Start by marking “Sea Change: Poems” as Want to Read:
Sea Change: Poems

Sea Change: Poems

The New York Times has said that "Jorie Graham's poetry is among the most sensuously embodied and imaginative writing we have," and this new collection is a reminder of how startling, original, and deeply relevant her poetry is. In Sea Change, Graham brings us to the once-unimaginable threshold at which civilization as we know it becomes unsustainable. How might the human ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published April 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sea Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sea Change

Jul 10, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've got a sick fascination with Jorie Graham. I studied her work in preparation for the written exam of my MFA, and I found interesting her use of a long line (in some collections--each collection has a different form), her concern with the present moment (Vendler has commented on her -ing verbs) and the delay before action, and her use of a self-conscious voice of a poet addressing a reader which comes through now and then.

All of those concerns are present in this latest collection, and the th
Jun 05, 2008 Lightsey marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I've added this because I just read the review by Helen Vendler in The NY Review of Books. Vendler's review's not that interesting--basically Vendler casting her vote (again) for Graham as Major Poet of Our Age--but it did remind me that I've never quite worked out my reaction to Graham's work. (I've read a number of her books once, fully intending to read them again, and then never returned.)
Vendler deals with a number of objections to Graham's poetry (inaccessibility, etc), but she doesn't dea
Through most of this lovely collection I could never quite rid myself of the sensation that my mind was little more than a sieve, unable to grasp ahold of the overarching narratives presented in each poem...

But after a few poems I realized I was just fine with that, that I was perfectly content to submerge myself the music and lyricism and rhythm of Graham's lines and elegant cobwebs of phrases and words, content to stumble upon quiet pockets of transcendence...

...there is not mistake, the right
Maggie Glover
Oct 14, 2008 Maggie Glover rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure you'll be shocked to hear how much I loved this book. But I did. I frickin loved it.
Jaffa Kintigh
Jan 05, 2015 Jaffa Kintigh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I first read this collection when it was new 6 years ago. A few months ago, I re-read Graham's Erosion . I like this collection. However, I have a feeling that I like it, despite it. It claims to be a collection of poems on the cover, but I envision the book as one extended long poem divided into sections and then "poems." The entire book uses the same invented line form to explore the environment, the weather, the natural water cycles and civilization. The themes ricochet through the pieces , ...more
Though gone are the early days of her writing when Jorie could bewitch me with nearly every line, when her poems were more tapestry than crazy quilt, this book still contains a number of beautiful, true moments among all the incidental pastiches.

It seems the scientist has overtaken the poet in this collection, with the urge to record every last impulse -- however minute and trivial -- overwhelming, for the most part. But Jorie is a trooper, when it comes to sheer stamina, and never lacks for a s
Karyna Mcglynn
Jul 12, 2009 Karyna Mcglynn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This is Graham phoning it in. It's like this book was composed in some chill room while coming down from the triumph of Overlord. Graham tries very hard to stay out of her own way here and forefront ecological concerns, but she's ultimately preaching to the choir and I'm left wondering what Graham wants from me. There are moments when I felt that my patience was starting to pay off--clusters of poetry like pretty pieces of beach glass that I started to reach for, only to discover that it was a t ...more
Jan 29, 2016 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poetry is very personal, an acknowledged poet might hold minimal appeal to one reader and speak measure to another. I am taken by the works of Sharon Olds, Dorriane Laux and Robert Hass and those whose language feels beautiful in the mouth, begs to be read aloud for the pure joy of the way the words lean against one another.
So I am personally not the best to review Jorie Graham's work, do not allow this to dissuade you from selecting this collection, because you might find it excellent.
May 11, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: po-eh-tree
I found myself tuning in and out while reading these. I don't know if that's what is supposed to happen but it almost seems intentional with the various line lengths that snake about. I felt most of this poetry was on a level of consciousness higher than what I could comprehend while I was reading, so I intend to allow more time to explore and let the poems unfold. For now, I'm satisfied letting them float slightly above me, because I know I'm not done with them.
Mar 14, 2013 Jeca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first experience with Jorie Graham beyond an interview in The Paris Review. And I simply loved a handful of poems. Loved. Nearing Dawn, Root End, Undated Lullaby, No Long Way Round.

Read the interview, then the book. You can't go wrong.
Sep 23, 2009 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A difficult book to finish. It took several sessions as this summer came to a close.

I read this one only outdoors -- not sure what that has to do with a review, but there it is...

Despite its difficulty - or perhaps because of it - I really liked this one.
Louise Chambers
Nov 23, 2008 Louise Chambers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poets and readers of poetry
Recommended to Louise by: Denver Public Library
Shelves: poetry, ecology
Her long line poems are wonderful and challenged the way that I have read poems in the past, as most modern poetry seems to be written with a very short line. The poems, some joyful, some mournful, are to me an anthem to all life on planet Earth.
Interesting and evocative with tell-tell hints of nature, however the structure threw me off a bit and make it difficult to immerse myself in her writing.
Beth J
Nov 27, 2012 Beth J rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry

I guess I am just not someone who enjoys this type of poetry. I'll leave it to poetry 'pros'.
Jun 11, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: environmentalists
the media darling of poetry has gone green!

still, dynamic pieces; more accessible than previous works.
David Lee
David Lee rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2011
Mikl Paul
Mikl Paul rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2012
Louise rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2008
Ana rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2013
Maeve O'Brien
Maeve O'Brien rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2010
Kevin Holden
Kevin Holden rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2011
John rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2009
Kwame Dawes
Kwame Dawes rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2014
Ensembleorganum rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Ryan Biracree
Ryan Biracree rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2011
Lillian Cravotta-crouch
Lillian Cravotta-crouch rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2014
steve rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2008
Zeneida rated it really liked it
May 13, 2014
Crystal rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2015
Amber rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Blue Estuaries
  • The Age of Huts (compleat)
  • Rising, Falling, Hovering
  • Modern Life
  • Skin, Inc.: Identity Repair Poems
  • Hinge & Sign: Poems, 1968-1993
  • Human Dark with Sugar
  • The Collected Poems of Weldon Kees (Revised Edition)
  • Winter Stars
  • Case Sensitive
  • Say Uncle
Jorie Graham was born in New York City in 1950, the daughter of a journalist and a sculptor. She was raised in Rome, Italy and educated in French schools. She studied philosophy at the Sorbonne in Paris before attending New York University as an undergraduate, where she studied filmmaking. She received an MFA in poetry from the University of Iowa.

Graham is the author of numerous collections of poe
More about Jorie Graham...