Start by marking “The Cat Who Came in from the Cold” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Cat Who Came in fr...

Deric Longden

The Cat Who Came in from the Cold

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  467 ratings  ·  65 reviews
The little cat Deric Longden saw sitting forlornly on an upturned bucket belonged to the neighbours, but somehow when it began to rain it seemed only natural to bring him inside. Once there he slipped so easily into Deric and Aileen's lives that there was an unspoken agreement that he had found his real home. Little did he know that he had entered the Longden world, in whi ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 297 pages
Published May 28th 1993 by Magna Large Print Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Who Came in from the Cold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Who Came in from the Cold

Charlie
The heartwarming story of a kitten called Thermal and his pet sultana Ralph. This is my all time favourite animal story book (with the possible exception of Black Beauty). I have read it several times and will probably read it several times more.

Thermal is a white kitten that Longden sees sitting, bedraggled, in the rain in his neighbour's garden. He brings him in and adopts him, even though he belongs to the neighbours and they would actually have quite liked to have him back. Derek's blind wi
Fiona
I adore this mans work - I do wish that he would write more!!

He is so funny - on a par with Bill Bryson...

His pathos and humour are brilliant...

**UPDATE**

Have just re-read this on my Kindle and have fallen in love with this Mans writing all over again.

Sadly I have recently heard that Deric is very ill and has not long to live - so sad that we will get no more books from this wonderful writer,,

Who else could give us such wonderful and silly situations as a Cat Whisker up the nostril!!!!

Please re
Barbara

Longden saw a white kitten in his backyard during rainy weather and rescued it, not knowing it lived next door. Thermal's presence in the Longden house changed things forever. You will have to read the book to discover why he is named Thermal. I love all of Langden's books because cats are his favorite subject and he tells the stories with such humor and affection.
Sephie
Jun 17, 2007 Sephie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cat lovers
Shelves: auto_biog
Wonderful, heartwarming and well written true story about Thermal the kitten. A great little read.
Schnaucl
Aug 14, 2009 Schnaucl rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Pether Gethers' Norton books or Cleveland Amory's Polar Bear books
Unlike the typical adopting a cat changed a man's life book, the man in question is married and a father of four grown kids. He doesn't come off as particularly cantankerous or curmudgeonly. That's not to say the people in his life aren't highly amused by the lengths he goes to in order to please the cat, Thermal.

Thermal was a neighbor's kitten that Deric and his wive adopt when the kitten is left out in the rain and he feels sorry for it. (It's not until much later he learns that the cat did ha
Jean Tatro
A long time ago I received the audiobook as a gift and absolutely fell in love with it. I played it over and over until I literally played the tapes to death. The tapes were lost for good in a house fire, and for years I kept looking for replacements. Cue to this year, when I found the release of the book.

I'll start by saying that you definately lose something in the switch from the audiobook to the print version. The book isn't quite as charming, or witty, and the flaws stand out much more. I'd
Eileen
Very funny. I wish our Mimi could read this
Otherwyrld
A funny and entertaining little book about a man, his blind wife and his cat(s) and the strange things that happen to them. Enjoyable if you like cats of course (as I do), but possibly not for everyone. Manages to deftly avoid becoming too twee or sentimental, which is always a danger when writing about small furry animals. Written almost like a diary - things happen, more things happen, the end. Not particularly deep, but then it doesn't need to be, nor does it have any such pretensions. Just r ...more
Janet
In "The Cat Who Came in from the Cold" we are introduced to Thermal the kitten. Thermal knows when he's onto a good thing and decides to adopt Deric and Aileen as one of his own. Enjoy reading about Thermal, Deric and Aileen's domestic adventures as they pitch and lurch themselves through (what is for them) normal life. A gentle and very funny memoir about nothing in particular. Warning - tissues required - you'll cry with laughter!
I just love Longden's style; chatty and witty, and quite humble (very British!). Reading his stories about his new kitten, cat owners can just picture exactly what's going on, and I ended up laughing out loud on many occasions (even on the second reading!)

Deric starts as a dog lover, but by the end is firmly in the cat camp, and proud owner of 4! (and how could he NOT have converted?)
Estarriol
A warm friendly book about a man who finds a 'stray' kitten in his garden and how it charms its way into his and his almost blind authoress wifes life and home.

It is a feel good book but it has its hard edges as do all Deric Longdens books, he knows life is not just the good things.
Barbara
Nov 18, 2008 Barbara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone.
I love this book. It has all the comforts of a warm and inviting home, with a big, comfy chair to read in while sipping hot tea with, of course, a cat curled up on your lap. One of my perennial favorites. It is also wonderful in audio, if you can find it.
Peri
Truly my all time favourite cat book. The whimiscal narration leads you along into Deric Longden's world and his life with Thermal and Ralph. One of those feel-good comfort reads that I return to time and time again.
Laura Graves
A woman I work with was talking with me about audiobooks one day and she told me about this book. She said she and her friend loved it so much they'd listened to it hundreds of times. She brought it to me so I could give it a listen. I've never read anything by Deric Longden before, but it looks like he tends to write about his own life, accompanied by embellishments to make the story more interesting.

