Start by marking “Life on Earth: The Story of Evolution” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Life on Earth: The Sto...

Steve Jenkins

Life on Earth: The Story of Evolution

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  94 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
There are millions of different kinds of plants and animals living on the earth. Many millions more lived here in the past. Where did they all come from? Why have some become extinct and others lived on? In this remarkable book for children, Steve Jenkins explores the fascinating history of life on earth and the awe-inspiring story of evolution, Charles Darwin's great cont ...more
Published (first published October 28th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Life on Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life on Earth

Jenny
This book did an excellent job of explaining evolution for children but without dumbing down the subject. I especially love the timeline end, where he shows the history of the Earth as if it happened in a day. This is a great way to explain the long history of the planet, and while he's not the first person to do it, I'm glad he included it in this book.

I also love the illustrations, done in collage (paper cut-outs). It gives a lot of depth and visual interest to the book, and it's a lot of fun
Tasha Gonzalez
Apr 22, 2016 Tasha Gonzalez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great introduction to the topic of evolution, especially for younger students who will revisit this concept most likely either in high school or college. However, because it deals with evolution there may be some parental issues because of the controversy that has surrounded this topic in the past, especially in the classroom. I really loved the page where Jenkins lays out a timeline that represents one single day and compacts earth's entire history up until present day on it. Thi ...more
Kayleigh Z
Nov 12, 2015 Kayleigh Z rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was a+mazing!!! I loved it !!!! please make more books!!!
Selena
Jenkins' text contains striking, colourful fabric illustrations against a stark, white background. The text is straightforward and is neither above children's comprehension nor does it condescend to them. This resource asks the important questions, such as 'Why have some [animals] died out while others have lived on?' The evolution of plants and animals is explained clearly, with just enough detail for young readers. Life on Earth also includes an introduction to Charles Darwin, his theory of ev ...more
Barbara
It's pretty brave of Steve Jenkins and his publishers to tackle a book on evolution for children. Although the book won't be to everyone's particular taste, the explanations of natural selection, variation, and mutations that are harmful and helpful are quite accessible to young readers and would be useful even in classrooms with older children. The inclusion of a timeline and simple bits of information about when certain creatures roamed the earth will help readers gain perspective on the Earth ...more
Jessica Freeman
Author Steven Jenkins explores the fascinating history behind the life on earth, ranging from plants and animals to everything in between. Illustrations are cleverly presented in a way that are child-like in fashion but not so child-like older students would not be intrigued. Animals that may be potentially frightening by becoming less scary through the unique illustrations.

Ill: paint, ink
Audrey's Picture Books
This is a perfectly adequate book, compared to picture book nonfiction as a whole, but it's not quite up to Steve Jenkins's usual standard. Normally, my first reaction to a Steve Jenkins science book is to want everyone I know to read it. This one is fine, but it's not amazing. You can tell it came out fairly early in the author's career.
Nyna
Dec 04, 2013 Nyna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Life on Earth is an incredibly dull information book for children. If I were to give them a textbook, this would be one of them. It is clever in how it presents the information to students, and the pictures are accurate, even if they aren’t real images. I think this book would be better presented with another book. I would pick a book on Darwin, or another evolutionary book of sorts; assuming I was talking about content. If I was looking at pictures, I might use a “What do you see?” book. I thin ...more
Jackie
A short, concise history of the evolution of living things that inhabit the Earth. Theories and facts are also included which highlight some work by Charles Darwin and his theory about survival of the fittest and evolution.

Includes a timeline which is represented by a 24 hour day.
Nativida
I'm a big fan of Steve Jenkins work and this is a timely read, as we're watching Neil deGrasse Tyson's "Cosmos".
Alicia
Jul 13, 2010 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, science
I loved the information in this book about evolution. It was very straight forward with the basics and a great introduction to a topic. The artwork was very nice, but I didn't feel like it was appropriate for the book. The artwork was collage, and very beautiful, but it didn't seem to fit with a scientific themed book. It seems like it would have been more accurate to use computer generated "photographs." Or maybe they used the collage because we don't really know what some of those things reall ...more
Amy
Jan 04, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great illustrations, as always. Great timeline. Not overwhelming.
Jun 21, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Illustrated timeline from first life on Earth to now. Explains adaptations, natural selection, mutations, variations, development of new species, and extinction. Great timeline in the back shows what the history of life on Earth would look like in a 24 hour day.

6th Grade New Mexico Science Standards:
Strand II. Standard II. 5-8 Benchmark I. 2
Strand II. Standard II. 5-8 Benchmark I. 3
Strand II. Standard II. 5-8 Benchmark II. 1
Strand II. Standard II. 5-8 Benchmark II. 2

* Available at Albuquerque/Be
Abby Johnson
Nov 08, 2009 Abby Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenkins provides an excellent overview of evolution and the development of life on earth, complete with his always awesome cut paper collage illustrations. He includes information on the beginning of life on earth, the various animals that appeared over the past 4.5 billion years, the theory of evolution (including how Darwin and others developed it), and variation and mutation. This would be a great place for elementary school children to start learning about evolution.
Dani Paiz
Nov 04, 2013 Dani Paiz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
The illustrations in this book were very unique. They used cut up pieces of paper for the plants and animals. This book was fairly comprehensive. It discusses the theory of evolution starting with the beginning of life all the way through to the present day. There is a section that also discusses Darwin, his life, and scientific contributions. I would recommend this book for children 6 and up, especially those that have an interest in science.
Jen
Jun 17, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pb
While I don't necessarily agree with some of the speculation or some of the numbers in this book, this is a great introduction for kids to the idea of evolution. I like how it presents a clear picture of natural selection and variation and mutation. The illustrations in this book are on the better end of Jenkins' abilities.
Michelle Wyatt
Apr 25, 2011 Michelle Wyatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: t-l-306
I LOVE THIS BOOK! i used it in a 7th grade science class when we were discussing evolution. The book explains very elegantly the theory of evolution without swaying very religiously, or too scientifically. All the kids loved the illustrations, and it clarified some key concepts for them. A++
Janice
Oct 11, 2012 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-non-fiction
Like the art in this one. Sort of picture of paper cutouts. Started as simple picture book story and later became book for older kids about evolution. Touches on Darwin and the Galapagos. Easy to understand. Fun pictures.
Cindi
An EXCELLENT primer for kids about the principles of evolution. The principles are explained simply and illustrated in an interesting way to catch their interest.
Dee
Jul 13, 2009 Dee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it with Peter Sis's Darwin and Animals Darwin saw by Sandra Markle for a through young person's look at evolution and the great Darwin.
Tess W
Apr 12, 2016 Tess W rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent children's book on evolution to help explain life and our origins.
jacky
Mar 10, 2016 jacky marked it as to-read-for-n-and-w  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lib-lew
Y 576.8 J52L
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Varsha
Varsha added it
Jun 03, 2016
Mariya
Mariya rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Sandy Shen
Sandy Shen marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Deana
Deana marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Sae
Sae rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016