Start by marking “Behind the Scenes at the Museum” as Want to Read:
Behind the Scenes at the Museum

Behind the Scenes at the Museum

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  18,783 ratings  ·  1,665 reviews
A family saga chronicles a century of life as four generations of Yorkshire women move through two World Wars, coronations, secrets, heartbreak, and happiness, all seen through the eyes of an inimitable narrator named Ruby Lennox. A first novel.
Hardcover, 1st American Edition, 332 pages
Published January 1st 1996 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Behind the Scenes at the Museum, please sign up.

Mary Frances
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Elaine I felt one had to keep a listing of endless characters in mind with no characteristics or emotions that are unique to any of them. It was shallow,…moreI felt one had to keep a listing of endless characters in mind with no characteristics or emotions that are unique to any of them. It was shallow, quotidian, and annoying.(less)

Violet wells
"As a family, we are genetically disposed towards having accidents."

First and foremost, this is a challenging ambitious book, more so than Life after Life. The narrative is a labyrinth of twists and turns, false trails, loops and double helixes. There’s also an awful lot to remember because for some time it isn’t obvious which details or even characters are paramount and which stuffing. It covers four generations of a family – from WW1 almost to the present day.

On the surface it’s a tragi-come
God, I can't even begin to express my depth of loathing for this book. I forced myself through to within about 60 pages of the end, but then I just couldn't bear it any more. I just didn't want to know any more about the vile people in this ridiculous family with all their dark, dirty, entirely predictable secrets.

Gaaaah! I left it behind on a plane somewhere. Should have attached a toxic warning label.
I really enjoyed this read but am finding it very hard to review without it making me sound like a rambling old biddy. There are so many things I liked about that are running through my head like little soundbites, but I can’t seem to write anything coherent about it. But I will try.

Ruby Lennox is narrating the story of her life, from the moment of her conception, through childhood, adolescence and into adulthood. Her narration is at times funny, at others sad and moving, but she has a very wry

My only experience of Kate Atkinson's writing until now has been three of the four novels in her Jackson Brodie series, which starts with Case Histories. Quirky is the obvious adjective to describe Atkinson's writing. It has lots of dry humour and sardonic wit, intricate plotting and random connections and coincidences deliberately used to advance the narrative. There's a certain flippancy in the tone which brings into sharp relief the often very serious themes with which Atkinson deals.

This is
Kate Atkinson’s first novel won the Whitbread Book of the Year in 1995, beating such heavyweights as Salman Rushdie and his The Moor's Last Sigh. Behind the Scenes at the Museum us ab ambitious book: a sprawling saga which spans decades of events and covers several generations of characters.

Behind the Scenes at the Museum opens with the birth of its all-seeing narrator, Ruby Lennox, who begins her narration literally from conception (the first chapter begins with Ruby proclaiming "I exist! at th
Is this really the same Kate Atkinson that wrote the so-so mystery novel, Case Histories?? What happened there? This was fan-freaking-tastic. Crazy family secrets, history, motherhood, war...I loved it.
This is a first novel, and it does show in a couple of places--the early chapters struggle to maintain the plausibility of such an adult authorial voice being refracted through the experience and understanding of a child, and there's at least one plot twist towards the end of the novel which I thought it could well have done without. Despite that, I really loved this book: the humour of it is just right for me, balanced right on the edge of tragedy. The prose achieves moments of real loveliness, ...more
Probably more like 2.5 stars. I absolutely adored Life After Life, so I was very much looking forward to reading on of her previous titles, but although I enjoyed her play on time in this book (referring to events in the future as well as the past while in the present) as well as her beautiful writing, there were way too many characters in the story, and because of this I didn't connect with any of them. I also thought the book could have been shorter. Maybe my expectations were just too high af ...more
This is very reminiscent of "Stone Diaries," but it has its own unique flavor. And stylistically it establishes the technique of intertwined stories that Atkinson's later novel, Case Histories, will also employ.

Ruby Lennox narrates her own life from the moment of her conception. She is a remarkably perceptive and knowledgeable zygote, and then she's a rather neglected little girl, and finally she's an unhappy teen-ager and a woman embarking on The Rest of Her Life.

