Start by marking “The Bee Balm Murders (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Bee Balm Murders (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #10)

The Bee Balm Murders (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #10)

The one-of-a-kind sleuth Victoria Trumbull must solve another puzzling mystery on Martha’s Vineyard, her Island home.

Published April 26th 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Bee Balm Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bee Balm Murders

Shannon
Oct 31, 2016 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
This is the first book I've ready by Ms. Riggs. What a shame I began with her tenth. I will definitely have to check out the earlier ones.
Ivonne Rovira
Mar 12, 2013 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of nature and fine cozies
The perennially 92-year-old Victoria Trumbull — renowned poet, avid gardener, sage, and West Tisbury’s oldest police deputy — returns in The Bee Balm Murders, although in much less than fine form — at least physically. A bout of Lyme disease has the usually imperturbable Victoria struggling to think straight through her medication and not at her usual masterful cognitive level.

The introduction of fiber-optic cable to Martha’s Vineyard will be ushering the Vineyard into the 21st century. But a co
Sherry
Sep 16, 2016 Sherry rated it really liked it
Classic island mystery! ...more
Cheryl A
Aug 24, 2013 Cheryl A rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This is the tenth in the cozy series featuring Victoria Trumball, the 92 year old part-time deputy, poet and full time Island institution. In this offering, Victoria reluctantly rents a room in her family manse to the engineer in charge of laying fiber optic cable on the island.

When a body turns up in a trench, Orion's company begins to have problems. The body is that of a potential investor and Orion has to scramble to find additional funding. At the urging of Dorothy Roche, a small investor i
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Sleuth, Victoria Trumbell is a poet, newspaper columnist and a deputy to the Police Chief. She is living a full life and rents out rooms on a short term basis.

Orion Nanopoulos is trying to lay fiber optics on the vineyard and is also looking for venture capitalists to invest in his company. Orion rents a room from Victoria.

There is a body found in a trench where some of the optics are to be laid. It is the body of one of the investors. And, that kicks off the mystery.

To be honest, I had difficul
Kathleen
Aug 05, 2011 Kathleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
The latest in this series involving a 92 year old Martha’s Vineyard native, journalist/poet/police deputy, began much darker than previous novels. Full of ominous foreshadowing, I feared the intrepid Victoria Trumbull was being “phased out,” the stage being set for her physical decline. Riggs has always been honest about the many facets of Martha’s Vineyard (not the “summer home to the stars” view) – socioeconomic challenges, drug and alcohol addiction, political intrigue. However, the unscrupul ...more
Patsy
Jul 11, 2016 Patsy rated it liked it

It’s spring on the Island, and at the suggestion of her beekeeper, Victoria takes in a new boarder, Orion Nanopoulos. Orion is leading a project to lay a fiber-optic cable across the island. When a body is found in the trench where they are laying the cable, Orion tells Victoria he recognizes the dead man as someone who was a potential investor. Victoria, renowned for her skill a
Katherine Rowland
Jun 11, 2014 Katherine Rowland rated it really liked it
Shelves: fic-mystery
This was my first experience with the Martha's Vineyard series, and I will probably be back. The book required a certain suspension of disbelief, with unlikely encounters, characters, and connections. But I didn't feel shortchanged by this: the whole thing was a little mirage-like, a summer daydream of a book.

