Start by marking “Home for a Bunny” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Home for a Bunny

Margaret Wise Brown

Home for a Bunny (Little Golden Books)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  1,442 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Hop along with a cuddly brown bunny as he searches for a home in this newly reformatted classic! Growing to a larger-sized edition but keeping that familiar Golden Books feel, Home for a Bunny captures the springtime sweetness and warmth that generations of fans have come to adore. This bunny will surely find a welcome home on your child's bookshelf.
Published June 30th 1983 by Random House Children's Books (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Home for a Bunny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home for a Bunny

Caleb
Apr 17, 2009 Caleb rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those curious about where bunnies live
Recommended to Caleb by: I think the Easter Bunny gave it to me originally...
Shelves: picture-books
I read this several thousand times growing up, and just re-read it as an adult for the first time. It's considerably less suspensful than I remembered it being. (Spoiler: The best place for a rabbit to live isn't a bird's nest or a frog's bog but in a rabbit hole).

A warren? Is that what you call rabbit den/holes? This book doesn't say. The art is by Garth Williams, who wrote and drew the anti-living-in-sin book "The Rabbit's Wedding," which I did not realize until just this weekend.

Becky B
I absolutely adored this story and the illustrations as a young child. To this day I think I can still recite almost the entire book.
Heather
This was my favorite book as a child. My mother read it to me about 1,000 Times. My father read it to me about 2,000 times. I had it memorized. My son's loved it too. With a celebration of spring, a wonderful story mixed with beautiful illustrations by Garth Williams, this book is a must-have for all young children.
Margaret
Apr 23, 2014 Margaret rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Memoria Press Junior Kindergarten
Very cute. Picture and story from my childhood now I'm able to share with my girls in a lovely large golden book format. Perfect for spring all season long and a good add on bunny theme around Easter.
Adrienne
Fond memories of my mother reading this to me. I thought the ending was so beautiful. Also, my mom would always say "Home for a bunny" when we were done with our errands.
Jobiska (Cindy)
Margaret Wise Brown words + Garth Williams illustrations = Love
Shala Howell
Sweet little story. Pleasant to read over (and over and over ...)
Megan B
Great book AND perfect for emerging readers
Robert Beveridge
Margaret Wise Brown, Home for a Bunny (Golden Press, 1956)

Margaret Wise Brown is, of course, best-known for Goodnight Moon. It's a classic for a reason, even if it does break its rhythm in one very conspicuous place (“and a young mouse” is missing two syllables). If you're familiar with Brown past that, it's probably because of The Runaway Bunny, and I have often wondered how popular that book would still be were pictures of it not cleverly introduced in Goodnight Moon. But Brown wrote a large n
T Crockett
The illustrations are great. I love the face on the baby robins and that skunk cabbage (a sign of spring here in New England) is part of the landscape.

The woodland critters that the bunny meets aren't especially nice or interesting. It's one of those super repetitive books for little ones. I'd say the target age is around 2 yrs old.
Karen
Such a sweet, beautiful book about Spring. And bunnies. It is impossible to go wrong with a LIttle Golden Book written by Margaret Wise Brown and illustrated by Garth Williams.

Eva
Read this to my grandson who is almost 8 months old getting him started on reading as early as possible.
Lavonne
It doesn't get much better than Margaret Wise Brown. Kids need to hear this kind of prose. Lyrical and fun.
Andrea
Love this book with simple, child-like language, and the gorgeous illustrations. My daughter loves it too! Love Garth Williams' drawings, I just want to hug them!
H.L. Stephens
Another favorite from the Golden Books collection.
Kim T.
My kids and I really liked this book. It was simple, cute, and educational. We were able to talk about what we saw and problem solve each scenario.

I would definitely recommend this book.
Modboy
Simply put bunny is looking for his home. He asks the other animals where they live, always places unsuitable for a bunny. That is until he meets another bunny.

