Start by marking “Born to be Riled” as Want to Read:
Born to be Riled

Born to be Riled

Born to be Riled is a collection of hilarious vintage journalism from Jeremy Clarkson. Jeremy Clarkson, it has to be said, sometimes finds the world a maddening place. And nowhere more so than from behind the wheel of a car, where you can see any number of people acting like lunatics while in control (or not) of a ton of metal. In this collection of classic columns, first ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Penguin UK (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Born to be Riled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born to be Riled

Shawna
Mar 16, 2010 Shawna rated it it was ok
Jeremy Clarkson is a co-host of the car show Top Gear, so it's no surprise that this book is all about cars, roads, and driving. He has a great sense of humor and parts of it are funny, but all the car details just go right over my head.
Sourav Dutta
Mar 23, 2012 Sourav Dutta rated it really liked it
I've been a fan of Jeremy Clarkson since I saw my first episode of Top Gear some years back. I've read a few of his books since, and have absolutely loved every page. Born to be Riled is essentially a collection of Sunday newspaper articles written by Clarkson. Every single one of them is essentially the review of a car but they end up being so much more.
This book will earn you a few strange looks from those in the vicinity as you will undoubtedly break down into fits of giggling from time to t
Beverly Gardner
May 17, 2014 Beverly Gardner rated it really liked it
A compilation of his columns from The Sunday Times, and a wicked observation on just about everything. Love this mans critical eye and acerbic wit. Particularly the four stages of man;- Buying washing up bowls, Tuning the car radio to radio 2, The School Run, and finally, Gardening. How true.
Alicia Mikolajczyk
May 25, 2016 Alicia Mikolajczyk rated it it was amazing
Hilariously funny - for every motor fan - is a must lecture and for non-motorist - it's still great deal of humour:)
Jeremy has a talent for good story telling. Highly recommended. I literally LMAO :))
Lee Belbin
Nov 30, 2014 Lee Belbin rated it really liked it
Total over-the top-humour about cars and other things. I even agree with him on a fw points. Just a few! Coincidental I finished this on April Fool's Day!
Shari
Jun 30, 2014 Shari rated it it was ok
Funny in parts but gee he is a whinger.
Fi
Aug 19, 2014 Fi rated it it was amazing
Hilarious
Rupak Banerjee
Feb 05, 2014 Rupak Banerjee rated it really liked it
The book is a compilation of his weekly articles. This is before the era of the new BBC Top Gear. But that does not mean Clarkson is any less shrewd. He tears into manufacturers. But even more than that, his target falls on society and the British govt. Ideal for light reading and simply enjoying. No serious content. Enjoyed reading it thoroughly.
Ben Gillam
Feb 05, 2013 Ben Gillam rated it really liked it
Despite being quite an old book now this is another great example of Clarkson's controversial and as a result hilariously funny wit. Not for everyone I know and he has his enemies but if you are in any way a fan I think you'll enjoy this book. Missed out on 5 stars only because it felt a little bit long.
Nada  Abandah
I was expecting a good read, fun & informative or interesting! But actually, it was a bit boring, he talks about things from a prespective that makes you question why did you like a person with that dark and twisted psyche. Never finished it.
Henri Moreaux
Jan 18, 2013 Henri Moreaux rated it liked it
Shelves: humour, non-fiction
Started off good, few hearty laughs but became a little repetitious by the last quarter.

That's not to say it is poorly written, the articles on their own are good, but condensed together is when the problem arose.
Nick Bond
Oct 13, 2014 Nick Bond rated it liked it
Brilliantly written. One of the few books I've literally laughed out loud to. On the other hand, very dull when taken by itself; it's like cabbage- good for you though only to accompany other mains :)
Tom Elliott
Nov 18, 2013 Tom Elliott rated it it was amazing
Some of the articles are dated by their focus on politicians, policies and issues of the era (mid-90s) but most is still interesting at the very least and the car stuff is pretty timeless. An excellent read.
Marzena
God, I do love the wicked sense of humour that Clarkson serves every time he writes. No one else can make up the weirdest comparison in the universe and make it work!
Annie
Jun 08, 2010 Annie rated it liked it
Brilliantly Clarkson, as usual. Unfortunately, repeatedly reading about bus lanes is, I imagine, rather akin to sitting in heavy traffic looking at them. . .
Kristina
Mar 29, 2016 Kristina rated it liked it
Shelves: top-gear
These were all written before 'new' Top Gear started and it's interesting to see how his opinions may have changed over the years.
Martin
Jan 11, 2013 Martin rated it liked it
Inly found out book was published in about 2000 after I started reading t so the car reviews was woefully out of date
Whisper19
Apr 17, 2013 Whisper19 rated it really liked it
"The only way someone can raise enough money to have a garage in London is by becoming a rent boy."
Lindsay
May 28, 2010 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Shelves: autobiography, z2010
Very amusing read. Great for while on holiday and had me giggling out loud at points.
B.B. Scott
Oct 20, 2012 B.B. Scott rated it liked it
Funny, but if you've read some of his other books, you might find it a little repetitive.
Teisha Buick
Mar 13, 2013 Teisha Buick rated it liked it
not as funny as the world according to clarkson, but still rather amusing.
Nabilah
Sep 14, 2012 Nabilah rated it really liked it
Decent book but only people who like Top Gear should read it.
Janet Holmes ashman
Dec 30, 2012 Janet Holmes ashman rated it did not like it
I am a fan of JC but his books a bloody hard work :(
D.
Oct 02, 2009 D. added it
Born to Be Riled by Jeremy Clarkson (2007)
Paul Francevs
Aug 07, 2012 Paul Francevs rated it really liked it
Clarkson is brilliant and so english.
Elliot V
May 07, 2010 Elliot V rated it liked it
simmilar to the rest
Connor
Apr 14, 2016 Connor added it
good
Marco Kellerman
Marco Kellerman rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Rory
Rory marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
  • Notes from the Hard Shoulder
  • Or Is That Just Me?
  • Where Have All the Bullets Gone?  (War Memoirs, #5)
  • This Is Not A Drill: Just Another Glorious Day In The Oilfield
  • Bearded Tit
  • Advanced Banter: The QI Book of Quotations
  • Billy Connolly's Route 66
  • Cabin Pressure (Cabin Pressure, #1)
  • The World's Greatest Mistakes
  • Thanksgiving
  • No Angel: The Secret Life of Bernie Ecclestone
  • Spoken From The Front: Real Voices From the Battlefields of Afghanistan
  • Perfect Lives
  • The Masque of Africa: Glimpses of African Belief
  • I'm Not Hanging Noodles on Your Ears and Other Intriguing Idioms From Around the World
  • Spiderweb
  • The Chariot Makers: Assembling the Perfect Formula 1 Car
Jeremy Charles Robert Clarkson (born April 11, 1960) is an English broadcaster and writer who specialises in motoring.

He writes weekly columns for The Sunday Times and The Sun, but is better known for his role on the BBC television programme Top Gear.

From a career as a local journalist in the north of England, he rose to public prominence as a presenter of the original format of Top Gear in 1988.
More about Jeremy Clarkson...