Start by marking “The Elevator Mechanic (Workplace Encounters, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Elevator Mechanic (Workplace Encounters, #1)

The Elevator Mechanic (Workplace Encounters #1)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  39 reviews
This edition is no longer available. The book will be re-released by Diversity Novels.

Joe Taylor isn't interested in anything beyond casual sex - until he meets Bill Evans.

Joe is a quiet elevator installer who longs for a more stable life than having to change work sites and teams all the time. He doesn't want a relationship, though. When he runs into Bill Evans, his prior
Paperback, 1st edition, 152 pages
Published February 5th 2011 by Silver Publishing (first published October 9th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Elevator Mechanic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Elevator Mechanic

Ridley
Generally when I review a book, I start off with a two paragraph blurb. I'd focus on one character per paragraph, touching on what makes them tick while giving an idea of the plot. For this book, however, I'm finding it impossible to stick to my usual style.

First off, there's little to no characterization to speak of. Little sets the two characters, Joe Taylor and Bill Evans, apart. Ms. Yates all but forgot to give them personalities and backgrounds. They're cardboard cutouts lamely occupying pl
Andrew Grey
I found this story alot of fun. The characters were interesting and not the type of people who would necessarily get together. That intrigued me as did the level of research and the detail it took to make the characters and their occupations believable without going into to much detail. The sex was hot but didn't overshadow the rest of the story. For a fun few hours, pick up this story.
Pia Veleno
So many random things that stuck in my head on this one, so let's play with bullet points--

* My first Serena Yates book. There shall be more.
* I'm willing to bet no one's read a story about an elevator mechanic.
* Yates did her homework on that role - she included a lot of interesting info about the job of installing elevators, but not too much info. She kept the setting real without an info dump.
* At first I didn't get into the characters or their relationship, but I couldn't say where that chan
Cole Riann
This was a nice quick read with characters that I really liked. I love to see a character like Joe, that really learns something about himself from his relationship and applies it to his life. He becomes a better person. I would have loved to know the outcome of his lawsuit, but seeing him stand up to his asshole boss, Donald, was enough to really show me how much his time with Bill has affected him.

A really good story that covers quite a bit of ground for it's short length. With novellas, I oft
Serena Yates
Oct 09, 2010 Serena Yates added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, written-by-me
Published today, this is the first book in my series of 'Workplace Encounters'. Inspired by men meeting at work - but definitely staying away from the so-called office romance. This series will look at all types of workplace, even the occasional office may play a role, but the 'romance part' is guaranteed not to take place there.

I hope you will enjoy reading this book, and its future sequels, as much as I enjoyed writing it.
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I really liked the overall plot. I thought the concept for this story was really interesting how it was based off blue-collar workers. I've never read a story about an elevator mechanic and it was quite interesting reading about the little details given on how an elevator was built.

Joe, who is the elevator mechanic, doesn't have that much sexual experience. In his line of work, you can't really be gay so he satisfies his occasional needs at clubs every couple of months. Bill is an owner of a fu
Lena Grey
'The Elevator Mechanic' by Serena Yates is about Bill and Joe, two men with shaky pasts, devoid of the love and support everyone deserves. Constant disappointment and ridicule caused them to retreat into themselves and avoid commitment, which effectively denied them what they needed most—a fulfilling relationship of love and trust.

Both characters showed tremendous personal growth by recognizing that when it came to each other, their fears were unfounded. They went from mistrusting, insecure men
G G
This story is formulaic. Boy spots boy and their eyes meet; boy later meets boy and they have sex; one of them gets fired and the other one helps him out; and on and on until they prepare to ride off into the sunset together. It should probably be in the Nifty Erotic Stories archive, where it would be a standout for its grammar and spelling, even if the sex isn't as well written as that found in many stories on Nifty.

The dialogue is choppy, probably because it isn't connected to the action. It m
Serena Yates
Jan 21, 2015 Serena Yates added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, written-by-me
Rereleased today, The Elevator Mechanic is he first of the Workplace Encounters books to be published by Dreamspinner Press. It is the story of quiet elevator installer Joe who doesn't think he needs a relationship, and experienced fitness trainer Bill, who falls in lust with Joe at first sight - but isn't looking for more than a casual encounter either. When things get hot, then hotter between them, they both reconsider their options...

Workplace Encounters is inspired by men meeting at work - b
Justina
Wow.

