Start by marking “The Devil Walks” as Want to Read:
The Devil Walks

The Devil Walks

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  29 reviews
"The devil walks... But the devil can make no headway if he has no help. We must invite him in..."

Raised in secrecy by a mother everyone thinks has gone mad, Daniel's only link to his past is the intricately built model of the family home -- High Gates. The dolls' house is perfect in every detail. As Daniel is reunited with the last remaining member of his family -- his 'u
Published July 7th 2011 by Doubleday Childrens

I first discovered Anne Fine as a school girl, when we studied Flour Babies in my English class – I loved the story and devoured many more of her books throughout my younger years, I remember being completely terrified by Tulip Touch. However, it’s been many years since I’ve read an Anne Fine novel so I was really excited to hear about The Devil Walks at the RHCB Blogger Brunch at the beginning of this year.

I received a review copy as soon as they became available and read it the day it arrived.
Serendipity Reviews
Oh my, this was a deliciously dark tale. From the beginning, you are quite disturbed by Daniel's mother, who appears to be quite insane. You are desperate for him to be taken out of her care and find yourself wondering a little if she suffers from Munchhausen Syndrome by Proxy. Clearly, she has some issues, if she is raising her son, never to leave his bedroom and keeping him in bed night and day, convincing him that he is ill.

Luckily he is discovered by a neighbour and sent to live with the lo
Jonathan Hill
Since getting my Kindle, I have read several books aimed at readers younger than myself. Last year, I lapped up 'The Hunger Games' trilogy and I'm not ashamed to say I loved David Walliams' 'Mr Stink'! Today I finished another book for youngsters.

'The Devil Walks' by Anne Fine is a gothic horror novel aimed at older children. The book starts by introducing us to Daniel, who is bed-bound and closely watched over by his mother. We soon learn there is nothing whatsoever wrong with the boy. But why
Harrison Long
I have read quite a few supernatural novels before but this book piqued my interest. Anne has written many books which are aimed at people of all ages. 'The Devil Walks' is rather aimed at people in their later adolescence and is full of mystery which readers can enjoy trying to unravel before the end. *Spoiler Alert*

This story tells of Daniel who is taken from his house and protective mother by a doctor and placed to live with his family. He enjoyed his time of living with his family but learns
Adele Broadbent
Daniel has always believed he was a sickly child, kept inside and bedridden most of the time. When neighbours report this to the local doctor, he tricks Daniel's mother into letting him inside and he rescues Daniel from his room. His mother is admitted to the local asylum.

When his mum hangs herself, there is little for Daniel to inherit, other than a very large, exquisitely made doll's house – an exact replica scale model of the great house in which his mother grew up in.

But why did she hide him
Kirsty (overflowing library)
The Devil walks is the first Anne Fine I have read in years. I remember her as an author of funny childrens books and was geniunely blown away by how different her latest offering is and how it was certainly not some I would have associated with her.

The devil walks is one of those books that both makes you think and leaves you a little bit unsettled. I liked that the story kept with me for a day or two after I finished it and kept playing on my mind.

At the start of the books you meet Daniel. He

About a week ago, I finished my first novel written by Anne Fine called The Devil Walks. Although I’m not quite familiar with the author, but I could tell that she is very talented. She is able to easily hold onto the audience’s attention, and leaving an unforgettable memory for all readers.

It is obvious that the author put in tons of effort just within the cover, the font as well as the color of the title, which matches perfectly with the dark and gloomy background. We know that t
Lee Landes
This is a scary book with the creepiest doll's house I've encountered.

It's set in Victorian times and Daniel is kept in a sick room, confined to bed by his Mother and that is all he's ever known. One day he is rescued by a local doctor and his mother is taken away to hospital.

It soon turns out that Daniel isn't sick at all but he has nothing but loving memories of his mother and so he is perplexed by what her motives could have been in hiding him away. All goes well, however, as Daniel is then
Dec 29, 2012 Namrata rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children
I read this book because it was nominated for the Redbridge Book Awards, which i wanted to attend. I wouldnt say this book is bad- it really isn't- but its not the best; I've read better. I like how it is set during the past, and the way its written is pretty good. However, it failed to grip me and so it took me a while to finish it.

