Start by marking “100 One-Night Reads: A Book Lover's Guide” as Want to Read:
100 One-Night Reads: A Book Lover's Guide

100 One-Night Reads: A Book Lover's Guide

Readers everywhere know that nothing soothes the spirit like sinking into a really good book. If you're one of that happy band, you'll quickly recognize the authors of this inspired reading guide as kindred spirits. Here David and John Major have chosen one hundred books that can each be delightfully consumed in one quiet evening. Covering categories from fantasy to ...more
Published May 29th 2001 by Ballantine Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about 100 One-Night Reads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 One-Night Reads

Scott
Nov 19, 2009 Scott rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2000s, books
The Brothers Major must have bionic eyeballs. Of the 100 titles they recommend as one-evening reads, I picked out only a handful that I could comfortably finish in the short hours between supper and slumberland. The rest are too well written to be bolted: Who plows through Tolkien's ingenious Hobbit, Kipling's sprawling Kim, or Conrad's convoluted Secret Agent all in one sitting ... with pleasure? That kind of literary guzzling was inevitable when you were a kid, and gonzo when you were in colle ...more
Tania
Dec 05, 2012 Tania rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star-enjoyment
I love a lot of the little essays and the choices, but i think that out of the few that I've read off the list, some would take more than one night reading.
Still interesting.
Faith-Anne
Mar 17, 2008 Faith-Anne rated it did not like it
I was highly disappointed with the selection of books that this book had to offer.
Amanda
Sep 25, 2015 Amanda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of essays about books that one can read in one night.

I have read a few books on the list, and I find the title and idea of the book to be completely misleading. Unless you intend to stay up all night long, there is no way you could read ANY of these books in one night. I was expecting it to be short stories, but nope.
Maybe when Major says "one-night reads" what he really means is "one-day reads." Some of the works on the list, such as Charlotte's Web, I believe could be rea
Sterlingcindysu
Nov 24, 2009 Sterlingcindysu rated it liked it
(copied review) Beyond engrossing stories and pretty language, good books offer "a sense of having participated in much of what is finest in human culture," assert David C. Major and John S. Major (coauthor of The New Lifetime Reading Plan) in 100 One-Night Reads: A Book Lover's Guide. Though some recommendations may take longer than one night (e.g., The Hobbit), they are all enjoyable, tasteful, educational. Most of the selections are fiction, but humor and memoir also weigh in; poetry is ...more
Jonathan
Mar 10, 2009 Jonathan rated it really liked it
Just what I need - yet another book of books to read! This time, the hook is books you can (theoretically) read in one evening. The hook is very enticing for a time crushed guy like myself. Taking a page from the Lifetime Reading Plan, which John Major co-wrote, they write 2-4 page essays on the book and the author - just enough to get you interested.

Unfortunately, 'one evening' seems to be bit of a stretch. But still, interesting enough that I'll look to grab it on ABE or something.
Kathleen
Aug 02, 2010 Kathleen rated it liked it
Just what I needed---another 100 books to read. I did get several books to add to my list and have read some of them already. I tend to like older books better than the Top 10 list. The reviews are very well written and don't use the cliches so common in current reviews. The authors obviously love books.
Kara
May 10, 2016 Kara rated it it was amazing
The Majors introduced me to numerous authors whose works I might never have read on my own. Their thoughtful mini-book reports helped convince me to try books that probably would never have naturally circulated into my life. I wish that they would come out with another edition of this, but with a focus on works written within the the last 50 years.
Alan
Aug 06, 2011 Alan added it
A compilation of brief reviews of 100 short books that can theoretically be read in one evening. Books range from The Crying of Lot 49 by Pynchon to The Magician of Lublin by Isaac Bashevis Singer. Novels, non-fiction, travel, science and memoirs are included. I got some good hints for things to read.
 Barb Bailey
Sep 25, 2015 Barb Bailey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, 2010
This book gives a brief synopsis of the author and the story line of each book it reccomends. Easy read and good reference book.
Norabear
Mar 08, 2008 Norabear rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2008
I always get a kick out of books that give me lists of more books to read though this one was a bit of a drag to read.
Sharon Younkin
A fun collection to have when you don't have much time but would like to read a quick story, or when you need a break from a long, not-so-engrossing book.
Joan
Nov 02, 2015 Joan rated it liked it
It's a nice collection of summaries and quick "why-you-should-reads". I really enjoyed this read, and I have added a lot (though not all) of their suggestions to my to-read list.
Barb Strubel
Barb Strubel rated it really liked it
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was ok
Mar 31, 2013
Joy
Joy rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2008
Wes
Oct 07, 2012 Wes rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Fantastic collection of good short reads.
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2010
Sarah Jane
Sarah Jane rated it it was ok
Mar 08, 2012
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2014
Lucy
Lucy rated it liked it
sandy
sandy rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2007
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2013
Rick Gleaves
Rick Gleaves rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Jonathan Freed
Jonathan Freed rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2008
Kathy Lonquist
Kathy Lonquist rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2009
Kaite Stover
Kaite Stover rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2008
Monica
Monica rated it liked it
Marie Claude
Marie Claude rated it really liked it