This story with amazing guys, super hot sex and a dramatically different setting from Serena’s other works was a wild eye opener for me.

I love mechanical things and the fantastic info Serena included was terrific and added just the right amount of grounding reality. The steaminess and sexual energy just blew me away.

If this is just the first of Serena’s “workplace” stories, I am panting for the rest of the series.
SirenBookReviews
The Elevator Mechanic by Serena Yates was one hot quick read.

There’s something about blue collar workers that is enticing. Joe is the more effeminate of males, possessing keen intelligence and intuitive skills for his job. Unfortunately, he lacked the self confidence to stand up for himself. This is the same characteristic that had Joe sitting on the sidelines of love.

Until he meets Bill, an entrepreneur with dreams and plans of his own. Both men have issues from their childhood that make them w
Ami

This is the first book by Serena Yates that I read.

The good things: I really LOVE how the characters are about blue-collar workers. It's refreshing to read about an Elevator Mechanic and an owner of fitness facility. I don't think those occupations are frequently used. I also enjoy how the story is taken from both men's point of view.

Of the two, Joe is the one I enjoy the most because he has this trait that is adorable, like blushing or his wanting to explore new ways in love making.
Natālija
Hard to believe but I have never read anything by Serena Yates. I chose The Elevator Mechanic considering many positive reviews, and I'm happy to say that I'm not in the least bit disappointed. Her writing is flowing, smooth and it kept my interest until the very last page. Both characters, while having some minor insecurities, are strong, loyal, and very right for each other. I adored the tender and caring side of their relationship and savoured the sizzling chemistry, and I definitely apprecia ...more
Meggie
The story is interesting, but that's all. Both main characters did pull me into the story but it was to simple. I didn't get the feeling for them at all. I started to ask myself, what was the past of each of them, but that's I guess was not relevant or important. You get the picture of "now" and what was in the past, what troubles and hurt both of them went true, was not actually explained, what I definitely missed.
The couple is good together and they have that instant chemistry, but the plot c
Ron Fritsch
I enjoyed reading The Elevator Mechanic by Serena Yates, the first book in her Workplace Encounters series. This is the sweet story of the closeted man of the title, Joe Taylor, 28 years old, and five-foot-ten. He’s an honest, hard-working guy who can’t bring himself to rebel against his manipulative, homophobic boss.

Until he meets Bill Evans, the 32-year-old, self-confident owner of a new gym and fitness studio. I was pleased to see Bill, the bigger man of the two, and Joe play the sexual roles
Aerin
This is my first Serena Yates book, and while it was interesting, it didn’t have a lot of depth. There were things I liked a lot and things I found shallow and a bit lacking. I do need to say that the cover almost kept me from reading this book; I’m sorry but it has to be one of the worst covers I‘ve ever seen.

I liked that both characters were blue-collar workers, so there’s no Cinderella story of finding the rich prince overnight. Joe was an elevator mechanic; he works hard every day and doesn
Morgan  Skye
Joe has a low self-esteem and not much experience being a gay man. He’s had some bar encounters but no real relationships. He works construction installing elevators and escalators for a diabolical boss who only wants to cut corners.

Bill is a personal trainer who is opening up a new gym (in the mall Joes is currently working on) and also has a low self-esteem. Bill doesn’t want a relationship because he’s too busy trying to prove himself with his new gym.

Bill meets Joe at a club and the two hit
Janean
A great start to the Workplace Encounters Series. Both characters were endearing with their insecurities. Loved the unexpected kinkiness of both men. A fun sexy read.
Elizabeth Besenfelder
Wonderfully written story. I loved the interaction between the characters as their relationship deepened. I am excited for the next book in the series.
Maya
Another wonderful story from Serena. She is now permanently on my "must read anything new by" list of authors.
Leaundra
Bill and Joe were hot:-) Enjoyed this book a lot:-)No surprise, I always enjoy Serena's books!
Ashley Cox
Love it, love it, love it.
Carla
A casual meeting becomes a deeper relationship for Joe and Bill. None of them is looking for anything beyond a few moments of pleasure, but there's an atraction growing between them and, even though there's isn't much stability in their lives, they find themselves actually caring for each other.
This book begins mostly with a focus on physical contact and atraction, and so, sex is a massive presence along the story. There is, however, a story behind both men and, as their relationship grows to s
Pam
It's a fun and quick read that showed both characters personal growth. I loved Joe. He was such a two-sided guy...shy and blushing with Bill but determined and efficient at work. Both he and Bill had been hurt before and were afraid to open their hearts up to love. It was nice to see how love managed to sneak up on them when they least expected it.