This book is precious, and perfect for winter. Deric, being the main character and narrator, te
Eleclyah

Che cosa ci colpisce in un gatto? A volte è la vivacità, a volte il musetto, a volte la sua voglia di coccole.
Deric Longden si è fatto conquistare dal sorriso di quel micetto bianco che sedeva, come un piccolo re, sopra un secchio rovesciato nel giardino del suo vicino di casa. Fuori, da solo, tutto il giorno, anche sotto la pioggia. E si è sorpreso a cercarlo fuori dalla finestra, più di una volta, e poi a parlargli, e infine a farlo entrare in casa sua. Un micetto troppo carino...
... così tant
Eccentrika
Una lettura sicuramente scorrevole e carina, ma devo dire che dalle recensioni mi aspettavo di meglio. Sarà che i mici protagonisti del libro avevano dei comportamenti molto diversi dai miei e non sono sono riuscita a trovare molte cose in comune... e soprattutto: cos'è questa storia che i gatti fanno ruttini dopo i pasti? Sono strani i miei mici che non lo hanno mai fatto o sono strani i mici del libro?
Susan Brewer
I discovered this not long after it first came out, and it's been one of my favourites ever since. Deric had the skill of making a reader laugh out loud one moment and then cry the next. All of his books are wonderful to read, his characters jump from the page, but this one, which I read over and over, is my all-time favourite - how often is it that you read about a cat who has a pet raisin?!
Sue Gill
I really loved this book. I was a little dubious at first, ive read a few 'true story' style books about cats and about people and been thoroughly bored. I should have known better though as this was bought for me by a good friend whos taste I trust.
I loved reading it, gentle and amusing, heart warming and easy to read, I couldn't put it down.
Louise Stokes
Came across this book as an audio book. Fantastic ! Read the book also but found I loved the audio best as the author reads it and he has the most amazing interpretation of Thermal's voice. If you ever get a chance to listen or even read this book you will not be sorry !!
Zoe
This book will make all cat - lovers smile and non - cat owners muse over their quirks. There's no real plot to the story, but what the book offers is a Day in the Life of a kitten called Thermal. Quirky stories of becoming red after have "an incident" with red wine, being "orchestrated" by the vet and climbing up trees via high sided vehicles. It is a lovely and fluffy (pun not intended) read, about two authors who spend endless hours writing books and with children not in the equation, the fel ...more
Bobbi Horn
Very cute read

I have 5 cats myself so I was going right through this book and enjoying the antics of this family of very different felines. I would recommend it because it has a light, lovely book.
Faith Toh
Longden has this ability to describe the scene so vividly, there were many moments when I chuckled out loud and even laughed. I read sections to my husband and he laughed out loud too.
John Sugden
A funny book about one man, his blind wife and the cats they accidentally adopt one by one.

With anything less than a 4 or 5 star rating I seem to be going against the crowd here. It's an amusing and heart warming tale but nothing near the gold standard of James Herriot. If cosy animal tales are your cup of tea then you'll love it. If you've ever been a cat owner you'll at least smirk at it, no matter how cynical you are. If you don't fall into either of those categories then its a good unchallen
Schmacko
This short tale of the domestication of India’s first housecat culls a lot from Hindu, Buddhist and Sanskrit folklore. It even borrows the tone. The problem is that the legends and myths may be well-known to the people of India, but they are incredibly obscure to the casual American reader. I believe I know a bit more about world religions than the average doofus (I consider myself an educated doofus), and even I got a little lost.

This, however, is the perfect little gift for your Hindu, book-lo
C.
It was a pure delight to be treated to the skill of this author's development of this kitten's personality, January 17, 2013
I have never read a book where an animal has so much personality or could carry a book's story so well,as this author does in 'The Cat Who Came In From The Cold'.
This book is not only very,very funny,but it is absolutely charming,as well.
Everyone who has ever been owned by a cat will recognize the many truisms throughout,but Thermal is also a very unique kitten/cat who is
Angela Verdenius
So sweet - had me laughing out loud in some places! The cats were inspiring and such wonderful personalties. I'm off to read the next one in the series.
Corinne
Loved it. The author has great conversations with his cats and describes their antics beautifully.
Bexy
My favourite book of all time - I must have read this over a hundred times, I just love it to bits.
Megan
When I was about 9, my family embarked on a road trip and took a number of books-on-tape with us. Londen's tale of adorable kittens, raisins, and such became an instant family favorite and we checked it out of the library for almost every trip after that (until we no longer had a tape deck in the car.) About 2 years ago, my mom found a copy for me for Christmas. It was wonderful reliving this text.

It's not your typical animal book (there really isn't a Marley and Me moment, thank goodness). It's
Kay Wells
local west yorkshire (Huddersfield) author writing about his pet cat. Light read.
  • Under the Paw: Confessions of a Cat Man
  • Cats In The Belfry
  • Hiss and Tell
  • The Feline Mystique: On the Mysterious Connection Between Women and Cats
  • The Cat Whisperer: The Secret of How to Talk to Your Cat
  • The Cat Who Went to Paris
  • Kitty Cornered: How Frannie and Five Other Incorrigible Cats Seized Control of Our House and Made It Their Home
  • Kaspar: Prince of Cats
  • The Dog Who Rescues Cats: True Story of Ginny
  • The World According to Bob: The Further Adventures of One Man and His Street-wise Cat
  • Minerva (The Six Sisters, #1)
  • My Cat Spit McGee
  • Vets Might Fly
  • The Silent Miaow: A Manual for Kittens, Strays, and Homeless Cats
  • Paw Tracks in the Moonlight. Denis O'Connor
  • Casper the Commuting Cat: The True Story of the Cat who Rode the Bus and Stole our Hearts
  • The Cat Who Covered the World: The Adventures Of Henrietta And Her Foreign Correspondent
  • the Heart of the Dales
Enough To Make A Cat Laugh Diana's Story Lost for Words I'm A Stranger Here Myself Paws in the Proceedings