Start by marking “Preacher, Volume 6: War in the Sun” as Want to Read:
Preacher, Volume 6: War in the Sun

Preacher, Volume 6: War in the Sun (Preacher #6)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  11,716 ratings  ·  124 reviews
The Reverend Jesse Custer faces his deadliest challenge yet in this, the sixth Preacher collection. Jesse, along with his gun-toting girlfriend, Tulip, and the hard-drinking Irish vampire Cassidy, faces a deadly showdown in the desert with the ruthless Starr and the forces of the U.S. military -- including a nuclear warhead.
Published March 1st 1999 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Preacher, Volume 6, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Preacher, Volume 6

Watchmen by Alan MooreMaus, I by Art SpiegelmanCalvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonV for Vendetta by Alan MooreMaus, II by Art Spiegelman
Best Graphic Novels and Comic Books
71st out of 352 books — 271 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank Miller
Required Reading Graphic Novels
272nd out of 738 books — 1,185 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephen
In this latest brilliantly blasphemous installment of Preacher, you’ll find another hefty dose of Garth Ennis gold as he deftly advances the God vs Jesse vs Saint of Killers vs The Grail main story arc and also manages to hit a home run with a much anticipated backstory that is entertaining as hell. Yes, there is much for fans of the series to fawn over starting with One Man’s War.
Photobucket

This terrific piece recounts, at long last, the origin of Herr Starr, the Grail’s current “All Father” and relentle...more
Brandon
If you were heating up a pot of water, War in The Sun would exist in that time frame seconds before the water boils over and soaks the stove.

Much like that water, tensions are beginning to rise. Cassidy and Tulip are teetering on the edge of mutually assured destruction, the Saint of Killers makes an appearance and Herr Starr is ready to unleash the big guns in his quest for power.

One of the characters we were still left in the dark about had been Herr Starr. Granted, we known bits and pieces of...more
Kemper
If Preacher was a TV series, then the preview for the events here would have dramatic music and the voiceover would ominously say something like, “This is where everything changes.”

The voodoo encounter with the giant snake in New Orleans *shudder* gave Jesse some info from the Genesis entity that bonded to him, but he needs more if he’s going to track down God. The trio heads to Monument Valley in Utah so Jesse can score some peyote to go on a desert vision quest to see if he can get more clues...more
Melki
Once you get this far along in the series, it's fairly easy to predict that when a character named Mr. Dicks is introduced, (view spoiler) Bwa-ha-ha-ha!
Gavin
After enjoying Vol 6 of the Boys so much, I jumped right into another Garth Ennis Vol 6.
Preacher finally shakes some things up here, but we start with the backstory for Starr, the new head of the Grail and how he ended up where we see him today. Equal parts badass and funny; a combo mastered by Ennis and few others.
We also see thing escalate to ridiculous levels, including Starr trying to nuke the Saint of Killers in Monument Valley..ya, that happened.
There's also a new development with the Cust...more
Charlie George
My favorite back-story after Jody is that of Herr Starr. It's a shame it ended up in this weak book 6 compilation, set in the Monument Valley desert.

Don't get me wrong, there are as usual a few choice moments, such as Tulip outmaneuvering the Grail on the .50 cal; Featherstone rescuing Starr from the bad-ass colonel; Starr's escape from the stereotypical cannibals; The Saint going to war against a regiment of modern armor, culminating in a nuclear strike, after which he dusts himself off and of...more
The Flooze
War in the Sun returns to the all-action, all-crazy, completely screwed up plot lines that are the standard of the Preacher series. Beginning with Herr Starr’s induction into the Grail, this sixth installment shows his motivations and his plan for forcing order on the world. Unfortunately for Starr, bringing his plan to fruition proves harder than he ever imagined.

