Start by marking “How to Listen to God” as Want to Read:
How to Listen to God

How to Listen to God

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  367 ratings  ·  37 reviews

After becoming a Christian, believers discover the joy of God's voice, but often the purity and freshness of that initial experience becomes clouded by the daily routine of life. In "How to Listen to God" Dr. Charles Stanley helps readers rediscover how to distinguish God's voice from all other voices around them, and how to joyfully and obediently respond. Dr. Stanley use

Published September 3rd 2002 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about How to Listen to God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Listen to God

Lisa Yunt
May 14, 2012 Lisa Yunt rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those seeking a deeper relationship with Christ or ministering to those that do
Recommended to Lisa by: Amazon review from a Priscilla Schier study
I enjoyed this book and found it gave me material to minister to others. It points out how important it is to surround yourself with a Christian community. God often speaks through our friends and loved ones. If they are in-line with Biblical principles and living Godly lives, we might be able to hear God more clearly through them.

"How to Listen to God" reminded me that reading the Bible is so incredibly important. A clear way to know if God is in fact speaking to you is if the message you are
Larisha
Read and be further encouraged by Dr. Stanley to listen to the Holy Spirit. God Deeply wants a relationship with us and HE speaks to us.. if we only listen!! The result - a deeper kinship with our Father, God!!

Through the Holy Spirit, God lives intimately with each of us. He is embedded within the deepest core of our lives, and He desires fellowship with us so that He can pour :) His life into us!!

As we go through life's journey it becomes so evident that listenings crucial companion and compl
Rich
Ever wonder if the advice you're hearing is really from God? For a new Christian, Dr. Stanley provides an excellent road map in simple terms on how to develp you relationship with God. I read it 20 years ago and still like to pick it up every now and then because I find it so reaffirming.

This book is a good compliment to your daily reading of the Bible. Be able to direct new Christians to this book will help show them how to deepen their relationship with God.
Endelea
How to Listen to God is definitely clear cut and concise spiritual direction for a new believer in addition to being confirmation for any believer. It deals with and illustrates relationship building between Christians and God. What it looks like, what it consist of and why some of us do not possess it.

Highly recommend this book.
Ken Stevens
To the new believer, Charles Stanley presented very sound biblical principles for learning to listen to God. To the mature Christian he reminded them of what it takes to hear God.
Serge Pierro
Charles Stanley is my favorite Christian author, and once again he delivers. This time, his teaching is on discerning the voice of God. Interesting as always.
Deann
This is a phenonmenal inspirational instruction guide on how to find God's will. A must read!
Anna
Reaffirming, encouraging, and convicting wisdom in this book. Exactly what I needed to hear.
Mary
LOVE this book. It made me think about my prayer life and my actual relationship with God.
Mark R. McCallum
Most helpful. Picked this up during some dark times and it proved uplifting.
Reid
Another 'how to' book from Stanley.

Easy to read and practical.

Second time I have read this book; I read half the book and skimmed the rest; we studied this in a small group.