The mystery itself was fairly solid, though the ending felt a little forced and truncated. The characters were, on the whole, likable, though not clearly defined in many ways. People float
Georgiann Hennelly
Sep 02, 2012 Georgiann Hennelly rated it really liked it
Victoria Trumbull was born and raised on Martha,s vineyard. Traditions are important to the ninety-two year old amateur sleuth and poet. But she knows modern innovations like new fiber -optic cables are inevitable for the historic island. Her new tenant is actually in charge of the project. But when the companys biggest potential investor is found dead in a ditch, Victoria starts her own investigation. After a wealthy newcomer also invests and the appearance of a few more financiers with duplici ...more
Susan
Jun 10, 2011 Susan rated it it was ok
I've enjoyed past books in this series enough to keep me reading when I got discouraged with this one, which seems more vague and less cohesive than the earlier entries. Elderly poet and deputy sheriff Victoria Trumbull reluctantly agrees to let a room to engineer Orion Nanopolous, who is planning to install a fiber optic line across Martha's Vineyard. There are several scam artists who want a piece of Orion's pie, and one of his investors is found dead in a ditch. Victoria has a case of Lyme's ...more
Ann
Aug 08, 2015 Ann rated it really liked it
I love Victoria Turnbull. She is 92 years old and still a police detective. A body is found in a trench that is being dug to put in fiber optic services to the island. The man in charge of the dig is rooming at Victoria's and she is drawn to him. The sons of the dead man ask her to look into the murder and she begins to investigate what soon seems to be a case of mob murder, deception, fraud and drug dealing. An average case for Victoria and she soon has it all straightened out. This is a great ...more
Agatha
Jul 26, 2013 Agatha rated it it was ok
I have to admit I did not care for this one so much, I am sorry to say. Only because the “mystery” felt too “corporate”/”white collar” that it didn’t really hold my interest. For instance, the main character, Orion Nanapoulos would say something like, “If I am the CEO, but we reorganize things so that it’s under a different corporation name and so-and-so becomes the CFO. . . . .” zzzzz, by this time, I am zoning out and my brain is going “la la la la la.” The elements I *DID* like, however, incl ...more
Vicki Gooding
Apr 24, 2013 Vicki Gooding rated it really liked it
The main character, Mrs. Trumbull is a delightful character. The character line up is good, and the story line is good. I was a tad disappointed by the ending. After the murder-she-wrote type of build up, you almost have to guess if the murderer of one or both of the two in the book is who you think they've exposed. Other than that, I enjoyed the book and am looking forward to reading other Victoria Trumbull mysteries.
Jim Sampson
Jun 28, 2011 Jim Sampson rated it liked it
Victoria and her new and old island friends have stumbled on another murder on Martha's vineyard. I enjoyed this authors way of spinning a cozy story. Main character is a joy to read on with. The story is enjoyable and simply a great cozy story. But it is the end the baffled me. No real solution but I guess this happens in the real world all the time. Find the prime suspects and then you go from there. Still a good story.
Gregory Hart
Jun 05, 2013 Gregory Hart rated it liked it
I found this book to be a mix between two famous characters, well my favorite at least, Miss Marple from Agatha Christie and Jessica Fletcher of Murder She Wrote. I Loved the character Victoria Trumble, she's a lively character and despite her age, she will do what she wants and how she wants. However with that being said, the book jumped from character to another, allowing to have to many characters in the book to follow and it can sometimes be confusing.
Amanda Jones
Oct 05, 2015 Amanda Jones rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It was my first book of the series. The mystery bypasses the sordid and graphic for a clean intellectual challenge. The plot is multidimensional and presents additional puzzles throughout the story to be solved. This could be distracting but author Cynthia Riggs does a nice job of weaving them back into the central mystery. I look forward to reading other books by Riggs.
Rebecca Tousey
Mar 21, 2014 Rebecca Tousey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed it.

Enjoyed it.

I love the characters. it would have earned 5 stars if she revealed more about them. and the ending was too short. I want to know more about how the project worked out. Even just the author inserting an afterward telling us that more about the characters would be in the next book scheduled to be released on . . .
Denise
Sep 27, 2012 Denise rated it really liked it
I liked Victoria Trumbull the series protagonist but it is hard to believe that she is 92 and getting around as well as she does. I really liked the book (it is #10 in the series) and will go back and read the others in the series. However I can't imagine this series going on much longer or if it does being believable with the sleuth being so old.
Kari
May 21, 2013 Kari rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
I wonder if this drilling device they used to lay fiber-optic cable on Martha's Vineyard really exists! Orion is upgrading the bandwidth on the island, but Valpone is discovered dead in one of his trenches. Orion is staying with Victoria, who gets involved in trying to find the killer. For the first time, she seems to be showing her age.
Grey853
May 26, 2011 Grey853 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, cozy
Sharon
Jul 06, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it
A charming book with a great setting in Martha's Vineyard. I enjoyed the characterizations although some of the characters were a bit overdone - bad guys that not even a mother could love. The 92 year old detective is very appealing - I want to be like her when (if) I reach that age!
Megan
May 04, 2012 Megan rated it did not like it
didn't enjoy this book at all, nearly gave up half way through as the unlikeable characters and the far fetched, all- over- the -place plot made for painful reading. Didn't even care what happened at the end or who the murderer was as the story was so ridiculous and boring!
Leslie
Jul 10, 2014 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Victoria did another fine job of solving the mysteries and feeding bees with her flower garden. Interesting look at fiber optic cable installation. I really like this series and whipped through this book while on vacation on Tangier Island.
Basia Barbara
Nov 01, 2011 Basia Barbara rated it it was amazing