Jesse continues his search for access to Genesis’ knowledge. This time around, he’s heading out to the desert, getting hyped up on p...more
Anton
So, I've burned through the first six volumes of this series and gone back to jack up my rating to a four star. I'm not sure if it deserves it. It's pretty damned offensive at times and overall insane and ridiculous. A love letter to American violence. Lots of blasphemy, cannibalism, castration, and faces getting blown off and horribly deformed. Lots of big skies and fire and highways and the great cities of the US: New York, New Orleans, San Francisco. Lots of guns, obviously. Conspiracies. Mea...more
DeAnna Knippling
Starr's backstory. The carrying forward of Starr, breaking down into blind hypocrisy. A battle in the desert. Arseface's dream.
JB
This volume starts with a look in the past of Starr. How he went from a spec ops soldier to an agent of the Grail, to the second in command of the Grail, to becoming the allfather himself.

Jesse and Tulip are still head over heels in love with eachother. They, togheter with Cassidy are on their way to an indian reservation, following the angel father of Genesis' advice to unlock Genesis' memories.
When they get there they are ambushed by Starr, the Grail and a US tank squad. The Saint of Killers...more
Faye
By far one of the most exciting Preacher books. My heartbeat literally got faster. There was so much tension. Amazing blend of action and personal affairs. Garth Ennis is just so talented at creating characters that literally pop off the page. Somewhere there really is a Jesse Custer who just fainted wondering WTF... and I have to go find the next damn issue to find out what happens! I'm a Preacher addict.
Keith Moser
Well, I'm 2/3 done this series & I'm feeling good about it. While this volume still doesn't deal much with Jesse's main plan to hunt down God, it does have some serious plot development and good story telling.

We open with backstory on Herr Starr, and you actually feel for him (or at least I did). There's a lot more Grail history here too which is nice because I feel the last time we were with the Grail was back in Vol 2?

But, there's a reason this volume is called War in the Sun--we get a pre...more
Eric
May 14, 2012 Eric rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone that reads graphic novels
This issue contains the back story of Herr Starr, an earth-shattering confrontation between Jesse, Cassidy, Tulip, Starr, the U.S. military and the Saint of Killers in the deserts of Utah, and some short vignettes about Arseface's rising musical career. It also leaves off on a rather tragic cliffhanger, so reader beware.
Brad
This volume is different from the others in that the issues that arise actually function as obstacles to Jesse's quest (view spoiler) And though his methods are extremely over-the-top, Herr Starr's quest (view spoiler) is a more compelling purpose than any other character's in the story, and thematically related to Jesse's. Ennis is still a long way from being a good storyteller in t...more
Freya
Well I think so far it has been the quickest read of the Preacher series. The story has come to it's peak, and hopefully will stay there for the final three books. The ending left me needing more, I can't wait to make a start on volume 7!!!
Lynda
While I liked this, it was my least favorite of the series so far. Somewhat disjointed. Liked Arseface in Redemption, Texas.
Imogen
Oh wait, no, this one is the one with Ennis's army guy boner. Whatever. I like it when they blow everybody up. SPOILER
MissAnnThrope
01 January 2013

Oh, Herr Starr, how I love thee. You sick, twisted, detestably fun bastard, you!

Preacher, Vol. 6: War in the Sun starts off with the origin story of how Herr Starr joined the Grail. He is a wildly fascinating character. His blatant honesty is refreshing and hilarious. He had me laughing out loud, especially when he attends a dinner with important political figures.

The overall plot is interesting. Heck, how could you find sexual perversions, cannibals, and nuclear attacks boring? H...more
Rachel
This volume is like volume 3 as it is chocked full of storyline and action! It starts out with Herr Starr's story of how he got into the Grail and worked his way up the ranks. The new Allfather enlists the help of the American military, via his connections to the President, to help kill the Saint of Killers, so he can get to Jesse Custer. Cassidy apologizes to Tulip for his behavior, then ends up hanging out with Jesse philosophizing about life. The gang (Jesse, Tulip and Cassidy) head to Monume...more
Jess
Preacher Volume 6: War in the Sun begins by revealing more about the mysterious Allfather Herr Starr of the Grail, though really reveals nothing we didn't already know or assume: he's ruthlessly ambitious, cold-hearted and relentless. Although, the story about the scar over his eye was pretty cool, and his calculated retribution against those that scarred him. Despite Herr Starr's supposed position as the embodiment of evil, I can't help but like him a little bit. I don't know why.

