and I was enjoying but still not completely invested in the romance between Sebastian and Helena.

However I had found out, through a friend who absolutely loves this series, that (view spoiler)
Nenya
Aug 20, 2014 Nenya rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was pretty much a 3 or 4 star book (for the genre)... However, we find out in later books (later chronologically, not by year of publishing) that the H cheated on the h. Oh boy! They were supposedly so in love. But when H goes to some associate's place and sees how his poor wife is mistreated, he pities her, and wants to comfort her, so he sleeps with her, and puts her (and the baby) in a worse situation than before... It just defies logic. The h accepting the baby I get, but accepting what ...more
Bark's Book Nonsense
I listened to this audio while burned out on traditional historical romances and dozed my way through most of it with a vague feeling of having read all it before. I had heard nothing but raves about this author but I didn't find anything special here to wake me out of my book induced semi-coma.

The hero is an arrogant alpha man and the heroine is an arrogant, privileged virgin. Whoopie, how many times have I read this love story before? Still, I finished it hoping the whole time that I wasn't g
Tam B.
Jan 25, 2013 Tam B. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. What I liked best about it was that the hero and heroine were equals and viewed each other as such. They matched in pedigree and wealth, but more importantly in attitude.

This wasn't some girl being feisty to the indulgence of a suitor. It wasn't some blue stocking drawn into the limelight and made fashionable by a man's interest. It wasn't some eccentric who is adorable being discovered. This was acknowledgement and recognition of equals between equals. I've read
Chitra *CJ*
Jun 14, 2016 Chitra *CJ* rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nope, v-card
EDIT (view spoiler)

Prequel to the Cynster series of a sort, this was a sweet read.
Helena comes to England, to escape her ruthless guardian Fabien and choose a meek groom for herself. Fortunately, she encounters Sebastian instead, whom she had shared her heated first kiss, and their (stubborn)
Julianna
May 12, 2015 Julianna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Author or the Cynster Series
Reviewed for THC Reviews
"3.5 stars" I had previously read only one novella by Stephanie Laurens quite a while ago, but I absolutely loved it. Consequently, I've been looking forward to trying one of her full-length novels for a long time. Unfortunately, The Promise in a Kiss left me feeling somewhat disappointed. Even though it's been a while since I read it, I seem to recall that novella being vibrant, sensual, and engaging, but this book was slow, sometimes confusing, and didn't really hold my
Brittany
Good overall romance and the action was trilling to read. The romance scenes were average but not boring to read. I was excited to read how Sylvester's parents met and married. I loved seeing them fall in love and Helena's internal and sometimes very visible external struggles with her feelings for the Duke. The one question I have about this book is, if the Duke so truly loved his wife and was such an proud man why would he cheat on her while in Scotland with Lady Eleanor McEnery and create Ric ...more
Deserie williams
Jan 07, 2016 Deserie williams marked it as just-not-for-me-stay-away-hell-no  ·  review of another edition
self note: H cheats and gets ow pregnant. plus if that isn't enough someone dies. no thank you. I'm staying away from this serious.
Vane
Oct 19, 2014 Vane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
De la saga de los Cynster tenía leídos los 4 primeros volúmenes (siendo Diablo uno de mis protagonistas masculinos favoritos). Y esta precuela (la historia de amor de los padres de Diablo) siempre estuvo entre mis lecturas deseadas. La historia en sí me ha colmado, los personajes y la trama me han entretenido y mucho. Pero.....
El `pero como una casa es la edición llevada a cabo por B de Books: el título original, y que vemos según abrimos el ebook, es "La promesa de un beso", pero la novela se p
Amy
OH MY WORD. OH MY WORD. OH.MY.WOOOOOOORD!!!!! I actually thought I was going to die when I read this book. Although not my favourite HR/BR ever, it has probably now just become my second or third!! oh my goodness, I don't even know, it was too amazing -.- I can't speak...or breathe XD okay, I genuinely think that the easiest way for me to do this without either screaming everything - or dying - will be just to simply rate each aspect of this unbeatable book. (btw: Stephanie Laurens is my h.e.r.o ...more
Lovetoread
Jan 01, 2015 Lovetoread rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I really liked this story. A young girl, convent-educated, forbidden kisses from a handsome stranger. Who would not like this romance. The handsome young English man in question is Sebastian Cynster, Duke of St. Ives. Our young girl is, Helena, comtesse d'Lisle. And like all good romances the question in the readers mind is will fate decree that they meet again? Seven years later, Helena has been transformed from a pretty schoolgirl to an aristocratic beauty. Her sparkling wit has made her sough ...more
Neeuqdrazil
While this is book 7.5 in the Cynster series, it's actually the first, chronologically, telling the story of Helena and Sebastian, the Duke and Duchess of the generation before the Cynsters of the rest of the series.

