Start by marking “Blood Is The Sky (Alex McKnight, #5)” as Want to Read:
Blood Is The Sky (Alex McKnight, #5)

Blood Is The Sky (Alex McKnight #5)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,980 ratings  ·  126 reviews
When a fire is done, what's left is only half-destroyed. It is charred and brittle. It is obscene. There is nothing so ugly in all the world as what a fire leaves behind, covered in ashes and smoke and a smell you?ll think about every day for the rest of your life. Reluctant investigator Alex McKnight finds himself drawn by friendship into a long drive north. The brother o ...more
Published (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Is The Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Is The Sky

Matt Allen
Steve Hamilton writes clean, full-blooded stories. It's impressive how he packs so much of an experience into relatively few words.

I admit it had been a bit since I'd read the last Alex McKnight and I'd forgotten how much I like Hamilton's style. Light prose that packs a great punch. Blood is the Sky is more of the same. I mean this is only a good way--I don't know if I've read a book of this length (barely over three hundred pages for the mass market paperback) that left me feeling as if I'd b
Anita
I picked up this paperback and was pleasantly surprised. "An Alex McKnight novel" Vinnie is searching for a brother who went to Canada as a guide for 'businessmen from Detroit'. I loved the combination of hard-core city cop and reservation culture. Good stuff.
Cindy
There are several reasons why I like Steve Hamilton's books: 1) Set in the UP in places that I have visited. 2) Simple dialogue and description...one needs a break from James Lee Burke occasionally! 3) Interesting plots and lots of action 4) I just like the way Alex McKnight thinks and talks. Quick, easy, satisfying read. And contrary to what others may say, the books don't have to be read in order. There is enough background to explain who the recurring characters are.
Julia
This is the 5th book in the Alex McKnight series by Steve Hamilton and if you are new to the series, consider yourself lucky (but start at the beginning, with A Cold Day In Paradise). This one picks up shortly after North of Nowher as Alex is rebuilding his cabin. His friend Vinnie asks Alex to travel to Canada with him to help find his brother, who has not returned from a hunting expedition.

It's a thrilling read, one of those books that keeps your up late, turning the pages. The first two third
Gloria Feit
What are friends for? Well, Alex McKnight demonstrates just that in this novel which takes him and his erstwhile friend, Vinnie Le Blanc, on a stormy adventure way up in the wilds of northern Canada. It starts when Vinnie, with whom Alex has been at odds since an event in the previous novel in the series, asks Alex to help him find his brother, who is days overdue returning home after accompanying a hunting party as their scout at a Canadian lodge.

To complicate matters, Vinnie’s brother Tom is o
Gina Williams
Alex McKnight is rebuilding the cabin his father built, destroyed by fire, when his neighbor Vinnie, an Ojibwa Indian, lends a hand. As the fall season wanes and winter threatens to halt construction Alex becomes aware of the disappearance of Vinnie's younger brother Tom. Together they set out in search of Tom, and the Detroit businessmen he was guiding for, in northern Ontario's forests only to discover they're following a cold trail. If things weren't already complicated, Vinnie explains that ...more
Jerry
This is my third novel by Steve Hamilton, and the second in the Alex McKnight series. Steve Hamilton is a great writer, I really enjoy his style. This one is set deep in the Canadian wilderness, with a focus on the relationship between Alex and his good friend and neighbor Vinnie. They take a break from rebuilding Alex's cabin to go find out what has happened to Vinnie's brother, who has gone missing up in the Canadian wilderness. A convicted felon on parole, Vinnie's brother Tom has assumed Vi ...more
Harry Roger Williams III
Another gripping adventure. Another chance for series hero Alex McKnight to test the limits of human recuperation and recovery.
This is a hero who suffers without the assurance of survival. He tells you how badly he is hurt, but never says "It's not supposed to be this way."
Bill Belichick says "It is what it is." Alex McKnight says "Pain is not as important as justice." Justice for him is not revenge but rather setting things right when possible, especially when it comes to his friends.
We should
Lynette Barfield

Light entertaining action. Not as good as some of his others but still Very readable. Good friends, good food and a certain amount of humor as well as interesting locations help to keep up the suspense and action. I like his writing style a lot.
Randy Daugherty
Blood is the Sky by Steve Hamilton- Tom Leblanc a young man out on parole trying to get his life back in order.Life and money is hard to come by on the Rez unless you work the casinos but Tom cannot obtain work there as he is a felon.Vinnie Leblanc, Tom's brother who himself has tried to get his life in order. Vinnie deals blackjack at the local casino but is the blacksheep of the family. Vinnie lives off the Rez though at times you would never know it.Vinnie has an offer to guide a hunting part ...more
Maddy
RATING: 4.75

