Start by marking “About My Sisters” as Want to Read:
About My Sisters

About My Sisters

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  31 reviews
On the heels of her poignant and critically acclaimed memoirs, Waiting and Raising Blaze, Debra Ginsberg explores the unique connection she shares with her three sisters.

In About My Sisters, Ginsberg examines the special bond she shares with her three sisters, May, Lavander and Deja. As her hippie parents criss-crossed the globe, Debra, the oldest of five children, formed
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about About My Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about About My Sisters

Eileen
Unsure where this book came from, too, but it was a perfect read last weekend when I was at the Cape. This book is about sisterhood and I am lucky to have two sisters (and one brother too); the story in the book tells about family events with four sisters and a brother. What was also amazing was that the age differences were up to fifteen years! I did not realize the book was nonfiction and a memoir until I poked around on the web for other books by the author. Anyway, she shares her family life ...more
Lena
Ginsberg's fluid, intimate writing style turns everyday life into art as she explores the complex relationships between herself and her three sisters over the course of one year. Since the world of large, mostly happy family is one I'm not familiar with, it was fascinating to be able to spend some time with Ginsberg and her quirky, entertaining relatives.
Wfbcreeds
In About My Sisters, Ginsberg examines the special bond she shares with her three sisters, May, Lavander and Deja. As her hippie parents criss–crossed the globe, Debra, the oldest of five children, formed indelible bonds with her three sisters that last to this day. Separated by fifteen years among them, Debra and her sisters re
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
"No one will ever love you like your
family!" my mother would scream at me,
when I was a little girl, and, secretly,
I'd think, How ridiculous. Now, at 47,
I know the truth of her words and would
add, as a cautionary note, "...and no
one will ever drive you as nuts as
your family."

Ginsberg, then, takes on a big subject
in About My Sisters: family relationships.
Despite the title, she actually looks at
the complex world of both her family of
origin (the sisters of the title, a
brother, a mom an
Michele
The Best Kind of Memoir. Well done
About My Sisters deserves my highest recommendation. It is well written, funny, insightful and truthful. Mostly, however, it is relatable. Anyone with sisters--make that siblings--will relate to the feelings expressed and the stories told by this gifted author. While her focus is on the relationship(s) between four sisters who have a fifteen-year age spread, it is also about their sole brother, their unique parents and the author's son. It reads a lot like a no
Tracy
Apr 28, 2008 Tracy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my sister, my friend Jacquie Byrne
If you have sisters, this is a must read. If you have more that one sister, it is even better. This book had some great insights into how each sister fits into the family. There is an oldest, a couple middles, a baby, one boy, lots of boyfriends and two parents. I loved how the author showed how different each relationship was between parents, between eachother, between nephews, between the lone brother etc. Where do you fit into your family?

The most interesting part is how different each girl w
Kathy
Not having any siblings at all, I was curious to read a book about the relationships of four sisters. This one was delightful and revealing--while reading it there were times when I felt truly deprived by not having sisters and other times when I was tremendously relieved not to have them! I am close with two cousins and I can understand that there is nothing like a bond between people in the same family--it simply can't be shared with anyone outside the family. The author conveys this beautiful ...more
Saskia Marijke Niehorster-Cook
This is an ode to sisterhood, full in detail and love even when the love is tested. It is the story of a family that lived together through all the craziness and remains close to date, something not everyone survives, and yet the love and dedication of the parents is something that unified the children and kept them close. It is something I have hoped to accomplish with my children and having read this gives me hope that indeed it can really happen. I look forward to reading her other books as w ...more
Samantha
I was hoping I would enjoy this book(having three sisters, I thought I would be able to relate to it). But I didn't care for the writing style and it was really hard to continue reading. It seems like just a collection of interactions with her family, which are not unique or entertaining, and I never really care enough about stories to want to continue reading. I've been "reading" it for almost 3 weeks and I'm only 60 pages in. I think it's time to give up.
Maggie Wiggins
I enjoyed this title a lot more than Ginsberg's other work. I couldn't say it was any more relatable (I'm an only child) but the prose was more accessable somehow. It's an interesting look into the complex relationships sisters can have, but not having a sister did make me feel like maybe I was missing something while reading this.