The story is heartwarming as Bill takes care of Joe after he's injured and tries to help his lover determine how to move forward with his professiona
D.H. Starr
The Elevator Mechanic is a story which portrays the journey two men take as they open their hearts to accept love into their lives. Joe Taylor is an understated man with a past that has caused him to seek stability and to steer clear of any form of rejection of confrontation. Bill Evans is a man who wants to start up his own fitness center and to be his own boss. Both men are afraid to make connections that last beyond a one-night-stand, but all of that changes one Friday night when they meet up ...more
Daanquai
This was a really light and fast read for me and overall, I did enjoy it. I really loved Joe and Bill's characters, two blue collar workers who meet while simultaneously working at a mall construction site.

This story, however, some niggles that really stood out for me that kept me from rating it higher. The big one is the dialogue between Joe and Bill outside the sex scenes. Instead of allowing the characters to show their feelings/thoughts throughout the flow of the story, the characters simpl
Bludhaven
I've recieved this as goodreads giveaway.

"The Elevator Mechanic" was a quick, hot read centered around interesting characters. The main characters Bill and Joe see each other for the first time in a mall where Joe is woring to build the new elevators and Bill is to open his new fitness centre. Both have been reluctant to form close relationships and bring bagage to the growing love affair. Only "slowly" and through bouts of steamy love-making do they realize they can trust each other and go fro
UKSandy
This book was good, there was a lot of sex but I wanted more of a story as well which unfortunately I felt we were just starting to get towards the end. There were a lot of things in Joe's past we never got to hear about, I just wanted to know more about them.

This was the first book I've read by Serena Yates and although I only it 3 stars I will be reading more of her books.
~SexyBookWorm~
This is more like a 3.5. I truly liked the characters but we didn't REALLY get to know them. For example, apparently Joe had been sexually abused growing up but he never tell Bill. Also, we get like one snippet of info abt bill. it's kind of annoying. However, the story plot is good and plays out well.
Dreamspinner Press: The Elevator Mechanic by Serena Yates 1 4 Jan 21, 2015 09:57PM
  • Blood Pond (Blood Pond, #1)
  • A Prophecy of Destiny (Ancient Prophecy, #1)
  • Second Chance Bite (Wolf Harem, #1)
  • Running Hot (EMS Heat, #1)
  • Falling (Falling #1)
  • In the Flesh (Flesh, #1)
  • Everything Under the Sun
  • A Subtle Breeze (Southern Spirits, #1)
  • Shadows of the Mind (Pembroke Eve Chronicles, #1)
  • Texas Hold 'Em (Poker Night, #1)
  • Sylvan (Sylvan, #1)
  • The Trap
  • Touch Me Gently
  • Finn (Endangered Fae #1)
  • Fugly (connected by Jackson Spey #9)
  • Blood Moon (Insolita Luna #1)
  • Son of Death (Keepers of the Gods, #1)
  • Hunter and the Hawk (Symbiotic Mates #1)
I’m a night owl and start writing when everyone else in my time zone is asleep. I’ve loved reading all my life and spent most of my childhood with my nose buried in a book. Although I always wanted to be a writer, financial independence came first. Twenty-some years and a successful business career later I took some online writing classes and never looked back.

Living and working in seven countries
More about Serena Yates...

Workplace Encounters (10 books)
  • The Chauffeur (A Workplace Encounters Book)
  • The Bricklayer (A Workplace Encounters Book)
  • The Ship Engineer (A Workplace Encounters Book)
  • The Carpenter (A Workplace Encounters Book)
  • The Baker (A Workplace Encounters Book)
  • The Truck Driver (A Workplace Encounters Book)
  • The Model (A Workplace Encounters Book)
  • The Cellar Hand (A Workplace Encounters Book)
  • The Florist (Workplace Encounters, #8)
To Find and to Keep (Keeping You, #1) The Mistletoe Phenomenon (Mistletoe Science, #1) Finding Elliot (Men of Riverside, #1) To Keep and to Love (Keeping You, #2) Rescuing the Librarian (New Horizons, #1)