Start by marking “The Price We Paid” as Want to Read:
The Price We Paid

The Price We Paid

The story of the Willie and Martin handcart pioneers is among the most compelling in the history of America's western migration. Though tragic, it is also a story of triumph that scarcely has an equal. It is one of history's great witnesses of the power of faith and sacrifice.

Although this story is one of the most frequently told of all Mormon pioneer accounts, it is also

Published (first published July 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Price We Paid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Price We Paid

Barbara Lovejoy
Jul 11, 2014 Barbara Lovejoy rated it it was amazing
Although I LOVED this book, it took me quite a while to read it. That was because I cried almost every time I read from it and could only read a few pages. What a tremendous example of faith, commitment, and devotion. It is a book I will probably read again.
Cindy
Aug 05, 2014 Cindy rated it it was amazing
I loved Gerald Lund's historical fiction about the Martin & Willie handcart companies. And it was a faster read than this non-fiction book about the same thing. But somehow reading of the things that happened in their own words made the experiences more powerful, and being able to read about what happened after to so many members of the Martin & Willie companies was fascinating. Definitely the non-fiction book of my summer.
Michael Abel
Dec 05, 2015 Michael Abel rated it really liked it
This is a moving and fairly detailed account of the ill-fated Mormon handcart companies which headed west far too late in the season of 1856. Drawn largely from the participants journals and later first-person accounts, it provides insight into the motivations, faith, and courage of both the pioneers and their rescuers. Their legacy is unmistakable. The focus on individual stories lends great power and authenticity to the narrative, but does make the narrative a bit choppy in places.
Laura Miller
Feb 21, 2015 Laura Miller rated it it was amazing
This is an incredible account of what the Martin and Willie Handcart companies endured in the winter 1856 while crossing the midwest on to Utah. I knew some of the story and hardships but this really gave me a new perspective. I recommend this to anyone who wants to know more.
Stephanie
Feb 01, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
very good book

This book details some interesting history and demonstrates the power of faith and persistence. It will make you appreciate the hardships others have endured.
Mike Day
Apr 08, 2015 Mike Day rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource for the stories of the participants of the Willie and Martin handcart companies. If you love church history, this is a must read.
Cara Nielson
Cara Nielson rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Christina
Jun 23, 2014 Christina rated it it was amazing
Inspirational. Educational. Life Changing. Thank you Trek, for introducing me to this book.
Carolina Lively Griffith
Carolina Lively Griffith rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Rebecca Bird
Rebecca Bird rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2014
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
Markus Carter
Markus Carter rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Holly Hollinger
Holly Hollinger rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2014
Jen J
Jen J rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2015
Michele
Michele rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Jilora Stroud
Jilora Stroud rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2015
Stephanie Roberts
Stephanie Roberts rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2015
Lorraine Lee
Lorraine Lee rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2016
Bronson Lauper
Bronson Lauper rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2015
Deborah Nelson
Deborah Nelson rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2014
Valerie
Valerie rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Georgia
Georgia rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2015
Brent
Brent rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2015
Kortnie
Kortnie rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Emily Stumpf
Emily Stumpf rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
Will Colbert
Will Colbert rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2014
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Clint Walker
Clint Walker rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2015