Readalikes: Yaya books by Rebecca Wells, The Sweet Potato Queens series by Jill Conner Browne
Chelsea
This book was just OK. I wish I had three sisters like the author of this book. But I just have one and she is the best one I could have ever asked for. It is true that you share a special bond that you can never share with just friends. Sisters are there for you in time of the good, the bad and the ugly. I sure have been reading a lot of these memoirs as of late. Time to read something different!!
Nicole
This was okay. Easy to pick up and put down between shifts at work and switching trains, but nothing that really held my attention. I wasn't wondering what the people in the book were up to when I wasn't reading... and that is typically what I look for when I rate books as 4 or 5 stars. This was a good read, and it made me think of my own relationship with my siblings.
Beth G.
(from my old Book Log)

Ginsberg has established something of a niche for herself as a memoir writer, though I haven't read her previous two books. As the eldest of three girls, I recognize the special sister dynamic at the center of this book. Ginsberg focuses on the small dramas that come up over the course of a year in the life of one family.
Kristy
I really liked this book. I'm one of three sisters myself so I enjoy reading about sisters, real or fictional. This is just one of Debra Ginsberg's memoirs that she has written. This takes place in one year of her life & is all about her relationships with her three sisters. Plus she also writes about her parents, her brother & her son.
Marie
Four sisters and one brother - all have different kinds of relationships with each other. This was a light read but explored the different roles siblings play with one another. That's the heart of this book along with the relationships of the son of the main character with his aunts. No real plot, just a story about family dynamics.
Sally
I read this book because I liked the way the author wrote in her other book about raising her son. I did not enjoy this book as much; I'm not sure why. Relationships are messy, and I do appreciate her honesty about how she and her siblings interact with each other. It made me wish my family was as close as their family....
Michelle
Ginsberg's depiction of the bonds and struggles she shares with her sisters is something I could deeply relate to. Loved the warm and beautiful stories of this family. Certainly a book anybody that has sisters or a quirky family can enjoy.
!!!!!
I put it down after the second chapter. I didn't like the writing style or any of the characters and just couldn't stay with it. Too bad as I was stoked to read about sisters since I have four of them myself.
Joanne
Another memoir by Debra Ginsberg this time "about her sisters." Enjoyable read. Not bad, not great but still worth reading. Going to take a break from her and then maybe read her novels some day.
Teri
Apr 25, 2009 Teri marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I went to a panel discussion this author participated in at the 2009 LA Times Festival of Books. I enjoy memoirs and am eager to read this one about familial ties. The author signed my book.
Lorraine
Four sisters, distinctly individualist, fiercely loyal to each other. I relate similarly to my two sisters, though we are nowhere near as volatile as the Ginsberg girls. Really enjoyed this book.
Carol
A good read. I thought about my relationship with my sisters all the way through the book. Ginsberg didn't display much comedy in her book which would have improved the story but I enjoyed it.
msleighm
As an only child, this book was an illuminating look at the close-knit world of siblings. I know a couple of families who remind me of this one and it helps me to better understand their dynamics.
Maureen
I loved this book. It is about the writer's relationship with her three sisters. I have three sisters of my own so I could really relate. This book read like you didn't want it to end.
The first few chapters were good but then it got SO.BORING. I could barely make it through. If I could put books down without finishing them, I would have here. Thank God it's done.
Martha
boring really....indulgent, pedestrian....who cares what the family argued about on Christmas day when it's just another in a string of insignificant happenings.....yawn..
Sue Jellum
I didn't really relate to the relationships described in this book (lucky for me!) and it didn't really seem to be worthy of writing a book about - plotless.
I enjoyed Waitress more. This book was a series of anecdotes about the author's sisters, which was pleasant, but a little disjointed.
Michelle
real life story of the interactions between 4 sisters
Claudia D'Arcangelo
Didn't care for this one... didn't finish it.
  • Stuffed: Adventures of a Restaurant Family
  • White House Nannies
  • Just Like Family: Inside the Lives of Nannies, the Parents They Work for, and the Children They Love
  • Early Bird: A Memoir of Premature Retirement
  • Beautiful Bodies: A Novel
  • North of Ithaka: A Granddaughter Returns to Greece and Discovers Her Roots
  • Quality of Care
  • Give It Up!
  • The Immigrant Advantage: What We Can Learn from Newcomers to America about Health, Happiness and Hope
  • Girl with Glasses: My Optic History
  • The Scent of God: A Memoir
  • The Worst Day of My Life, So Far
  • This Body: A Novel of Reincarnation
  • Bollywood Nights
  • Stuntman!: My Car-Crashing, Plane-Jumping, Bone-Breaking, Death-Defying Hollywood Life
  • Tattoo Machine: Tall Tales, True Stories, and My Life in Ink
  • American Pie: Slices of Life (and Pie) from America's Back Roads
  • The Wishing Jar
Debra M. Ginsberg is a London born, American author. She is the author of three memoirs as well as two novels. Her first memoir Waiting: The True Confessions of a Waitress was published by HarperCollins Publishers in 2000, followed by Raising Blaze: A Mother and Son's Long, Strange Journey Into Autism, which chronicled her longtime struggle to get her son the education he was entitled to.

Find Debr
More about Debra Ginsberg...
Waiting: The True Confessions of a Waitress The Grift Blind Submission The Neighbors Are Watching Raising Blaze: Bringing Up an Extraordinary Son in an Ordinary World