HOW TO LISTEN TO GOD
Wednesday, Nov 2, 2011
Identifying the Voice of God

Jesus made it clear in John 10:27 that the believer’s normal experience is to hear God accurately. “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.” If we as believers walk in the Spirit, understand the meaning of the Cross, and allow the Ho
Amy Walker
Charles Stanley has written an easy to read guide that covers all the major concerns about hearing God for oneself. It is presented in a sort of outline format in which Stanley gives several key principles under each specific topic and then fills in the gaps. He uses real stories to illustrate certain ideas which give it a more relatable and personal touch. I found it very helpful in confirming some things I already knew to be true while giving me a different perspective on others that were insi ...more
Kris
Full of scripture, how-to lists, common sense, and wisdom. A good, short resource, but nothing too groundbreaking. I found it full of good reminders, but I didn't really learn anything new. Stanley could have gone much deeper in his research, but for a small attempt, it's admirable.
Stephen Bowen
Good book.. Teaches you to be sensitive to all things that God ca be speaking to you in, with, or through .
Melissa Swearengin
Practical and true advice on listening to God better!
Oluremi Ladeji
I am on page 14- Learnt that God speaks to us in four primary ways: through His Word, through the Holy Spirit, through other godly people, and through circumstances.
Barry
Listening to God requires faith. Faith that God exists and that He is speaking to each and every one of us. Mr. Stanley lays this out with simple, easy to understand explanations. He breaks the book down into chapters that are relevant and address the realm of listening to God as He speaks to us. This is quite a good book, and the only thing keeping it from a 5 star rating is the use of personal examples that (perhaps unintentionally) paint Mr. Stanley as a superman. Disregarding that though, th ...more
Elaine
A great little book on listening to God
Don Incognito
I read this because I had read Charles Stanley's book The Wonderful Spirit-Filled Life and found it very valuable. The best part of it is the chapter on how to meditate as a Christian. Overall, the book does a great job of emphasizing that God wants to talk to you and of telling you how to listen easily.
Cachet
This book was very enlightening and brought a lot of clarity to my whole "hearing from God" dilemma. Stanley makes it clear that God is speaking in a number of ways; I just had to pay better attention and sometimes look beyond the surface. Now, I'm hearing all sorts of messages from God.
Mitzi Adkinson
As always, Charles Stanley writes with clarity and understandability. The book is interesting and inspiring. Not only was I encouraged and uplifted, I learned a thing or two. I highly recommend this book.
Martha
Warning: Do not read this book unless you are 100% sure that you really do want to hear God! I loved how practical Charles Stanley wrote it and how it was very challenging.
Amy
Cool, calm, and collected Stanley shares his bits of Christ centered wisdom on how to focus and take the time to listen to God.
Ginger Shultz
May 21, 2008 Ginger Shultz rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ginger by: Susan
It was a good book, uplifting, but it was a little heavy on the "charismatic" side for me.
Marie
Charles has an anointed talent for relating how to connect wholly, spiritually to God!!
Read1000books
So helpful and practical, I've read it twice and will probably read it again.
Sandy
A good book to keep around and re-read every now and then for a refresher.
Alcyone
This book came at exactly the time I needed it the most.
Tina
Excellent book. Pastor Stanley is an excellent teacher.
Wenceslao
  • Experiencing God Day-By-Day: The Devotional and Journal
  • The Gift for All People
  • One Minute After You Die: A Preview of Your Final Destination
  • The Truth War: Fighting for Certainty in an Age of Deception
  • Vertical Church: What Every Heart Longs for. What Every Church Can Be.
  • God: As He Longs for You to See Him
  • Alone With God (MacArthur Study Series)
  • Improving Your Serve: The Art of Unselfish Living
  • Praying Backwards: Transform Your Prayer Life by Beginning in Jesus' Name
  • Deliver Us from Me-Ville
  • Secret Power
  • The Good Life
  • What Can I Do With My Guilt? (Crucial Questions, #9)
  • What Are You Afraid Of?: Facing Down Your Fears with Faith
  • Alive: A Cold-Case Approach To The Resurrection
  • How to Study Your Bible
  • Sifted: God's Scandalous Response to Satan's Outrageous Demand
  • I Have Loved You: Getting to Know the Father's Heart
Dr. Charles F. Stanley is the senior pastor of First Baptist Church Atlanta, founder of In Touch Ministries, and a New York Times best-selling author who has written more than fifty books, and has sold more than nine million copies. He demonstrates a keen awareness of people's needs and provides Christ-centered, biblically-based principles for everyday life.

Charles Frazier Stanley was born Septem
More about Charles F. Stanley...
The Wonderful Spirit Filled Life When the Enemy Strikes: The Keys to Winning Your Spiritual Battles The Blessings of Brokenness: Why God Allows Us to Go Through Hard Times The Charles F. Stanley Life Principles Bible: A Life Principles Resource Landmines in the Path of the Believer: Avoiding the Hidden Dangers