Start by marking “I Had to Say Something: The Art of Ted Haggard's Fall” as Want to Read:
I Had to Say Something: The Art of Ted Haggard's Fall

I Had to Say Something: The Art of Ted Haggard's Fall

This is the story of the sexual relationship between Michael Forest Jones, a Denver man who worked as an escort, and the Reverend Ted Haggard, founder and pastor of the New Life Church of Colorado Springs.
As a rule, Mike never delved into the personal lives of his clients. He entertained celebrities, clergyman, politicians, pro-football players, and just regular guys. In 2
Published June 5th 2007 by Seven Stories Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about I Had to Say Something, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Had to Say Something

Mediaman
Nov 30, 2013 Mediaman rated it it was amazing
This is a "can't put down" book that is so well written and filled with amazing stories that in the end it leaves you wanting more. It's a blow-by-blow description (sorry for the pun) of the author's relationship with Ted Haggard. It's as descriptive as it should be without getting too detailed. And it unveils the hypocrisy within the church as Jones says that 10% of his customers were church leaders, even detailing his servicing of Catholic priests. It's a must-read for every Christian that can ...more
Bryan
May 13, 2010 Bryan rated it did not like it
I picked this book up in the midst of the George Reekers scandal - curious about the "Christian leader hires male prostitute" trend we seem to be seeing. This book is exactly what you would expect from someone capitolizing on the 15 minutes of fame he gained by blowing the whistle on an influential religious and political leader.

It's terrible.

Reading this book is like reading a pre-teen's diary. It's inconsistent and self-serving. Overly dramatic. Whiny.

I don't doubt the truth in what Jones say
JOSEPH OLIVER
May 10, 2014 JOSEPH OLIVER rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay, autobiography
I had only vaguely heard of this ‘scandal’ shortly after it became public but I didn’t follow it at the time. I like religious scandals at the best of times as it brings out the hypocrisy of the ‘pastors’ and the gullibility of the sheeple who want to believe regardless of the facts. I had the opportunity to read this and wasn’t expecting too much from it. In my filtered version of this scandal all I had were ‘pastor’ ‘ rent boy’ ‘hotel rooms’ ‘sleaze’. None of it was really true at all.

None of
Ken Yliniemi
Jan 19, 2016 Ken Yliniemi rated it liked it
Mike Jones was the escort from Denver who exposed the hypocritical life of the Reverend Ted Haggard. This memoir is a very detailed account of the interaction the two men had, in great length. It goes far beyond any TV News Report, or Newspaper article. I enjoyed the read very much for the insight it gave. It was also very interesting seeing the life of an escort/masseur from the inside. It is a very engrossing read, but reminded me a bit of reading a celebrity rag in some ways.
Bookfanatic
Sep 01, 2013 Bookfanatic rated it liked it
Interesting account of famed Christian leader Ted Haggard's hypocrisy and fall from grace. Mike Jones, a gay male escort, gives his side of the story. For about two and a half years, Ted (calling himself "Art from Kansas") sought the sexual services of Mike Jones. The book isn't very graphic in my opinion. There are references to sex toys and sex acts that Ted liked, but not anything very descriptive. This was a quick read. I finished it in two days.
Kyle
Jul 06, 2007 Kyle rated it liked it
Recommends it for: gays
I sat in the Barnes & Noble cafe in Chelsea for four hours the other day and read this cover-to-cover. Mike Jones is totally guileless and almost impossible not to like. His ghostwriter did a fantastic job. Moving interwoven story regarding the death of Mrs. Jones from cancer.
Paul
Jan 04, 2009 Paul rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Mike Jones is a great American and an American hero.

There's definitely facsinating stuff about Ted Haggard, clearly a tormented guy. But I was surprised to be touched (in a non-sexual way) by Mike Jones's bio, his relationship with his mother and several of his clients.

Quick read.
Jenny
Jun 12, 2007 Jenny marked it as to-read
F-YOU TIM HAGGARD!!!! HAHAHAHA i can't wait to read this.
Kristina
Oct 10, 2007 Kristina added it
Shelves: read-for-work
I read this for work...
Ronn Lewis
Aug 25, 2007 Ronn Lewis rated it liked it

I enjoyed this. Good to finally hear the full story the way he wanted it told. Not sure I would have gone about it the same way but then who knows.
Patti
Apr 19, 2010 Patti rated it it was ok
Interesting...but just ok.
Mont
Jul 31, 2008 Mont rated it liked it
Interesting. Felt the author was a little full of himself. He does do a good job of sharing the lifestyle of the married man who is looking for more.
Johanna
Oct 11, 2007 Johanna rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
I learned that you too can have an illicit affair with a major religious figure in the community and still enjoy the comforts of The Village Inn.
Vicki
Vicki rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2008
Nicholas Carroll
Nicholas Carroll rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2007
Shawn
Shawn rated it it was ok
Oct 20, 2016
Gary F
Gary F rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2010
Pat
Pat rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2014
Bobbie
Bobbie rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2014
Broadsnark
Broadsnark rated it liked it
May 24, 2015
Lola
Lola rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2009
Chris Rosendall
Chris Rosendall rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2014
Tim
Tim rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2014
Tony
Tony rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2014
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2012
Frances Ellen
Frances Ellen rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2012
Kurt Janssen
Kurt Janssen rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2012
Sam
Sam rated it did not like it
Mar 14, 2013
Iain Croll
Iain Croll rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2012
Nick
Nick rated it did not like it
Sep 04, 2012