Start by marking “The Bigger the Better, the Tighter the Sweater: 21 Funny Women on Beauty, Body Image, and Other Hazards of Being Female” as Want to Read:

Getting undressed for the dreaded seventh-grade gym class. Feeling fascinated with, yet disgusted by, the fashion magazines full of perfect, unattainable bodies. Enduring the pain of a bikini wax or suffering the ramifications of overplucked brows.
Like all women, the contributors to The Bigger the Better, the Tighter the Sweater have been there and lived to tell the tale.
Published June 22nd 2007 by Seal Press (first published June 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Bigger the Better, the Tighter the Sweater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bigger the Better, the Tighter the Sweater

Jennifer Taggart
May 27, 2009 Jennifer Taggart rated it it was amazing
Biased view since this is my sis!
Lauren
Oct 30, 2007 Lauren rated it it was ok
I am not in love with this book. It was fine plane reading, but didn't really enlighten me on women's body issues. Granted, the preface stated that it's purpose was "not to make you feel better about yourself," but rather to know that other women share and sympathize with your issues. Isn't that what I went to feminist college for? And for all the talk of these essays being funny, I wasn't laughing that often. I found many to be rambling and often not very cohesive. Save yourself the money and ...more
Feb 09, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing
An excellent collection of truly humorous, poignant and thought-provoking essays. Any female reader will identify with and recognize herself in at least one of these pieces. The topics run the gamut from boob size to post pregnancy body blues, and the subjects are treated with humor, honesty and pathos. As the authors say, you might not feel better about yourself or your body after reading this, but you will know for sure that you are not alone.
Jenny Mcdermott
Feb 03, 2008 Jenny Mcdermott rated it really liked it
This book is a collection of hilarious essays written by women on body image. I laughed out loud reading the chapter titled "My Life as a Mammal". I recommend if you are having one of those days where you need some chick time. Basically, every woman has an area of her self image where she is crazy . . . . .
Apr 30, 2009 Emily rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Not nearly as applicable to my life as I thought it would be. I was anticipating stories about encounters with prejudice, inappropriate sexual come-ons, dealing with the fact that having boobs makes you somehow more likely to be considered helpless, but this was really focused on what happens as you get old. Or have babies. I think I could have gotten more reading the Oprah magazine.
Sep 24, 2007 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, essays
An uneven, but entertaining collection of essays on female body image. Covers subjects like breast size, pregnancy, aging, infertility, adolescent sexual awakening, and more. Some are quite funny; others quite moving.
Angie Albright
Dec 04, 2011 Angie Albright rated it it was ok
I found very little about this that was funny. The writing is fantastic, but it was actually very depressing. It was one story after another detailing all the ways women have been indoctrinated with toxic thinking about our bodies.
Jill
Aug 17, 2009 Jill rated it it was amazing
Very funny! A friend of mine from high school wrote one of the short stories in this book "Around the Bend." A great, funny, read.
kate
Jul 30, 2008 kate rated it liked it
a collection of humorous essays by women of all ages about women's issues at all ages. you can't help but relate to at least one, from puberty and first crushes to pregnancy and disease.
Kelly
Jan 11, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing
A collection of short stories about women's body image written by some VERY funny women. Obviously not a serious read, but a lot of fun!
Terri
May 27, 2011 Terri rated it liked it
A good collection of essays related to women and body image, health, hormonal changes, and related things. Mostly funny stories and some bittersweet.
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was ok
Jul 03, 2012
Grace
Grace rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2010
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Amy Jones
Amy Jones rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2011
Galen
Galen rated it it was ok
Mar 10, 2010
Lani
Lani rated it it was ok
Dec 30, 2010
Frances
Frances rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2008
Annie
Feb 05, 2008 Annie rated it really liked it
Fun vacation read
Meagan
Meagan rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2008
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2015
S
S rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2009
Monica
Monica rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2015
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2011
Amanda Harrell
Amanda Harrell rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2007
Gomanna
Gomanna rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2008
Kristina
Kristina rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2008
Kelli
Kelli rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2012
Tags Taggart
Mar 12, 2008 Tags Taggart rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recent-reads
I am prejudiced but I think this book is very funny. "My Life as a Mammal" is brilliant, I think.
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
  • It's So You: 35 Women Write About Personal Expression Through Fashion and Style
  • Altared: Bridezillas, Bewilderment, Big Love, Breakups, and What Women Really Think About Contemporary Weddings
  • Choice: True Stories of Birth, Contraception, Infertility, Adoption, Single Parenthood, and Abortion
  • Feed Me!: Writers Dish About Food, Eating, Weight, and Body Image
  • Young Wives' Tales: New Adventures in Love and Partnership
  • The Fire This Time: Young Activists and the New Feminism
  • Poems from the Women's Movement (American Poets Project)
  • Sexism in America: Alive, Well, and Ruining Our Future
  • The Bastard on the Couch: 27 Men Try Really Hard to Explain Their Feelings About Love, Loss, Fatherhood, and Freedom
  • Bad Girls: 26 Writers Misbehave
  • The Other Woman: Twenty-one Wives, Lovers, and Others Talk Openly About Sex, Deception, Love, and Betrayal
  • Click: When We Knew We Were Feminists
  • She's Such a Geek!: Women Write About Science, Technology, and Other Nerdy Stuff
  • To Be Real: Telling the Truth and Changing the Face of Feminism
  • Abortion & Life
  • Single State of the Union: Single Women Speak Out on Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Happiness
  • Our Bodies, Our Crimes: The Policing of Women's Reproduction in America