This feels like a Regency romance, although it's set 30 years earlier, and really shouldn't. Both English and French society were significantly different in the years leading up to the end of the Napoleonic wars when most 'Regency' romances are set (around 1815). This is set in 1783
Kit★
I read this a few years ago, long before I found GR, maybe back in 2007? Not sure, but it was awhile ago. Way before I read any of the rest of the Cynster books. Now that we have read the last currently available in the series, I'm wanting to give this a re-read, now that I'm involved with the family. The epilogue of The Taming of Ryder Cavanaugh, where Helena briefly thought about Sebastian, well, it kinda made me want to remind myself about their story. I remember liking it, but not adoring it ...more
Susan (susayq ~)
In my opinion, this wasn't the most well written book I've ever read. I've read fanfiction that was written better. HOWEVER, the story that was contained within the words spoke to me. Helena was determined to find freedom from an overbearing guardian and didn't want a husband that would be the same. Yet she fell for a man cut from the same cloth. When her guardian set out to blackmail her, she realized she loved Sebastian and knew she'd have to hurt him, and herself, to protect her sister. In th ...more
Elizabeth
Dec 20, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really don't think I will ever grow tired of reading about the Cynsters. Unlike the other books in Stephanie Laurens' series, A Promise in a Kiss is actually a backstory--> the story of Sebastian and Helena, Devil's parents. This was another book that was so much fun to read, especially since both Sebastian's and Helena's are stubborn and determined to manipulate other's in order to gain their wish, until they realize it is better if they don't. The strength and determination in Helena's ch ...more
Jane (PS)
May 21, 2013 Jane (PS) rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook

There is a lot of internalization in the characters' thoughts which tends to bore me out of my brain, plus some rather extended luv scenes. I liked the theory of this book with the h not trusting the H's intentions, and there is some good MC friction, but parts just drag.
Rebeca Figueiredo
Hero cheats on the heroine after the "HEA", and even has a bastard....
Shari Kay
Feb 05, 2016 Shari Kay marked it as no-thank-you  ·  review of another edition
O. M. G.

This author is not to be trusted with a "romance" and is now in the list of authors I will never read.

Barbara
Jun 22, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent (late) start to the Cynster story. Not as good as Devil's Bride, but it's nice to see Helena before she was one of the grand dames. At least as good as some of my other favorites.
Malin
Sixteen year old Helena de Stansion, Comtesse D'Lisle, is spending Christmas Eve wandering around the gardens of the convent where her sister is recuperating from illness when a man suddenly drops down into the convent garden pretty much on top of her. Assuming the man is fleeing from something clandestine, she lies to the nuns and the guards when the approach her to ask if she's seen someone on the grounds. As a thank you for protecting him, the handsome stranger gives her a kiss.

Seven years la
JOHANA JIMENEZ VARGAS
Un buen inicio

Aunque no hay mucha descripcion acerca de las costumbres de la epoca el lector puede lograr ambientarla. Sebastian y Helena una historia que entretiene.
LOU71
Oct 08, 2016 LOU71 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have just read (and sometimes skimmed through) the Book #0.5 in the Cynster Series called The Promise In A Kiss which is the story of Devil's parents, the 5th Duke of St Ives, Sebastian Cynster, and Helena de Stansion, the young Comtesse d'Lisle. Unfortunately, it didn't captivate, charm or engage me.

This isn't a stand-alone book. It's the beginning of a series but the author didn't treat it as one. I found the plot disappointing because the author has already written a compelling conflict int
Más libros para Latinoamérica!! 1 1 Mar 02, 2017 10:29AM
  • My Scandalous Bride
  • The Further Observations of Lady Whistledown (Lady Whistledown, #1)
  • Beware a Scot's Revenge (School for Heiresses, #3)
  • Desperately Seeking a Duke (Heiress Brides, #1)
  • Winter Fire (Malloren, #6)
  • Simply Unforgettable (Simply Quartet #1)
  • Love With the Proper Husband (Effingtons, #6)
  • The Price of Indiscretion (Cameron Sisters, #2)
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Stephanie and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Stephanie
More about Stephanie Laurens...

Cynster (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1)
  • A Rake's Vow (Cynster, #2)
  • Scandal's Bride (Cynster, #3)
  • A Rogue's Proposal (Cynster,  #4)
  • A Secret Love (Cynster, #5)
  • All About Love (Cynster, #6)
  • All About Passion (Cynster, #7)
  • On a Wild Night (Cynster, #8)
  • On a Wicked Dawn (Cynster, #9)
  • On A Wild Night / On A Wicked Dawn