Start by marking “A Simple Winter (Seasons of Lancaster #1)” as Want to Read:
A Simple Winter (Seasons of Lancaster #1)

A Simple Winter (Seasons of Lancaster #1)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  297 ratings  ·  51 reviews
THE PROMISE OF A HOME,
THE HEARTBREAK OF AN IMPOSSIBLE LOVE

As a budding journalist with a major newspaper, Remy McCallister is eager to prove herself. While investigating an unsolved crime, Remy winds up in the tightly woven Amish community of Lancaster County, the last place she would ever expect to find herself. The story leads her to Adam King and his ten younger sibling
Published October 18th 2011 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Simple Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Simple Winter

Kav
This is the kind of book you just want to curl up with and read straight through from beginning to end. Unfortunately life got in the way and I had to do essential things like work and sleep, but the story so ensnared me that even when I wasn't reading, I found myself anticipating the next time I would be able to.

Remy captivated me right from the start, so clearly at a crossroads in her life -- questioning past hurts but not learning from them as she struggles to find her place in the world. Sh
Emily Morris
I'm rather surprised at myself for giving a full 5 stars to an Amish romance book, but after much though I can't find a reason not to. I became interested in reading this after I read the sequel "A Simple Spring" some months ago and thought it kind of cute. However, "A Simple Spring" pales in comparison to this, which is just flat-out a great novel: stellar writing, interesting characters, a great plot, and just an enjoyable read.

Remy McCallister first meets Amish Adam King on a train. A year la
Linore
What makes me enjoy a book is not so much the setting but a good writer. Rosalind Lauer is that. I've read two "Amish" romances now, (this being my second) and, to my surprise, enjoyed both. In A Simple Winter you have winsome, well-drawn characters, deft portraits of Amish life (idealized, perhaps), and a sweet attraction between the hero and heroine. There's enough of a mystery to keep the pages turning, hints of darkness and sorrow, and yet an overall sense of goodness that wins the day. Add ...more
Dichotomy Girl
3.5 Stars, and probably one of the best of the Amish books that I've read this year, (I know, I know, I swore I was done after the debacle of the last one, but I saw this at the e-library and couldn't resist), but still a bit unrealistic (though, let's face it, we don't read any kind of Romance story for its realism .

The unrealistic portion for me was probably (view spoiler)
Jami
Nov 13, 2011 Jami added it
I loved this book. I've wondered for quite a while what the attraction was to these Amish books. While at a recent romance writers conference, this book was given away in our goodie bags. Now I understand why Amish books are so popular. I'm buying the next one as soon as my new Kindle arrives in the mail.
PeggyAnn  Smith
Forgiveness is a God Thing

Forgiveness is a God Thing

I have always enjoyed reading about the simplicity of The Amish way of life.
In so many ways I think we all crave simpler ways but are caught up in the hustle
and bustle of the more frenzied chaotic modern world. We love our Technologies
but hate the manic life style they create. So, maybe just stepping into that quieter
slower lifestyle even in a Novel...allows us a sweet taste of the good things in life...
Faith, Friends and Family...devoted to th
Barbara J. Harbison
Fantastic read -small spoiler alert

Fantastic read -small spoiler alert

As a former resident of Lancaster county (and I am moving back), it is always great to read stories about the people there. We were there this Sunday and passed many buggies on the roads.
This book was full of the good things about the Amish. It was a book that I had problems putting down when I really needed to go to bed. While I truly find it hard to believe that a woman wants to convert to the Amish ways, I am sure it happe
J.C. Morrows
Oh my word. Can I possibly explain just how fantastic this book is without giving too much away about how everything turns out. A tough job but someone has to do it.

First of all, No slow start for this book. The intrigue starts in the first paragraph of the first chapter on the first page. We are immediately drawn into this story of heartbreak, loss and of feeling lost. The characters grab our attention and do not let go.

