Start by marking “Raising Children Compassionately: Parenting the Nonviolent Communication Way” as Want to Read:
Raising Children Compassionately: Parenting the Nonviolent Communication Way

Raising Children Compassionately: Parenting the Nonviolent Communication Way

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The tenets of Nonviolent Communication are applied to a variety of settings, including the classroom and the home, in these booklets on how to resolve conflict peacefully. Illustrative exercises, sample stories, and role-playing activities offer the opportunity for self-evaluation, discovery, and application. The skills and perspectives of the Nonviolent Communication (NVC ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by PuddleDancer Press (first published November 30th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Raising Children Compassionately, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising Children Compassionately

sleeps9hours
A very short booklet, nice little intro to nonviolent communication and parenting. A good push to get me to read Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life.

Notes from the back:
Some basic feelings we all have:
When our needs are fulfilled: Amazed, confident, energetic, glad, inspired, joyous, optimistic, relieved, surprised, touched, comfortable, eager, fulfilled, hopeful, intrigued, moved, proud, stimulated, thankful, trustful.
When our needs are not fulfilled: Angry, confused, disappointed, dis
Roslyn Ross
Best little 24 page book ever! Obviously it would be cool if Rosenberg took some time to really specialize in children because it is clear from this book that Rosenberg kinda knows how to use NVC with children but... not really. It's as if he hasn't connected all the dots. Which is fine. NVC with kids is better than Standard American Parenting by far. And this is good news for me since it means the book I am writing hasn't already been written.
Sharon E.
I wish I read this book a long time ago. I strongly recommend it to anyone with children.Actually,anyone-- especially daycare workers,juvenile probation officers,grandparents and schoolteachers--who interacts with children could benefit from reading this book. It is a totally new way of looking at things for me.I especially like what Marshall said about how the reward system is punitive, because we have been so conditioned to think our children are like dogs that will respond to our cheap and di ...more
Andrew Gardner
This is an excellent resource for parents that don't want to pursue the authoritarian model of parenting that is the norm in American parenting styles. Given that the topic is somewhat out of the mainstream, the language of non-violent communication hasn't had time to mature; sometimes the language is clunky or odd to my ear, but it never gets in the way of communicating meaning.

I took away two points that I considered critically important: (1) children are people and we should speak with childr
Virginia
I didn't realize this was a booklet vs an actual book so I was disappointed in both the brevity as well as depth. I will have to check out the actual book to see if it is any better.

With that said, I did enjoy the stories and examples the author included.
Celeste
A beautiful, short read that really helped me to shift the way I view and interact with my children. Definitely challenged a lot of assumptions that were not helping my relationship with my children. Very grateful for this read!!
Sara
This is a good resource, for what it is - a 25 page booklet explaining how NVC applies to parenting. I wish it was longer, with a lot more examples, but I did like it and will likely read it several times.
Katie
Great little book. I'm familiar with most of the stories related within from my previous NVC studies, however there were two new anecdotes I had not yet heard. For some reason I had wished it would be longer, although I know it really isn't necessary to elaborate any further. Keep it simple! O->F->N->R! I think the length also increases the likelihood that a busy parent will be able to actually read it.
Heather
nice to re-read this short easy but great book full of reminders. One of the biggest reminders is how easy it is to treat a child different than an adult or other person, but they deserve the same respect as adults....we often will approach a situation differently with a child than we would the same situation with a neighbor.
Cyndi
This is a nice quick read and introduction to NVC as it applies to parenting. I think Rosenberg presents a decent alternative for those who are caught up in the cycle of bribes and threats.
Jessica
Brilliant little book, very easy to read and thought provoking.I would recommend this to ALL parents, it actually should be given to everyone before they give birth!
Mark
My first read in this series on nonviolent communication. Much of what is said rings true, though it remains to be seen if I can put it in practice.
Kelly Elmore
Very compatible with PD, enjoyed the anecdotes, light on details of exactly how to apply this method.
Maryellen
Lots of good ideas and inspirations and insight. A little short on specifics.
Dani
Great small book that pulls you to desire digging deeper. Starting NVC now. :)
Colleen
Great read but could really just have been a chapter in his other book.
this slim volume is worth your time.
Pawel Menich
Pawel Menich marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Crystal Gail
Crystal Gail marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Kim Nickerson nutt
Kim Nickerson nutt marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Natfoxxfiends
Natfoxxfiends marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Robin Hansen
Robin Hansen marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
  • Respectful Parents, Respectful Kids: 7 Keys to Turn Family Conflict into Cooperation
  • Connection Parenting: Parenting Through Connection Instead of Coercion, Through Love Instead of Fear
  • Above All, Be Kind: Raising a Humane Child in Challenging Times
  • The Natural Child: Parenting from the Heart
  • Sharing Nature with Children: The Classic Parents' & Teachers' Nature Awareness Guidebook
  • Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves
  • Living Simply with Children: A Voluntary Simplicity Guide for Moms, Dads, and Kids Who Want to Reclaim the Bliss of Childhood and the Joy of Parenting
  • Kids Are Worth It!: Giving Your Child the Gift of Inner Discipline
  • Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles: Winning for a Lifetime
  • Unconditional Parenting: Moving from Rewards and Punishments to Love and Reason
  • Hold On to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers
  • Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting
  • Liberated Parents, Liberated Children: Your Guide to a Happier Family
  • Learning All The Time
  • Parent Effectiveness Training: The Proven Program for Raising Responsible Children
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
  • How to Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way
  • Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child
Marshall Rosenberg is an American psychologist and the creator of Nonviolent Communication, a communication process that helps people to exchange the information necessary to resolve conflicts and differences peacefully. He is the founder and Director of Educational Services for the Center for Nonviolent Communication, an international non-profit organization.

In 1961, Rosenberg received his Ph.D.
More about Marshall B. Rosenberg...
Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life Speak Peace in a World of Conflict: What You Say Next Will Change Your World The Surprising Purpose of Anger: Beyond Anger Management: Finding the Gift Speaking Peace: Connecting with Others Through Nonviolent Communication Being Me, Loving You: A Practical Guide to Extraordinary Relationships