Start by marking “Raising Children Compassionately: Parenting the Nonviolent Communication Way” as Want to Read:
Raising Children Compassionately: Parenting the Nonviolent Communication Way

Raising Children Compassionately: Parenting the Nonviolent Communication Way

The tenets of "Nonviolent Communication" are applied to a variety of settings, including the classroom and the home, in these booklets on how to resolve conflict peacefully. Illustrative exercises, sample stories, and role-playing activities offer the opportunity for self-evaluation, discovery, and application.
The skills and perspectives of the Nonviolent Communication (N
Published September 1st 2004 by PuddleDancer Press (first published November 30th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Raising Children Compassionately, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising Children Compassionately

Mar 07, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is almost like a pamphlet and represents one chapter out of the Living Nonviolent Communication book. I had checked both books out from the library, and after reading this chapter, I feel like I have a general sense of the overarching themes and decided against reading the slightly longer (less than 150 pages) full book.

He speaks mostly towards opening up communication to understand each others' needs and address those rather than use authority or less effective tools to address issues. It
Nov 21, 2008 sleeps9hours rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very short booklet, nice little intro to nonviolent communication and parenting. A good push to get me to read Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life.

Notes from the back:
Some basic feelings we all have:
When our needs are fulfilled: Amazed, confident, energetic, glad, inspired, joyous, optimistic, relieved, surprised, touched, comfortable, eager, fulfilled, hopeful, intrigued, moved, proud, stimulated, thankful, trustful.
When our needs are not fulfilled: Angry, confused, disappointed, dis
Roslyn Ross
Feb 12, 2014 Roslyn Ross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best little 24 page book ever! Obviously it would be cool if Rosenberg took some time to really specialize in children because it is clear from this book that Rosenberg kinda knows how to use NVC with children but... not really. It's as if he hasn't connected all the dots. Which is fine. NVC with kids is better than Standard American Parenting by far. And this is good news for me since it means the book I am writing hasn't already been written.
Sharon E.
Mar 09, 2008 Sharon E. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I read this book a long time ago. I strongly recommend it to anyone with children.Actually,anyone-- especially daycare workers,juvenile probation officers,grandparents and schoolteachers--who interacts with children could benefit from reading this book. It is a totally new way of looking at things for me.I especially like what Marshall said about how the reward system is punitive, because we have been so conditioned to think our children are like dogs that will respond to our cheap and di ...more
Andrew Gardner
Aug 14, 2011 Andrew Gardner rated it really liked it
This is an excellent resource for parents that don't want to pursue the authoritarian model of parenting that is the norm in American parenting styles. Given that the topic is somewhat out of the mainstream, the language of non-violent communication hasn't had time to mature; sometimes the language is clunky or odd to my ear, but it never gets in the way of communicating meaning.

I took away two points that I considered critically important: (1) children are people and we should speak with childr
Jun 26, 2014 Virginia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting, read-2014
I didn't realize this was a booklet vs an actual book so I was disappointed in both the brevity as well as depth. I will have to check out the actual book to see if it is any better.

With that said, I did enjoy the stories and examples the author included.
Nov 02, 2014 Celeste rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful, short read that really helped me to shift the way I view and interact with my children. Definitely challenged a lot of assumptions that were not helping my relationship with my children. Very grateful for this read!!
Jul 15, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good resource, for what it is - a 25 page booklet explaining how NVC applies to parenting. I wish it was longer, with a lot more examples, but I did like it and will likely read it several times.
Aug 24, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great little book. I'm familiar with most of the stories related within from my previous NVC studies, however there were two new anecdotes I had not yet heard. For some reason I had wished it would be longer, although I know it really isn't necessary to elaborate any further. Keep it simple! O->F->N->R! I think the length also increases the likelihood that a busy parent will be able to actually read it.
Aug 11, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
nice to re-read this short easy but great book full of reminders. One of the biggest reminders is how easy it is to treat a child different than an adult or other person, but they deserve the same respect as adults....we often will approach a situation differently with a child than we would the same situation with a neighbor.
Aug 17, 2010 Cyndi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice quick read and introduction to NVC as it applies to parenting. I think Rosenberg presents a decent alternative for those who are caught up in the cycle of bribes and threats.
Feb 23, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant little book, very easy to read and thought provoking.I would recommend this to ALL parents, it actually should be given to everyone before they give birth!
Mar 15, 2010 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first read in this series on nonviolent communication. Much of what is said rings true, though it remains to be seen if I can put it in practice.
Aug 14, 2013 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very compatible with PD, enjoyed the anecdotes, light on details of exactly how to apply this method.
Jan 20, 2009 Maryellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of good ideas and inspirations and insight. A little short on specifics.
Great small book that pulls you to desire digging deeper. Starting NVC now. :)
May 23, 2012 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read but could really just have been a chapter in his other book.
Jul 11, 2016 Jodie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neat idea for parenting. I will read the next book.
Jan 24, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this slim volume is worth your time.
Emer Antar
Apr 25, 2013 Emer Antar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
short but excellent
Ela Matisse
Ela Matisse marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2016
Sabina marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2016
Emilie marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2016
Shana marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2016
Peter Sellars
Peter Sellars marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2016
Iman Castaneda
Iman Castaneda marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2016
Volo marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2016
Michael marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2016
Karla marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
April marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
  • Connection Parenting: Parenting Through Connection Instead of Coercion, Through Love Instead of Fear
  • Respectful Parents, Respectful Kids: 7 Keys to Turn Family Conflict into Cooperation
  • The Natural Child: Parenting from the Heart
  • Above All, Be Kind: Raising a Humane Child in Challenging Times
  • Sharing Nature with Children: The Classic Parents' & Teachers' Nature Awareness Guidebook
  • Living Simply with Children: A Voluntary Simplicity Guide for Moms, Dads, and Kids Who Want to Reclaim the Bliss of Childhood and the Joy of Parenting
  • Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves
  • Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles: Winning for a Lifetime
  • Liberated Parents, Liberated Children: Your Guide to a Happier Family
  • Learning All The Time
  • Kids Are Worth It!: Giving Your Child the Gift of Inner Discipline
  • Unconditional Parenting: Moving from Rewards and Punishments to Love and Reason
  • Parent Effectiveness Training: The Proven Program for Raising Responsible Children
  • Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting
  • Calm and Compassionate Children: A Handbook
  • Hold On to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers
  • Adventures in Gentle Discipline: A Parent-to-Parent Guide (La Leche League International Book)
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
Marshall Rosenberg is an American psychologist and the creator of Nonviolent Communication, a communication process that helps people to exchange the information necessary to resolve conflicts and differences peacefully. He is the founder and Director of Educational Services for the Center for Nonviolent Communication, an international non-profit organization.

In 1961, Rosenberg received his Ph.D.
More about Marshall B. Rosenberg...