Start by marking “Steam-Powered 2: More Lesbian Steampunk Stories” as Want to Read:
Steam-Powered 2: More Lesbian Steampunk Stories

Steam-Powered 2: More Lesbian Steampunk Stories (Steam-Powered #2)

These fifteen thrilling and ingenious tales take the familiar genre of steampunk in exciting new directions, following women from across the globe and through pasts that never were (but could have been) on their search for money, adventure, prestige, freedom--and the love of another woman. Here you'll meet a Moroccan airship engineer and an English diplomat who receive a c ...more
Paperback, First, 438 pages
Published October 26th 2011 by Torquere Press (first published September 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Steam-Powered 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steam-Powered 2

Oreotalpa
Nov 03, 2011 Oreotalpa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Crowinator
Update 2/22/12: I finally finished all of the stories in this volume, so I'll update my review asap with my thoughts on the rest of them.

I haven’t read the first volume in this series of steampunk lesbian tales, but I intend to look for it as soon as I’ve finished this one so that I can compare. I plan on updating my review as I read the stories, rather than wait until I’ve finished the whole thing. As of December 31, I’ve read five out of 15 stories.

So far, the stories in this book are notable
Lindsey Thompson
Mar 14, 2012 Lindsey Thompson rated it really liked it
I won a copy of this book from the giveaways on Goodreads. I wasn't sure at first what to think about winning it and I was skeptical about how good it would be because I sort of hate romance stories. However, I'm the type of person that if a book is stuck in front of my face, I'm going to give it a shot. Also, I thought, this book was supposed to be lesbian romance and, therefore, not likely to be typical romance.

I was VERY pleasantly surprised. While there are elements of romance (in varying de
Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie
This review is copied from my book review blog, The Towering Pile. Original review: http://thetoweringpile.blogspot.com/2...

First off, let me just say that it is so amazing to read 400 pages of steampunk with no male main characters. That alone makes this book worth reading for anyone who's feeling a little under-represented in the genre. Similarly, the stories take place all over the world, not just in Victorian England, so there's a lot more cultural diversity than is typical. Yay!

As for the i
branewurms
ARC from Alex.

Finished! This was a solid collection, and in many ways seemed more professional than the previous installment, but overall it lacked some of the... idk, the exuberance of the previous and didn't fill me with the same level of squeeful feelings.

There were exceptions, of course - I loved Zen Cho's bittersweet vision of the afterlife with automatons in Terracotta Bride and Alex Dally MacFarlane's story of a young Turkish woman's dilemma as she realizes she has no interest in marriag
Ayse
May 25, 2014 Ayse is currently reading it
The first story Journey's End by Elizabeth Porter Birdsall! Amazing! it totally left me wanting to read more about the universe, the ship, and the passengers! I hope the author has more planned. I also liked Playing Chess in New Persopolis. Grenada's library was another delightful story -- very profound and quiet. The wonder and sanctity of books. The last lines were especially great. I am really enjoying that there is a diversity of people and places -- not the typical white European-like peopl ...more
Wolverina
Jul 03, 2012 Wolverina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books, on-kobo
An interesting anthology, if a little uneven. Some stories are five stars worth, others one or two. Some the effects of a changing steampunk society on lesbian relationship were explored, others the lesbian relationship seemed tokenistic, a chance to get a story in a more unusual book.

To be fair though, I did have a good friend "edit" the ebook so I could avoid the uncomfortable associations had with one of the writers in particular. While I would not have otherwise read the book, I can't guaran
Ercsi91
Aug 27, 2012 Ercsi91 rated it it was ok
I should say that I love steampunk cause well its sci-fi and its awesome.
Some stories which this book contained really had some descriptions which I loved, the details, the world how it is written was awesome. But the characters in many ways just couldn't catch me...don't know why...there was only one.
In the Playing Chess in New Persepolis by Sean Holland-probably cause I too love to play this game..and the character were very fit for the whole story and atmoshpere...
Andrea
May 23, 2013 Andrea rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, shorts, steampunk
Worth reading. The stories are very uneven in terms of quality but make up for it, overall, by pushing the boundaries of the genre and going well beyond mainstream steampunk (steam, copper, victorian england).
Aleksandr Voinov
Nov 13, 2013 Aleksandr Voinov marked it as other
Shelves: genre-ff
Huge fan of Tuomala's, so very curious about this. Hope to pick it up once I have a moment's breath.
Snott
Snott rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2012
Meg Jayanth
Meg Jayanth rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2014
Sonj
Oct 26, 2011 Sonj marked it as to-read
Oh Hell Yes!
Gillian Daniels
Gillian Daniels rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Mely
ARC from Zen.
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Louise Walsh
Nov 15, 2012 Louise Walsh rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Great book, would recommend this book to others.

*Won on GoodReads First Reads*
Tnya
Tnya rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2014
Dyl
Dyl rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
Rae Yung
Rae Yung rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2014
Aliette
Aliette rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2013
Izilen
Some stories great, some stories not so great! Overall, yes good I would like more of this.
agentleavens
agentleavens rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2012
Harper
Harper rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2011
Zola
Zola rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Abby
Abby rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2013
Heather Henkel
Heather Henkel rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2015
Sophie
Sophie rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2012
Laura rated it liked it
May 01, 2014
Georgia
Georgia rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2015
  • Bending the Landscape: Fantasy
  • The Dark Victorian: Risen Volume One
  • Clockwork Phoenix: More Tales of Beauty and Strangeness (Clockwork Phoenix, #2)
  • The Future is Japanese: Science Fiction Futures and Brand New Fantasies from and about Japan.
  • Aliens: Recent Encounters
  • Steampunk'd
  • Mojo: Conjure Stories
  • Disturbed by Her Song
  • The Ant King: And Other Stories
  • The Kappa Child
  • Beyond Binary: Genderqueer and Sexually Fluid Speculative Fiction
  • Filter House
  • Human Nature (Pax Britannia, #3)
  • Promises, Promises
  • The Mammoth Book of Steampunk
  • Three Messages and a Warning: Contemporary Mexican Short Stories of the Fantastic
  • So Fey: Queer Fairy Fiction
  • Steampunk III: Steampunk Revolution
A dramaturg and something of a lapsed playwright, Vanderhooft works as a freelance journalist, poet and fiction writer. Her work has appeared or will soon appear in print and online in such venues as Aofie’s Kiss, Byzarium, Cabinet des Fées, Jabberwocky, Not One of Us, MYTHIC, Mythic Delirium, Reflections Edge, Star*Line and several others.

To date, she has published seven poetry books: 10,000 Seve
More about JoSelle Vanderhooft...

Steam-Powered (2 books)