Williams' art is pleasant and MW Brown's story is sweet but I could not get into the rhythm of the text. The rhymes don't always match up and they're often missing when you expect one although children probably won't mind.
Robin
Have I read this book before today? Possibly since this is a Golden Book in an oversize format. This is such a wonderful story about a rabbit looking for a home. And the illustrations by Garth Williams are captivating. Although I tend to use a lot of newer books, this is an old favorite that I will offer during a storytime this summer, I think!
SeriouslyJerome
You just can't go wrong with a Margaret Wise Brown book. Garth Williams illustrations make it even better.

The excitement built as Pippa anticipated the results of a bunny asking various animals if he could join them in their homes, in the hope of finding his very own. I think Pippa was disappointed when he finally did...
Peggy
We read this one often. It's sweet and simple. Bunny looks for a home and asks the other animals around where their homes are. Eventually he lives in a hole under a rock with another bunny friend. The artwork is the best part, at the end of the book, the bunnies' home looks so cozy you want to crawl in with them.
Sarah Johnson
I was surprised by how much the toddlers really liked this book when I read it to them in story time this week. Warning... the second or third page talks about how a bunny can't live under water because it will drown. Not that big of a deal, but some people care about that kind of stuff.
Jeffiner Singleton
Such a cute and cozy book. I LOVE the pictures (Garth Williams is one of my all time fav illustrators) and the simple text. Me and my son have a special rhythmic way of reading this that makes it almost like a song with a chorus that repeats here and there.
Schmobes
This was a good level 2 book. Lots of repitition of words. But a cute story, and the illustrations by Garth Williams are fabulous. I like having Kiddo read what he considers "real" books, books I would read to Kutey--it gives him confidence.
Shyla
Truly the first book I ever remember. I still own my childhood copy, the cover has been halway ripped off and the pages are dog eared but I will never part from it. I lvoe the end when Bunny finally finds a home of his own.
Beth
Jun 22, 2008 Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
This has been my favorite book since I was a child. Both my grandmother read it to me constantly, and it was one of the first books I read by myself (The Foot Book by Dr. Seuss was the first). The story is so sweet and cute.
Ashley Fortson
This book is more for younger age children. The bunny in the story goes around to all kinds of animals and ask if the place they live is his home. Finally at the end of the book the bunny finds a perfect home for himself.
Jodi
I remember having a large copy of this book that I would leave at my Grandma's house to read. "Home for a Bunny, Home of his own." I need to get a copy for my daughter...
Gary Masskin
Fairly classic picture book structure but no character development and a relatively unsatisfying resolution. Good for exploring the concept of animal habitats.
Crossingbird
Age range: 3-6
Literacy skill: Phonological awareness

Repeated phrases, a celebration of spring, and a bunny's search for a home.
  • The Bunny Book
  • Baby Animals (A Little Golden Book)
  • The Jolly Barnyard
  • The Fuzzy Duckling (A First Little Golden Book)
  • My First Counting Book (Little Golden Book)
  • Santa's Toy Shop (Little Golden Book)
  • Prayers for Children
  • I Can Fly (Little Golden Book)
  • We Help Mommy (Little Little Golden Book)
  • Four Little Kittens (Little Little Golden Book)
  • The Shy Little Kitten (Big Little Golden Book)
  • The Happy Man and His Dump Truck
  • Tootle
  • We Like Kindergarten
  • Pete the Sheep-Sheep
  • Richard Scarry's Best Mother Goose Ever
  • What Makes a Rainbow? Mini edition (A Magic Ribbon Book)
  • Big Hugs, Little Hugs
Margaret Wise Brown wrote hundreds of books and stories during her life, but she is best known for Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. Even though she died nearly 60 years ago, her books still sell very well.

Margaret loved animals. Most of her books have animals as characters in the story. She liked to write books that had a rhythm to them. Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or p
More about Margaret Wise Brown...
Goodnight Moon The Runaway Bunny Big Red Barn The Color Kittens The Sailor Dog