Rosalind Lauer is an excellent storyteller. She spins a story of mystery an
Title: A SIMPLE WINTER
Author: Rosalind Lauer
Publisher: Ballantine Books
October 2011
ISBN: 978-0-343-52671-7
Genre: Amish/romance

Remy McCallister is forced to drop out of college when she starts having seizures and her father pulls the plug on her education. Yet, going home is the last thing she wants to do. Remy doesn’t have a good relationship with her father and dreads being there with him and his new girlfriend, who seems to only think Remy exists to beg money from her dad.

Adam King left the A
Terri
'A Simple Winter' by Rosalind Lauer is a sweet tale of a young woman who gets involved with an Amish community that is turned upside down when a mother and father of eleven children are murdered. Remy suffers from seizures and as a result is forced to drop out of college and move back home. On the way, she meets a young Amish man on the train and from there, their lives would never be the same. After joining her father's newspaper, Remy decides to write a story on the death of Adam's parents. Wh ...more
Deborha Mitchell
Review for A SIMPLE WINTER by Rosalind Lauer

“Forgiveness is like a three-pronged fork. There's forgiveness from the person you wronged. Forgiveness from God. And then, you've got to forgive yourself.”

This quote from the book tells it all. This is a lovely story about love and forgiveness. I admit that I really haven't read many books about the Amish, but this book makes me want to read more about them. A simple life, yet a hard life......
Rosalind Lauer did a wonderful job bringing her characters
Frances Chrisman
A Simple Winter

This is such a wonderful love story. I captured the beliefs of the Amish and how they handle things. This is also how an Englisher can learn to love the Amish and their ways enough to become one. A good book to read. I could not put it down.
Mayda
A Simple Winter is anything but a simple tale. From the very beginning of this story, with the murder of an Amish couple, to the satisfying ending, the reader will be engrossed in this fascinating tale. Rosalind Lauer does a masterful job of weaving together elements of mystery, romance, inspiration, and faith into an intriguing tale that you won’t want to put down. By the time you finish the novel, you will think of these characters as old friends, and you’ll want to know more about them and th ...more
Betty
I found this to be a wonderful and heart warming story. Remy McCallister is headed home t Philadelphia from college after her father cut off funding. She meets an interesting man, Adam King, during her trip home and they strike up a friendship. Adam is also on his way home to Lancaster, Penna. to help out his ten siblings that have been left orphans after their parents were murdered. Their friendship is short lived as each must go their own way. Remy begins working for her father at a major news ...more
Janet
I really enjoyed this book.

Remy, who works for her father at the Post, meets an Amish man, Adam on the train. He is returning to Lancaster County after the death of his parents, to take over raising his 10 siblings.
They strike up a conversation and once they go their seperate ways - Remy pitches his story to the paper. The paper send her to Lancaster Country for a follow up to the murder of Adam's parents.
Afraid of how Adam will react to her being a reporter she friends the family and ends up s
Paula Gardner
One of my favourite stories, I have just listened to it on audiobook for the second time, and it was just as heart warming and soul stirring as the first time. loved it.
Tina
This was the first time for me to read a book written by Rosalind Lauer and her Amish series will be a repeat for me in the future.

I loved this book because Rosalind Lauer had a way with using the right words to draw her readers into the book, to make you feel like you were right there living the scene with the characters too.

I tell ya' I didn't see the "who?" for the murderer coming as I was reading.
Rhonda Hull
loved this book. really made me think about forgiveness and how the Amish find ways to forgive and move on. loved reading this book.
Grace
Remy McCallister and Adam King meet on a train when headed home to Pennsylvania. Adam, an Amish man, is heading home to take care of 10 siblings after the death of both parents. Remy, who has also lost her mother, is headed home to work as a journalist at her father's newspaper due to some health issues.

A great all around Amish fiction book about love, trust and forgiveness. The plain life is depicted to be a quiet life filled with love and hardships along the way.

