Blank-133x176
On Dialogue

David Bohm

On Dialogue

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  279 ratings  ·  27 reviews
"During the past few decades, modern technology, with radio, television, air travel and satellites has woven a network of communications which puts each part of the world into almost instant contact with all the other parts. Yet, in spite of this world-wide system of linkages, there is, at every moment, a general feeling that communication is breaking down everywhere, on a...more
Published October 31st 1996 by Routledge

To ask other readers questions about On Dialogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Dialogue

Brandon Lott
Immensely important to the future of humanity. If we can't dialogue ... we will continue a downward spiral in our humanity towards each other and the planet.
Melanie
David Bohm was a physicist by trade, but a man who had the capacity to abstract what he learned from his work into the larger arena of meaningful living. To read Bohm is to learn to think and talk again. His way of being in the world doesn't allow for a person to avoid participating or being changed by that participation.

In Peter Senge's intro (xiii) to this work, he draws on Bohm's words:
"A different kind of consciousness is possible among us, a PARTICIPATORY CONSCIOUSNESS." In genuine dialogu...more
Phakin
Need more time and more basic knowledge, this book was very tough. Yet I think it was quite interesting despite the fact that I didn't even understand how can "a dialogue" work especially in such specific situation. By the way, Bohm's explanation on the relation between a 'tacit knowledge' and our actions was so touching.

If I say that this book "convinced" me to keep on examining my "self"... Was Bohm achieve his aims?
Seth Galbraith
Apr 13, 2008 Seth Galbraith rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: activists and philosophers
Recommended to Seth by: B. F. Galbraith
Physicist David Bohm provides a uniquely european and scientific perspective into the paradoxes of identity which most westerners know only indirectly through translations and interpretations of asian scripture.

Bohm suggests a mechanism for exploring thought and perhaps even solving global problems through dialogue in which groups of people suspend and examine their assumptions about who they are and what they believe.
Janne Asmala
A great collection of thought-provoking articles from a Western scientist on the nature of consciousness and the possibilities dialogue might open up for it's development.
Kristina
This was very dry to me. I think Bohm is a physics professor writing about dialogue. What Jim Knight wrote in his book really sums up Bohms points concisely.
Gene
A seminal work on the dynamics of human dialogue by one of the most original thinkers of the 20th century.
John David
David Bohm, the author of “On Dialogue,” was apparently recognized as one of the greatest theoretical physicists of the twentieth century. Despite my background in physics, I’d never heard of his contributions to the field, and I’d certainly never heard of his contributions to other fields, including … well, whatever you could call this book. Is it philosophy? Communications? I know it’s not an attempt at literary theory, but some of it seems to resemble it. It fancies itself a visionary way of...more
Mikal
I began reading this book thinking it would be a quick read. In spite of its short length it was not.
On Dialogue was an extremely involved book, it reads like a series of essays that introduce concepts from the authors empirical experience, though the authors experience is never clarified, in addition to a plodding jaunt through dialogue as well as thoughts.
This book seems intended for deep study. I suspect that I will have to read it multiple times to receive full value.
The concepts boil down...more
John
this book is a thin collection of essays, and seeming transcriptions of talks, collected and published posthumously. the major concepts of the book are not terribly complicated, especially compared to wholeness and the implicate order by the same author. consequently, i severely underestimated this book, and got blown away in chapter three to such an extent that i had to put the book down for a week, and try the chapter again.

this is a book about how we all think, together, and how we can try to...more
Yameen
More theoretical and philosophy based but an informative read nonetheless.
David Roberts
It's a collection of essays and transcribed talks over time. I'd say that Bohm is a phenomenal thinker and an average writer. Unfortunately he has some pet examples that show up in essy after essay, rather than a more robust set of images to make his point. Nonetheless, his point is strong and if you haven't thought deeply about how we communicate with eachother as individuals and societies this will be thought provoking (or maybe boring, depending on your perspective.)
Mario Gagliardi
Interesting book on conversation, dialogue, and thought. Very dense for the 100 pages that it is contained. The type of book that could be read several times and not completely understood. My favorite part was on "tacit knowledge"- knowledge that could not properly be stated such as how one might catch a ball without being able to explain that parabolic shape that the trajectory of the ball was in.
Bill
interesting reading. should be more widely studied especially in corporate structures. Does strike me as naive and wish-full thinking. It is true that interaction breeds understanding, but legislatures have been interacting on a personal basis for some time and continue to largely pursue political self interest rather than rational process
Mitch Allen
Delightful little book on the role of dialogue within our culture, the power of collective thought and a call to action. Similar to his On Creativity, this is a collection of his writings on the topic of Dialogue, so while providing a fundamental philosophy and some unique insight, it is not sufficiently comprehensive.
Stephan
Tough read, but very inspiring and 'thoughtprovoking'. Good to read from a scientist on this type of subject matter.

Putting the described dialogue techniques in practice is what it is all about, so I'll need to look for Dialogue groups that adhere to this way of communication.
Zrinka
Philosophical discussion on dialogue. Nothing spectacular, sometimes dull. I liked the bit where he points out that human behavior and feelings that we find troubling need to be approached and resolved as a paradox, not as a problem.
Atao
A book with a proposition that meanwhile has been explored without bringing about successful results. Nevertheless the concept seems to me very promising and may need further research and practical adaptation.
Jim
I read this book on the recommendation of an instructor. I was taking 3 leadership classes with DISA and a very good instructor said I could benefit from this class. I am certainly glad I did.
Scott Ford
Another important book in my library. Bohm manages to synthesize the complexities of communication in sound, cogent considerations. Uncomplicated, yet intricate. Great!
Penelope
Really seminal thinking from this renowned British Philosopher. his book has contributed to the thinking around promise based management and appreciative enquiry
Corina
The best part of it was not the description of the practice, but the purpose of dialogue to awaken consciousness in all of us in a collective process.
Carmen Rodríguez
Really unique description of what dialogue is and the problems of the world that it can solve with the how and why.
Gary D.
I liked the book, but I think that dialogue is a haphazard method for performing Husserl's free phantasy variation.
Tim Filbert
Need to review this... it's been awhile. But a critical examination of the complexities of dialogue.
Fernando
Dialogue as an expression of thought....
Oli
So much sense in this book.
Vive Anam
Vive Anam marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
  • Dialogue: The Art Of Thinking Together
  • Presence: An Exploration of Profound Change in People, Organizations, and Society
  • Theory U: Leading from the Future as it Emerges
  • Sanford Meisner on Acting
  • On Moral Fiction
  • Consciousness: An Introduction
  • How We Think
  • Impro for Storytellers (Theatre Arts (Routledge Paperback))
  • Freeing the Natural Voice
  • The Awakening of Intelligence
  • Games for Actors and Non-Actors
  • The Sciences of the Artificial
Wholeness and the Implicate Order On Creativity Thought as a System Quantum Theory Science, Order and Creativity

“individual thought is mostly the result of collective thought and of interaction with other people. The language is entirely collective, and most of the thoughts in it are. Everybody does his own thing to those thoughts – he makes a contribution. But very few change them very much.” 1 likes
“In the dialogue people should talk directly to one another, one to one, across the circle. Then the time would come, if we got to know each other a bit and could trust each other, when you could speak very directly to the whole group, or to anybody in it.” 1 likes