The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web and Beyond, 2/E

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  1,000 ratings  ·  51 reviews
This is the eBook version of the printed book.Web design is more than just creating clean code and sharp graphics. A site that really works fulfills strategic objectives while meeting users needs. Even the best content and the most sophisticated technology won't help you balance those goals without a cohesive, consistent user experience to support it.The Elements of User E...more
Published December 16th 2010 by New Riders Publishing (first published October 21st 2002)

Tamara
This book essentially dissects the process of website creation, clearly defining every element that goes into planning and implementing a website. This would have provided an invaluable visual map during our last website redesign. Rather than a tangled ball of yarn, I can now see all of the wheels and cogs fit together in a logical manner.

It seems that, of the five planes of the user experience development process (the surface plane, the skeleton plane, the structure plane, the scope plane and...more
Josh Lee
The diagram that lies at the heart of the book, a layered view of user experience design, is solid. The book itself feels kind of padded, though, and I found myself skimming a lot. You might be better served by simply meditating on the diagram itself ( http://jjg.net/elements/pdf/elements.pdf ), and only referring to the book if you need more explication.
Minah
This book defines each phrase of user-centered designs well.
Strategy(user needs, site objectives),
Scope(functional spedifications, content requirements),
Structure(interaction design, information architecture),
Skeleton(information design), and
Surface(visual design)
Mike Hales
Absolutely essential reading if this is an area of professional or personal interest.

I try and reread this book once a year as a kind of grounding and to re-establish the key processes and steps involved in considered and effective UX design.
Haider Al-Mosawi
This is a must-read book for anyone involved in web development.

It takes a holistic look at the subject of user experience and provides a very useful vocabulary for all the elements involved in user experience design.

The author provides a model that consists of 5 planes that cover the abstract as well as the concrete aspects of the user experience.

The 5 planes are:

1- Strategy (why you're building the site for you and your users)
2- Scope
3- Structure
4- Skeleton
5- Surface (the visual elements of th...more
Graham Herrli
Perhaps the most pleasantly surprising thing about this book was realizing part-way through that it's a theory book. For the most part, I can't abide theory. I prefer writings that demonstrate their ideas with concrete principles, so I was pleased to realize while reading this book that I hadn't even noticed I was reading theory. The prose style is clear and concise enough that the pages fly by despite their abstract content.

Garrett considers five overlapping planes in website design: the surfa...more
Kelley
Aug 24, 2008 Kelley rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Web developers and designers who want to understand UX
I just finished Andy Clarke's Transcending CSS and deciding to delve into The Elements of User Experience which I picked up because, skimming, I realized it was giving me names for what most of us are already doing.

So far, it's concise and Garrett does a nice job of making sure that a web developer doesn't leave a reading of the book with impression that user-centered design isn't connected to a much bigger discipline, human factors design. Garrett hasn't used that word -- or Computer Human Int...more
Bayu Amus
Momoko Price
Wonderfully concise and logical fundamentals book. Was a bit disappointed — although not at all surprised —that the chapter on "sensory design" didn't mention even one basic heuristic or guideline for effective content/copy.

The just-won't-die convention of keeping copy / content removed from UX design processes is a perpetual point of frustration for me. I love content strategy, but I am getting really tired of being brought in at the point of web-project crisis and expected to resolve strategy...more
Angela
If I read this a year ago, I would have awarded it 5 stars. It's still a great book and explains the basic principles of UX really well but overall, nothing was really fresh to me. It's rewarding to notice my knowledge progression from novice to competent in the academic arena of UXD.

Garrett touched on the importance of success metrics early into the book and it sparked my interest. With so much to cover in such a small time, this subject wasn't discussed in my curriculum. When applying learned...more
Sergey
Мнение сугубо личное, но думаю, с ним согласятся специалисты со стажем.
Книга будет интересна только новичкам или узкопрофильным специалистам. Большинство рекомендаций из области "здравого смысла", которые приобрели популярность с распространением IT технологий в массах.
Очень трудно было читать на русском - во первых, перевод если и без грубых ошибок, то все же написан слишком формальным языком и, как следствие, воспринимается в большим трудом; во вторых - мне лично очень редко приходится читать...more
Asia Hoe
Jul 03, 2013 Asia Hoe rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: User Experience Designers, Business Analysts, Etc.
Recommended to Asia by: General Assembly
I read this book in preparation for a class at General Assembly on User Experience Design. Excellent resource on User Experience for both designers and everyone they meet in a product's life cycle. The methodologies herein are invaluable and worth revisiting at the start of each project, and at each phase of a project. You won't find specific examples, as the book is more about methodology than application. This is helpful if you're trying to wrap your mind around what UX is, and how to go about...more
Carol
This was one of the texts for my Information Architecture class. I really liked it both as a textbook and in general as a resource on web design. It's straightforwardness and pure usefulness are its biggest assets. Garrett is clear, direct, and concise throughout the the book, and the diagrams were truly helpful in illustrating and explaining concepts. His framework and approach is logical and practical - it would be relevant and useful for just about any type of website or other such projects.
Pete Meyers
Concise, commensensical roundup of how to develop great user experiences. Garrett mainly focuses on websites, but in this editions pays a bit of attention to other products (mobile apps, e.g.). There's no one bit of advice in here that will strike digital veterans as revelatory; instead, the value of this book lies in the way he puts all steps of the develop process into a unified framework (from strategy to visual design). It's a great refresher for anyone about to get started on a new project....more
Alyssa
Great book that walks you through the stages of designing a good user experience. It focuses on websites, but it has applications for client software as well. Loved how he explained how each stage builds on the next, and his explanations of how various disciplines such as info architecture, visual design, interaction design, etc. work together. A must-read for anyone in web or software development.
Christopher Stella
Though digital design has evolved dramatically since this book was first published, every element still rings true.