If you love Amish fiction you'l
Sara
I won this from Goodreads, and was hoping this was not another cookie-cutter Amish book. That being said, I can honestly say this is the best Amish book I have read to date. It is part romance, part mystery, which adds more excitement and depth to the characters and plot. I liked the realistic interaction between the characters, making them seem like real people, not the "perfect" personalities sometimes typical in Christain fiction. Although fairly predictable, there were surprises, too. This i ...more
Mary Macellis
A very sweet story. I Love this kind of quiet, Romantic Work!
Carolyn E
What a wonderful story!! I loved this book; could not put it down. I am looking forward to reading the next book, A Simple Spring.

Update 09/29/14: Somehow, I never got around to reading the second and third books in this series, so I decided to re-read the first book before going on to the next two. This book is even better the second time around. I loved it!! I highly recommend it!
Marg
Mar 03, 2014 Marg rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014, amish
excellent story.
Mary Ellen
This was the first book that I have read by Rosalind Lauer -- it will not be my last. I loved everything about this wonderful book. The characters were interesting. the story was delightful and I can honestly say that this is one of the best books that I have ever read. I could picture each scene in my mind and I am so anxious to read more of Rosalind's work.I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys getting lost in the story that they are reading.
Carlene
Very sweet story of love and hope.
Erin
I'm a big fan of forbidden love or similar along those lines. I love reading novels about Amish people falling in love with Non-Amish people or a certain race falling in love with a different race or somebody who falls in love out of their religion. My Enemy's Cradle is another good example of the scenerio...a Jewish girl falling in love with a German boy.
Kate
I really enjoyed this book. It had mystery, romance, finding your place in God's plan, and a great family as supporting 'cast' to the 2 main characters. I did figure out 'whodunnit' before it was revealed, but I didn't feel disappointed when it was proved I was right.
I'll definitely be reading the other books in this series!
Gregandemy
won on Goodread's First read giveaways!! Excited for this to arrive.

9/14/11: The entire time I was reading this novel, my main thought was 'this is nice'. Nice seems to sum it up well. nicely written, nice story, nice characters, clean, everything ties up nicely in the end. I enjoyed it as a fun, quick read.
Rebecca
I really enjoyed this book! I love stories about the Amish communities and simple living. This was a lighthearted romance with a little mystery mixed in. The story was pretty predictable but there was a good variety of well developed characters to keep things interesting the whole way through.
Jennifer Kelley
Not my usual type of book, but I really enjoyed this one. Lauer did a wonderful job creating characters I really enjoyed, and the story was well-written.
I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys Christian novels (esp. the Amish ones), as well as anyone who is looking for a good clean read.
  • A Promise for Miriam (The Pebble Creek Amish, #1)
  • Hannah's Dream (Hannah's Heart, #1)
  • An Amish Family Reunion
  • Autumn's Promise (Seasons of Sugarcreek, #3)
  • Treasuring Emma (Middlefield Family, #1)
  • The Wounded Heart (Amish Quilt, #1)
  • Abby Finds Her Calling (Home at Cedar Creek, #1)
  • The Memory Jar (Seven Brides for Seven Bachelors, #1)
  • The Keeper
  • A Season for Tending (Amish Vines and Orchards #1)
  • Wild Horses (Sadie's Montana #1)
  • Sarah's Garden (Patch of Heaven, #1)
  • A Plain & Fancy Christmas
Rosalind Lauer grew up in a large family in Maryland and began visiting Lancaster County’s Amish community as a child. Lauer attended Wagner College in New York City and worked as an editor for Simon & Schuster and Harlequin Books. She now lives with her family in Oregon, where she writes in the shade of some towering two-hundred-year-old Douglas fir trees.
More about Rosalind Lauer...
A Simple Autumn (Seasons of Lancaster #3) A Simple Spring (Seasons of Lancaster #2) A Simple Faith (Lancaster Crossroads, #1) A Simple Hope (Lancaster Crossroads #2) A Simple Charity (Lancaster Crossroads, #3)