So we are introduced to a boy called Daniel, who has practically been under house-arrest for all of his life. His mother is mentally ill and has brought the kid up,

“The Devil Walks” is a gothic thriller for older children and just the right kind of book to curl up with as the nights draw in. Our tale is narrated by Daniel who has spent his childhood years sequestered in his bedroom, a reclusive invalid cared for by his widowed mother. However, all is not as it seems, it turns out that Daniel’s background is shrouded in secrecy and as his story progresses, we discover what dark and dastardly skeletons lurk in the family vaults.

I’m deliberately not giving aw
Kayleigh Dolly D'Andilly

I hate to give one star ratings. I mean how much time and work must go into getting a book published? So for someone to flat out not like your work seems so harsh but this was just pure boredom!

It sounds like it should be a good spooky story with a lot of atmosphere. When the book arrived it had some pretty child friendly pictures in it, so I then realised that this was going to be a Y.A book. This was fine I now knew I wasn’t going to get scary but I was hoping for something a little dark an
This book was ok.

Kasey Keeley Weir
A wonderfully creepy story completely ruined by the reliance on extraordinarily caricaturish, racist tropes about "primitive" tribes practicing human sacrifice and "Voodoo" magic. WHY?!?!?!
I loved this book, but not sure the suicide was appropriate for certain age groups
ooh, this was a fine thrill! It gave me the chill, and was entertaining all the way :)
Silvia Chenel
Its OK. I have read better books ...more
Lu en VF, Le Passage du diable chez L'école des Loisirs.
Un roman d'inspiration gothique... glacial mais envoûtant.
Wow what a wonderful, creepy story! Since discovering Ursula Dubosarsky's thesis on dolls house stories (and her strange, mysterious book Abyssinia) I've sought out similar books. This book reads like M R James for the 8-12 set. Brilliantly atmospheric, hard to see where the plot is going next. The kind of book to gobble up in one go by candlelight.
J'aurais peut-être eu plus de plaisir à le lire en anglais. Gentil, étrange (cet enfant que sa mère couve de façon maladive), mais pas l'ombre de l'humour dont nous sommes habitués chez cet auteur.
This really was not what I expected and, boy, was I glad about that! This book really did keep me enthralled, It always had me guessing and surprised when the truth came out. Loved it, I recommend it to anyone who likes slight underlays of voodoo and murder...
Like all Anne Fine's books, this one is very well-crafted. It's a Gothic tale written in Emily Bronte's style, like Wuthering Heights for a younger audience. But decide for yourself! Read The Devil Walks!
A great Gothic story with strong believable characters. Anne Fine at her best.
Jun 01, 2015 Sam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: s2
Meh. Ok book, boring and confusing as times *yawn*.
Kate B
An effective gothic tale for 12+
Good kids suspense fiction.
A 'fun' but dark book!
3.5 stars..creepy story.
  • The Ransom of Dond
  • Bloodchild
  • Being Billy
  • Freaks
  • Close Your Pretty Eyes
  • The 13th Horseman (Afterworlds, #1)
  • Winds of Change (Royal Navy, #2)
  • La Malédiction de Boucle d'or
  • The Shell House
  • Luke And Jon
  • Unique
  • Purgatory: A Novel of the Civil War
  • Ferryman
  • The Vanished
  • The Cracked Mirror (The Promises of Dr. Sigmundus, #2)
  • Out of Shadows
  • Tinder
  • The Wall
Though readers often find themselves inadvertently laughing aloud as they read Anne Fine's novels, as she herself admits, "a lot of my work, even for fairly young readers, raises serious social issues. Growing up is a long and confusing business. I try to show that the battle through the chaos is worthwhile and can, at times, be seen as very funny." In 1994, this unique combination of humour and r ...more
More about Anne Fine...
Madame Doubtfire The Tulip Touch Flour Babies The Diary of a Killer Cat (The Killer Cat, #1) Bill's New Frock