Like the well designed products for which JJG is providing a blueprint, the book is beautifully structured, its messages clearly and succinctly articulated - providing readers with an enjoyable experience that educates and entertains. This is a must read for any designer or marketer.
Chris Aylott
A slim book with plenty of food for thought. I don't know how useful Garrett's schema really is, because a lot of the elements he describes are subject to the whim of (ahem) other stakeholders in the process. But it's an interesting way to organize your thoughts about a design, and a good reminder of how all the decisions relate to each other.
Fritz Desir
Great book and what I'd recommend to people seeking to cross the UX chasm (yeah I made that up but it exists). Recommended ESPECIALLY to colleagues that you may work with who just don't *fully* get it. Gripes: More of a bibliography is needed and more mobile would've been appreciated. All in all. ABSOLUTELY WORTH READING...
Dave Emmett
Read for the April UX Book Club.

This is a good grounding in how to do user experience design, though I didn't find much new here that I wasn't already aware of before.

I expect that this would make a great introduction to the field for people who want to get into it, or who need to work with UX people.
Tessa
The guy coined the term "Ajax", so I thought I'd better read his stuff. I'm sure it's good, but for what I do, it's simply "too much". I'll stick with Krug. If you oversee the UX of a large-scale, enterprise wide platform site, then you'll probably get a lot more out of this than I did.
Scott Smith
Easily read in one long sitting or over a weekend (as I did). If you're attempting a website redesign, this is a good place to start. Even if you've spent several years on the Web and have a feel for the material already, it's a good review and reminder of why these are best practices.
Jeff Stern
I've recently had a growing interest in the field of User Experience and Human Computer Interaction and this book was a great launching point for that field. It gave a really good idea of what work goes into the field and explained concepts in a very approachable manner.
Westerville
"This book essentially dissects the process of website creation, clearly defining every element that goes into planning and implementing a website." - Tamara, Web Content Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
John
Everything written here about designing websites applies to developing any kind of software. The most important lesson Garrett imparts is to make explicit, conscious decisions at every stage of development about the user experience of your software. Recommended.
Flashwolver
A long time ago, a read the 1st edition, this adds two layers to UX web processs (it makes sense) and in general I think is a good quick basic reference (and a good reminder) about what it is the UX.
JP
It's rare to find a design or technology book so simply written. This book would be as useful to a developer or executive as it would to a designer. It made me think differently about some of the projects I was involved with over the past 10 years.
Gustav Pace
Give this to your boss if he wants to know what 'all this UX stuff is about.' If he's particularly short of time, print out Garrett's brilliant diagram (www.jjg.net/elements/pdf/elements.pdf) and glue it to his desk.
Sibyl
Excellent overview of UX. Would rate it 5 stars, but it could use some updates. I'd be really interested in seeing how the author suggests working within the confines of a CMS, for example.
David
Read about this book in a UX article on the web. The multiplanar representation of the problem is interesting. Probably not a lot I haven't heard before but a nice concise discussion.
Cadillacrazy
This book reviews the basics of user experience in a way that is easily explainable to your business partners, and is a good one to have handy in case you forget how to explain them...
  • A Project Guide to UX Design: For User Experience Designers in the Field or in the Making
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites
  • About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design
  • Observing the User Experience: A Practitioner's Guide to User Research
  • Mental Models: Aligning Design Strategy with Human Behavior
  • Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services
  • Measuring the User Experience: Collecting, Analyzing, and Presenting Usability Metrics
  • Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design
  • Designing with the Mind in Mind: Simple Guide to Understanding User Interface Design Rules
  • Sketching User Experiences:  Getting the Design Right and the Right Design
  • Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-it-yourself Guide to Finding and Fixing Usability Problems (Voices That Matter)
  • Designing the Obvious: A Common Sense Approach to Web Application Design
  • Information Architecture: Blueprints for the Web
  • Undercover User Experience: Learn How to Do Great UX Work with Tiny Budgets, No Time, and Limited Support
  • Designing for the Social Web
  • Designing With Web Standards

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Jesse James Garrett is a user experience designer as well as a co-founder of Adaptive Path, a user experience strategy and design firm, and of the Information Architecture Institute. His essays have appeared in New Architect, Boxes and Arrows, and Digital Web Magazine. Jesse attended the University of Florida.

Garrett authored The Elements of User Experience, a conceptual model of user-centered des...more
More about Jesse James Garrett...