Start by marking “Stepping Forth Into the World: The Chinese Educational Mission to the United States, 1872-81” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  3 Ratings  ·  2 Reviews
The book contrasts the experiences of the Chinese Educational Mission students with those of other Chinese in the United States during a period of anti-Chinese sentiment, which was to culminate in the enactment of Chinese Exclusion in 1882.
Published March 8th 2011 by Hong Kong University Press

To ask other readers questions about Stepping Forth Into the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stepping Forth Into the World

Tess
Oct 25, 2011 Tess rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent, though may not be for the average reader who does not have a strong interest in the subject. For me it was amazing, as I am a bookseller who wound up with an autograph book from the 1880's filled with photos of both Caucasian and Chinese kids, all from New England. After much research I narrowed its origin down to the Chinese Educational Mission, then sold it to a collector who is friends with the author.

I quickly bought the book and was able to get enough info from that
Barbara
Oct 03, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it
About the Chinese Educational Mission - nine of the students from China came to Exeter, NH to attend Phillips Exeter Academy. I was loaned this book by the PEA library and quite enjoyed it. The boys attended schools in the US to learn military technology, but instead mostly absorbed baseball. Their reintroduction in Chinese life after the recall was difficult, I'm glad they at least had a positive experience here in Exeter. How could they not?
Gwyneth
Gwyneth rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2014
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2013
Chow
Chow is currently reading it
Mar 31, 2014
Binmuxin
Binmuxin marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Keenan Manning
Keenan Manning marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Zhijun Ren
Zhijun Ren marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
ZoeYe
ZoeYe marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Lynne
Lynne marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Yang
Yang marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016