Start by marking “My Dog Jack is Fat” as Want to Read:
My Dog Jack is Fat

My Dog Jack is Fat

Carson gets fatter as his dog gets thinner from diet and exercise
Published March 1st 2011 by Two Lions

To ask other readers questions about My Dog Jack is Fat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Dog Jack is Fat

Kristel
Carson takes his dog Jack to the veterinarian who reveals that Jack has been gaining weight at an alarming rate (see picture on dedication page to learn how this happened). Thought bubbles provide the reader insights as to Jack’s personality. On every following page Jack is shown running, swimming and exercising while Carson monitors the dog's daily food intake. Carson passively watches Jack’s workouts. The month ends and Carson takes Jack back to the vet who praises Jack’s weight loss but looks ...more
Eva Leger
Mar 23, 2011 Eva Leger rated it it was ok
Shelves: julias-books
Well, my first problem is that the text is so minimal that this can barely even be called a story. Sometimes I think authors like Bunting (known) just throw these out to up the number of their books or for the money gained. Because there is nothing to this. The message is there. But it's not given in any sort of lasting way. It's just.... there.
And I don't know if there is another way but this little boy is a frigging slob. Yes, I know that's the point. Thank you. But yet and still, I don't par
Peacegal
Jun 07, 2011 Peacegal rated it really liked it
I think this is the first children’s book I’ve encountered that addresses the growing issue of pet obesity ( actually not a laughing matter), and it does so in tandem with the issue of childhood obesity. ( Also not a laughing matter. )

Jack is a dog who eats entirely too much, is given unhealthy snacks, and is never exercised. The vet advises his young caretaker, Carson, to put Jack on a weight loss plan. Unfortunately, the boy diligently supervises Jack’s diet and exercise schedule – all the wh
Gia Scott
Jun 30, 2013 Gia Scott rated it did not like it
It's a rather bland story about a dog who is overweight and the trials & tribulations of dieting and exercise, told at a primary grade level with equally less-than-thrilling illustrations. The end of the book finds the boy is now fat and facing the same route.

It's just not a story I anticipate as holding interest very long with a youngster. It's not cute or funny, it's not rhyming, there aren't interesting illustrations...and the story is about getting Jack the dog to lose weight through die
Arminzerella
When Carson takes his dog Jack to the vet, they receive some bad news - Jack is overweight. Carson, being a responsible, and loving pet owner, does right by his dog and helps him get fit. But, as Jack slims down, Carson bulks up. Ruh-roh.

This might have been funnier if obesity weren't such a big deal/issue. Seems a little irresponsible to poke fun at it. Jack offers to help Carson get in shape at the very end, but it might have been a more powerful message if he'd been nagging Carson from the st
Sandy
Sep 17, 2015 Sandy rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens, animals
Are we now fat-shaming our pets? But I have to say it probably is very true to life. We pet owners are more interested in our pets weight and will make our pets do the exercise while we sit around watching tv, playing on the computer and eating. I'm happy for Jack though. He worked hard and got the pounds off, although I don't know if it would have taken only one month for 10 pounds.
Tam
Jun 29, 2011 Tam rated it liked it
Ann
Sep 28, 2011 Ann rated it did not like it
Meh. I don't like watching the boy eat and eat while the dog loses weight, but I also don't like the VET telling the boy to lose weight, seeing him look at himself in his underwear and feel bad.
It could have been done differently.
Marcie
Aug 25, 2012 Marcie rated it liked it
Recommended to Marcie by: Broomfield browsing
I appreciate that the subject has been brought up, particularly as an owner of a hefty dog, but it was far from Eve Bunting's best.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This was a fun read. A boy learns that his dog needs to lose a few pounds. While doing the right things for his dog, he ends up eating a little too much for his own good...
Meg Mardian
Apr 18, 2015 Meg Mardian rated it really liked it
Story of my life at 26...
Prplpckl
Jan 28, 2013 Prplpckl rated it did not like it
I guess this is to read if you think your kid eats too much and doesn't exercise? Not very subtle...not a fan. Pick fail by Mama.
Hannah Jane
May 28, 2012 Hannah Jane rated it did not like it
Shelves: easy-fiction
This is probably the worst children's book I have ever read. It is HORRIBLE! Stay away!
Rachel
May 03, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it
Didactic message book about weight, but there is a good theme here even though the vet is the one who tells the boy he is overweight which seems odd.
Melissa
Apr 20, 2011 Melissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: picturebooks
Some families will find this useful as a conversation starter about diet and exercise.
PWRL
May 19, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-new
O
Shayla Drumm
Shayla Drumm rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2014
Karlee Duncan
Karlee Duncan rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2014
Joyce
Joyce rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Arnold Chun
Arnold Chun rated it did not like it
Apr 26, 2017
Emily Pigman
Emily Pigman rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2015
Nathan Neumann
Nathan Neumann rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2013
Megan
Megan rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2016
Alfajirikali
Alfajirikali rated it it was ok
Jul 30, 2011
Amy
Amy rated it it was ok
Apr 13, 2015
Dee Handley
Dee Handley rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2012
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2013
19126
Also known as Evelyn Bolton and A.E. Bunting.

Anne Evelyn Bunting, better known as Eve Bunting, is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “The
More about Eve Bunting...