Each chapter describing Ruby's
Lisa Vegan
May 13, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: if you have a warped sense of humor and enjoy novels about families
I enjoyed this book much more than most of the members of my book club. I loved Ruby, the narrator, especially as a child, and I thought that the intricate story was very clever and hilarious. The funniest parts were when Ruby was scathingly commenting about her family members, especially her sisters and parents. Terribly traumatic events happen to this family but they’re told in such a light and breezy manner (by Ruby during and before her actual lifetime) that I didn’t find the book at all dep ...more
Atkinson’s first novel is a multi-generational family tale layered on to the story from conception to adulthood of one Ruby Lennox. Atkinson has since written another four novels, the last two at least of which are mystery-thrillers, though this one is decidedly not. More a domestic melodrama with some late, though well-seeded plot twists. The crimes here are all of the hearth and heart, not of the prosecutorial sort, but considerable nonetheless. Some parts of this book are incredibly well-writ ...more
I found this book while passing through England and I thought it would be a good read. I am so glad I discovered it. The story weaves its way backward and forward through time, tracing the path of several people's lives - their loves, their deaths, their experiences. I love that it primarily tracks the women of one family and it's fascinating to see the way in which their lives intertwine.

It takes place primarily in England in the early 1950s and 1960s, but the story reaches from the late 1890s
Jan 04, 2014 Ms.pegasus rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves well-written fiction
Shelves: fiction
The year is 1951 and Atkinson gives us Ruby, our unconventional, imaginative narrator who greets us with the exuberant opening revelation: “I exist!” At this moment, our narrator has just been conceived, deep within her mother Bunty's womb. The environs provide sustenance but little else. Instead, Ruby treats us to a ring-side seat to the endless rounds of discontent played out between Bunty and her husband George. An unassuming observer, Ruby gives us the benefit of her droll commentary, able t ...more
This is one of those books i just can't get thru. The first 100 pages had so many characters, brothers, sisters, uncles, and aunts, etc...Too many names and characters to keep track of.
The second part of the book is way more interesting and funny when the character Ruby comes into play. The family is very corky and very colorful. However, i find myself never wanting to continue to read and finish this book. I also can't wait to get to read Soldier of A Great War or Middlesex.
I realize that eve
I really liked this book. I have read other books by this author, and have enjoyed them, too. This one is my favorite of hers, as well as being her first novel. The narrator is telling the story of growing up in a pretty dysfunctional family, and gives hints along the way about a surprise the reader finds at the end of the book. There is a lot of unhappiness in this story, as seen from the point of view of the narrator (through most of the book she is a very young girl), and it would be interest ...more
This book was beyond tedious. An excellent example of why our English teachers were always badgering us over run-on sentences. I never saw so many commas in my life. The narrative was endless. Endless details of the mundane and uninteresting. And it was written in a way that told me the author was reaching to write in a unique style, and that always bugs me. I will definitely be avoiding all other work by KA, as well as anything else by this author.
"Albert didn't really believe in death. The dead had just gone away somewhere and were going to come back sooner or later-they were waiting in a shadowy room that no one could see the door to, and being ministered to by his mother, who was almost certainly na angel by now."(pag.62)

"Sometimes I would like to cry. I close my eyes. Why weren't we designed so that we can close our ears as well? ( Perhaps because we would never open them." ( pag. 320)

"I have been to the world's end and back and now I
Mar 04, 2008 Juliana rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anglophiles, war buffs, sisters.
I loved this book so much that I slowed down in the middle for fear of finishing it. That was probably a mistake because there are a ton of characters to keep track of and random things are always happening to them, and I'm sure there were a few witty twists that I missed. By the time I finished, I just wanted to start over again.
Even though the story follows a tragic family, Kate Atkinson keeps her sense of humor and I caught myself laughing out loud during death scenes and mourning periods. At
Erin Malone
This is Atkinson's first novel, and I loved it for its complicated, funny coming-of-age story. The narrator's voice is right on, and led me through all the twists of the book.

Thanks to a memory lapse, I picked up this book again and though I recognized I'd already read it, I liked it just as much the second time. I think that's the mark of a very good book. --3/31/13
Megan Baxter
Behind the Scenes at the Museum is really a very good book, marred by one gimmick that frustrates me because it's so unnecessary to the story Kate Atkinson is telling.

For the most part, however, I enjoyed this one immensely. Atkinson has a knack for turns of phrase that are amusing and piercing and unexpected, and I loved these in particular. The story is meandering, and weaves back and forth in time, but it was the sort of meander I greatly enjoy.

Note: The rest of this review has been withdra

This was an all right read, but I felt so cheated by the ending that nothing else in the book could make up for it. And sadly, it's put me off Kate Atkinson forever (most likely).
This British author is quickly becoming a favorite. Her brutally honest depictions of childhood in a pre-war dysfunctional family system are insightful and engaging. I found myself simultaneously annoyed by these people and endeared to them. The intergenerational story lines illustrate beautifully how misguided family rules, beliefs and patterns are easily passed down from one generation to the next. I love the way she lets you in on what is going to happen next, so you can focus on what's going ...more
I feel like a Grinch when I read the other reviews. all raving with praise. I gave it 3 stars because it is a good read, but it's far from being all that wonderful. It starts with an embryo at the moment the sperm penetrates the ovum. The ovum introduces herself and describes the family she'll be a part of. Of course, anti-abortionists will love this, since they preach that a fertilized egg is already a person. Well, it isn't. It has no brain, no senses, no consciousness, nothing. Just a sperm t ...more
I picked this book up as part of a 3 for 2 offer in a bookshop when I had already chosen my first two and was in a rush - I didn't even read the blurb on the back, I just vaguely remembered someone telling me how good it was.