Jesse, Tulip &...more
Gef
I have enjoyed this series far too much to bother being offended by some of the depictions and subject matter. Ennis and Dillon do just too good a job to warrant scorn. And I'm not sure exactly how many more volumes there are in this series, but I've been savoring each one, dreading the moment when I read the last one.

With War in the Sun, the inevitable showdown between Reverend Jesse Custer and the Saint of Killers finally happens. And after that encounter ends the only way it could have, and n...more
Simon
This story arc is a good microcosm of "Preacher" so far: Lucky to have as many things done right as it does, and have a thought-provoking story with more or less well-handled main characters at its core, because if it *didn't*... then the tacked-on silliness would capsize and sink.

What's interesting here is that as many of Jesse, Tulip and especially Cassidy's personality flaws become more and more apparent as they struggle with them through the story? The reader also gets seriously inside the h...more
Julie Decker
The Grail is a powerful organization, and it's after Jesse and his Genesis entity, with Herr Starr at the helm. We learn of his rise to power and then watch what it can do. This one involves a lot more action and stakes and firepower (though not necessarily more blood) compared with other volumes, and the ending leads you immediately to picking up the next one.
Adam Smith
Probably the best writing in the series so far. I was actually interested in Herr Starr's back story and the whole 'battle in the desert' was really captivating. And then the "downfall" of two major characters at the end was rather engrossing. This is the best Preacher has done so far. I actually looking forward to finishing this series now (after a very disappointing few comics).
Andrew
I realize that six volumes in is way too late to START getting offended by "Preacher," but I gotta say, the treatment of characters with developmental disabilities in this series is really starting to piss me off. The depictions in this volume severely limited my reading enjoyment. That's not to say that this would have been a stellar entry into the "Preacher" series anyways. We get Herr Starr's backstory, but it doesn't tell us much that we didn't already know about the cold blooded bastard. A...more
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/931950.html[return][return]Hmm. More in the series of the eponymous preacher, his girlfriend and his Irish vampire colleague; here we get the back-story to one of the villains, a sinister German, and a nuclear attack fails to take out any of our main characters. I am wondering if I will persevere with this series. I don't like what appears to be a consistent tone of mocking people with disabilities. Arseface seems more and more presented as comic relief; but what is re...more
Erik
When I hit up the holds shelf of my local public library, the last four volumes of Preacher were there waiting. The timing was perfect, being on spring break. But I did feel a bit of sadness knowing that all good things…Okay, I’ll quit being the sap that Ennis would like spit at. (But I think you catch my drift.)

War in the Sun is a more than apt title for the beginning of these last storylines. Jesse Custer and crew confront not just the ominous Saint of Killers in the wastelands of Arizona dese...more
Hayden
I'll keep this review short, considering if you're already this far into Preacher, you're not going to stop here. I enjoyed finally getting some character development behind Herr Starr, and the epic climax was pretty fantastic, but it didn't really blow my mind like some of the past books did. I'm also not really digging how Ennis has turned Arseface and Saint of Killers into 'good guys'. I've honestly thought the two were some of the greatest comic book villains I've ever seen, and was really h...more
Barry
Mostly great, as usual. Hilarious, wrong, wacky, bizarre, disturbing, strangely touching, and just plain awesome. (I actually laughed like I was with an old friend when Jesse said to Cass at one point, "God doesn't stand a chance.") My only problem is a minor one, but it was there nonetheless: some of the time/space passages near the end were a little confusing.

S P O I L E R S

Everything from the atomic blast onward were just...hard to follow. Just how the heck did Herr Starr wind up in that fa...more
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 10: One More Time (Transmetropolitan, #10)
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 9: Strychnine Lives
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 6: Girl on Girl (Y: The Last Man, #6)
  • Lucifer, Vol. 9: Crux (Lucifer, #9)
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ch...more
More about Garth Ennis...
Preacher, Volume 1: Gone to Texas Preacher, Volume 2: Until the End of the World Preacher, Volume 3: Proud Americans Preacher, Volume 9: Alamo Preacher, Volume 5: Dixie Fried

“It doesn`t matter who you are,or how good you got things. Sooner or later,shit goes wrong for everybody. Sooner or later,there comes a time when all you want to do is shout Fuck you to the world.” 9 likes