Start by marking “A Seduction in Scarlet” as Want to Read:
A Seduction in Scarlet

A Seduction in Scarlet (Aphrodite's Club #1)

3.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  206 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
One wicked night . . .

Lady Portia Ellerslie, dearest confidante to Queen Victoria and a woman of impeccable breeding, normally wouldn't dream of dallying in Aphrodite's Club, London's most exclusive and erotic bordello. But one lonely night she finds something enticing about the idea of a wild encounter in the notorious hothouse. Donning a daring, dangerously low-cut scarl
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Seduction in Scarlet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Seduction in Scarlet

Kim
Apr 02, 2009 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the hero and heroine in this, but I never quite managed to understand why the conflict was...well, a conflict.
Angelc
This book was pretty good, I liked the hero a lot, but the plot was only ok. Marcus was very sweet and didn't hide the fact that he was in love with Portia, unlike the typical rake found in a lot of historical romances. I found myself skimming a lot of the murder plot portions of the book. I would have liked it if she made more of the fact that she was infatuated with him from afar when they were younger. Overall good read!
Draven
Jul 16, 2013 Draven rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring. Oh so boring. For two people having an illicit, scandalous affair, they sure lacked the requisite heat. Codependent and simpering, it had everything I hate in a romance novel, not to mention all the liberties Bennett took with historical fact regarding Queen Victoria. Did not enjoy a single aspect of Portia and Marcus' story. This is a bottom of the sale bin book for me.
Yolanda
Sep 22, 2011 Yolanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2011
What can I say. It's a romance book that starts off in a brothel where the main characters are getting it on. Which basically sets the tone of the book. You can't go wrong with that in my opinion.
Sara
Jun 29, 2016 Sara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF at page 110. "I'm not going to stop you, Marcus. Stopping you is NOT what I want to do." Bad dialogue and an odd premise wrecked this one for me. The heroine is the widow of a much older war hero, and supposedly Queen Victoria wants her to be a model for the nation regarding mourning. This is prior to Prince Albert's death, by the way. The hero is... I'm not sure who he actually is, other than too wealthy to worry about anything and too arrogant to live. "With her veil and her mystery, he'd ...more
Diana
Jul 31, 2010 Diana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Horrible. Just bad. The plot was thin and overwrought. Skimmed through all of it. I'm surprised I didn't throw this against the wall.
Elisia Crawford
Feb 09, 2015 Elisia Crawford rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was such a let down... I disliked so much about this book its hard to know where to start. It was slow, boring, and ultimately I didn't really like either main character. The author tried creating a reason why these 2 couldn't be together that I just couldn't get on board with....
Evelyn Rivera
The story line had a slow started for me. The plot was all over the place and there was never a real end with the plot. Portia and Marcus story within the book was okay their story did had a beging and end but ther rest was just to water down for me.
Karine
A easy romance read set in a beautiful location and time in history. The main characters were pleasant, despite everything that was happening to them. Life never seems easy, and matters of the heart always make in more complicated than it really is.
Paula
Sep 25, 2008 Paula rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Paula by: Michelle
Shelves: 2008-reads
too damn predictable, that was the problem. All three books followed a similar plot line and convenintly the heros turned out to be titled. Hello, take a leaf from Ms Heyer - a true gentleman is sometimes just that.
Breanne
No one should be surprised by the cliches and predictable plot. Compared to other books, this should probably be two-stars, but set within the context of romance, it was enjoyable enough.
Serahae
Ugh. You can play a drinking game with the phrase 'angel in widow's weeds,' and Portia and Marcus...Oy. Finished this one out of spite.
Pamela(AllHoney)
Didn't work for me. I'm not fond of this plot-line but I was willing to give it a try.
Kara
Jan 11, 2013 Kara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-novel

Can't believe I'm saying this buuuuuuuut the book needed LESS plot.
Jenny
Feb 06, 2013 Jenny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't get over thinking Marcus was kind of a jerk.
Kassie
Feb 20, 2010 Kassie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the characters and enjoyed the storyline.
Mary Vilarino
Dull, slow going not a book I really enjoyed
Elaine Mcdonald
Not impressed with this author.
Sec2000
Pamela
Jan 15, 2012 Pamela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rated 3.5
Jess H
Jess H marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Chezza Destriza
Chezza Destriza marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Jemimahmorta
Jemimahmorta rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Buzz
Buzz rated it did not like it
Jun 20, 2016
Leonell Arboso
Leonell Arboso marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 14, 2015 12:57PM
  • Marry the Man Today (Gentlemen Rogues, #3)
  • Tempting a Proper Lady (Brides of Nevarton Chase, #1)
  • The Governess Wears Scarlet
  • His Cavalry Lady
  • The Duchess Diaries
  • Wicked Fantasy (Paradise, #3)
  • Seduced by Sin
  • Passion and Pleasure in London (Charmed and Dangerous, #3)
  • Lord of Pleasure (School of Gallantry #2)
  • To Catch A Countess (Douglas Trilogy, #3)
  • Brazen Temptress (Brazen, #3)
  • For Your Arms Only (The Bow St. Agents: Spies in Love, #2)
  • Miracle (Hawthorne, #1)
  • Stroke of Genius
  • Almost a Bride (Almost, #2)
  • Lady in Red (Talisman Ring, #5)
  • A Notorious Proposition (Winter Garden #3)
  • The Kiss (Widows Club, #2)
194051
Also writing paranormal as Sara Mackenzie, Mills & Boon as Deborah Miles and for a number of Australian publishers as Lilly Sommers.
More about Sara Bennett...

Aphrodite's Club (2 books)
  • Her Secret Lover (Aphrodite's Club, #2)