What an absolute treat then to find that this ended up being the best of the lot - infact I can honestly say that I haven't enjoyed a book so much in a long time (and I read alot). From the very first paragraph I knew I was going to enjoy Behind the Scenes at the Museum; th
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The stories of Ruby’s life and family history are adeptly intertwined through the use of footnotes. Each chapter of Ruby’s life contains a footnote that is later illuminated in a sub-chapter giving you more of an insight as to the significance of an object or phrase. Atkinson successfully blends four generations of the Lennox family through this method taking you through two World Wars and various battles closer to Ruby’s own family.
The use of the footnotes acted
Behind the Scenes of the Museum is a disappointment. I began with the Brodie mysteries and was won over. Brodie is an endearing, hapless detective who just walks into intrigue. He picks up a dog and cases and doesn't leave until everyone is in their rightful place. I was also impressed with Life After Life. I decided to read Atkinson's debut and break out novel. Maybe, it was the order which influenced my rating.

Ruby, the youngest of the Lenoxes is a remarkable character and sometime narrator. H
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
Ruby Lennox begins narrating her life at the moment of conception, and from there takes us on a whirlwind tour of the twentieth century as seen through the eyes of an English girl determined to learn about her family and its secrets.

This was one of the most intriguing books I have ever read....I love Kate Atkinson, but this is 6*
This is a story in which most of the characters are trapped in dreary lives, cursing their fates, filled with regrets, having their lives ruined (or ended) by world wars, and treating each other horribly -- and I was surprised at how deeply pleasurable it all was to read about. I couldn't stop rooting for our main character, I couldn't stop reading it, and I couldn't stand the fact that eventually the book would end. Atkinson's writing is observant and funny, and in this books she makes dire cir ...more
Evanston Public  Library
I just finished listening to this on CD and loved it so much, I'm listening to it again. Kate Atkinson's first novel won the 1995 Whitbread (now Costa) book of the year award, and ranks as one of my favorite fiction books ever. Beginning with the words "I exist”, this is the story of Ruby Lennox (“a precious jewel, a drop of blood”). It is also the story of five generations of Ruby's family from her great-grandmother Alice, to her grandmother Nell and then to her mother Bunty. Time, spanning Wor ...more
Chapters and "footnotes" alternate between two eras of a Yorkshire family saga. Many dark secrets and inter-related people, significant objects and events. Sometimes a little confusing, especially some of the men in the WW1 era. Also some of the WW1 background (rationing, fear of bombs) doesn't ring true, but that could be my ignorance. Narrated by one of the youngest memebers of the family, who, even allowing for hindsight, is ludicrously knowing and analytical about events in her early childho ...more
curious about this book 21 152 Sep 02, 2014 12:40PM
  • Eve Green
  • Sunset Song (A Scots Quair, #1)
  • Theory of War
  • Marking Time
  • Daughters Of The House
  • Our Spoons Came from Woolworths
  • The L-Shaped Room (Jane Graham, #1)
  • Wicked History Of The World
  • Invitation to the Waltz
  • Sour Sweet
  • The Man in the Wooden Hat (Old Filth, #2)
  • Still Life
  • Ulverton
  • Notes from an Exhibition
  • Music & Silence
  • The Tortoise and the Hare
  • The Sound of My Voice
  • The Millstone
Kate Atkinson was born in York and now lives in Edinburgh. Her first novel, Behind the Scenes at the Museum, won the Whitbread Book of the Year Award and she has been a critically acclaimed international bestselling author ever since.

She is the author of a collection of short stories, Not the End of the World, and of the critically acclaimed novels Human Croquet, Emotionally Weird, Case Histories,
More about Kate Atkinson...
Life After Life Case Histories (Jackson Brodie, #1) When Will There Be Good News? (Jackson Brodie, #3) Started Early, Took My Dog (Jackson Brodie, #4) One Good Turn (Jackson Brodie, #2)

“In the end, it is my belief, words are the only things that can construct a world that makes sense.” 35 likes
“I have been to the world's end and back and now I know what I would put in my bottom drawer .I would put my sisters. ” 14 likes