Of all of the books so far in this series, this was my favorite. The issue of cable TV and internet is still active. I wish I knew how much of this really happened and how much was fiction. I really hope the Mob does not have a foothold on the island.
Cathy
Aug 11, 2014 Cathy rated it really liked it
This was my first read in the series. I came upon this book in a read-a-book, take-a-book shelf in the library. I really enjoyed. The setting was charming and I just loved the characters. I am looking forwarding to reading more titles in this Martha's Vineyard whodunit set.
Val
Jun 27, 2016 Val rated it really liked it
A Victoria Trumbull murder mystery. A 92 year old sleuth who assists the police department in Martha's Vineyard.
66yoguy
Sep 04, 2013 66yoguy rated it liked it
9th or 10th in the series of 12, it was OK. I didn't care for the way all the suspects were brought together at the end, and the guilty exposed.
May 27, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
A bit disappointed with the ending, the murderer was never really named--a loss end? Books by author Cynthia Riggs are usually tidy???
Colleen
Aug 19, 2014 Colleen rated it did not like it
This is one of the worst books I have ever read. Ridiculous characters, horrible pacing. I don't understand the appeal of this author/series.
Linda Allen
Aug 30, 2011 Linda Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this series a lot and marked this one as "really liked", which I did until the end. They never definitely identified the killer as far am I'm concerned.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
ACPL Online Book ...: Cliffhanger with the Bee Balm Murders 1 1 Nov 14, 2016 10:35AM
  • Negative Image (Constable Molly Smith #4)
  • Grounds for Murder (Maggy Thorsen Mystery #2)
  • Idiot: Beating "The Curse" and Enjoying the Game of Life
  • Dying for a Change
  • The Highly Effective Detective Plays the Fool (The Highly Effective Detective, #3)
  • A Case of Imagination (Madeline Maclin #1)
  • Island Boy
  • Men and Gods: Myths and Legends of the Ancient Greeks‎
  • The Vine Basket
  • Murder, Lies and Chocolate
  • Verse of the Vampyre (Poetic Death Mystery, #2)
  • Letting Swift River Go
  • Deadly Threads (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #6)
  • Once I Ate a Pie
  • Calamity Town
  • Spin a Wicked Web (Home Crafting Mystery, #3)
  • The Tooth of Time (Maxie and Stretch, #2)
  • A Killer's Christmas in Wales (Penny Brannigan Mystery #3)
Cynthia Riggs, a tall gray-haired and imposing figure, is a 13th generation Islander, the mother of five and daughter of author and poet Dionis Coffin Riggs and school principal and printmaker Sidney N. Riggs.

With a degree in geology, her own remarkable resumé -- writing for the National Geographic Society and Smithsonian (she spent two months in Antarctica), working in public relations for the Am
More about Cynthia Riggs...

Martha's Vineyard Mystery (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Deadly Nightshade (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #1)
  • The Cranefly Orchid Murders (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #2)
  • The Cemetery Yew (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #3)
  • Jack in the Pulpit (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #4)
  • The Paperwhite Narcissus (Martha's Vineyard Mysteries, #5)
  • Indian Pipes (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #6)
  • Shooting Star (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #7)
  • Death and Honesty (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #8)
  • Touch-Me-Not (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #9)
  • Poison Ivy (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #11)