At various times in their relationship, Alex McKnight and his best friend, Vinnie Red Sky LeBlanc, an Ojibwa Indian who lives in a nearby cabin rather than on the reservation, find themselves at odds with one another. They always manage to set aside their differences, even though there are sometimes some major issues between them. The relationship between Alex and Vinnie is beautifully drawn. They are definitely brothers in spirit, if not in blood, and come through for each other tim
Lani
I've read and finished a book a day from this series for the past week, and this is his best work yet. Not only is it a crime thriller, it's also a story about friendship, family, and the past. It tells the story in a way that makes everyone so real that it's hard to put the book down. Highly recommended. In fact, if you haven't read any other Steve Hamilton books, you can start with this one. Each book is stand-alone and can be read out of order if really necessary.
Carol
Steve Hamilton is one of the best writers I have come across in a while.This book kept me up way past dawn to finish. It is that good. Alex McKnight,an ex-Detroit cop,can't say no to a friend in need.That is how he ends up taking a trip deep into Canada to locate a missing hunting party.The forests of northern Ontario are not for the meek. They hold deadly secrets and Alex and his Ojibwa Indian friend Vinnie are about to find out the shocking secrets.
Jon
I've been reading these thriller/mysteries in order, and this one is up to the usual standard. I could not imagine what explanation could account for the disappearances and mayhem in this one until it all came together fairly late in the book. And then even tying up the loose ends was exciting. These are all excellent page-turners. Well crafted, good characters, carefully constructed plots.
Fredrick Danysh
Alex McKnight is trying to rebuild a burnt down log cabin when a friend's mother asks him to search for her missing youngest son. The young Indian and the four hunters he was guiding never returned from a hunting trip. As As Alex and the boy's brother Vinnie search they uncover sinister events that have the Canadian police on their trail. Blood in the Sky kept me spell bound until the end.
Jennifer Morefield
I thought this was an excellent thriller. I enjoyed the hunting aspect and hunting camps and guides. I also like it being in the Canadian wilderness. The Native American aspect was also a fascinating part of this story. I loved it. This is the fifth in the Alex McNight series. I may go back and read the other ones. This was my kind of read.
Ellen Keim
An excellent adventure, thriller and murder mystery novel! I started it around 10 in the evening, which turned out to be a mistake because I ended up staying awake until 3 am finishing it. And it was worth it. I will certainly be looking up more books in this series--I'll just be careful about what time of day I start to read them!

Melliott
I'm enjoying this series--more with each book. I started out a little tepid (I had high expectations after reading his book The Lock Artist, which I recommend to people all the time, and at first I was underwhelmed. But he writes interesting characters and situations, and I am getting on board with the low-key personality of Alex McKnight.
Ashland Mystery Oregon
Love every single one of Steve Hamilton's Alex McKnight mysteries set in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. In this 2003 work, Alex begins to rebuilt his father's cabin, and Vinnie LeBlanc joins in to help with the heavy lifting. More from Vinnie's reservation, about his Ojibwa family and heritage, great background with healing sweats.

Time and distance are collapsed, as Alex thinks nothing of driving 4-10 hours at a stretch, no matter the weather.

Blood is the Sky reaches so far out in the remote C
Lenore
I've said it before and I'll say it again - Steve Hamilton writes a good, honest mystery novel that is entertaining and a quick read. Blood is the Sky is the 5th Alex McKnight book. I devoured this book on a nice sunny day under the shade of a tree.
Carol
Best Steve Hamilton yet. I couldn't put it down to find out what happened even though I know Alex and Vinnie live to be in the next book. A fun break from more serious reading. And still wonderful descriptions of places I have spent a lot of time Bay Mills and the Soo and places I have been Wawa with its goose and Sudbury.
Brian Clapper
I put this series in the category of "television substitutes," and the books are all thoroughly enjoyable examples of that category. The main character, Alex McKnight; is a former minor league baseball player, a former Detroit cop (who took three bullets during the shooting that killed his partner); and an uninterested, but licensed, private investigator. He considers himself a failure at all three. He lives in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, where he ends up sticking his nose into problems that, in ...more
Linda
Love this series. Started reading because they take place in the UP of Michigan - a really beautiful area. Alex McKnight is a great character. And I like learning a little about the Ojibwa Indians. This is the best yet in a great series.
Joyce
I want to go north and we are hoping to make that trek sometime this year. I couldn't put this down. Tragedy and friendship and making connections. Found it thoroughly enjoyable.
Kim
loved it! S Hamilton is getting better with each book. I am not big on coincidences but I can live with the one in this book, wish Hamilton made it a set up instead of a coincidence (without giving anything away, I will leave it vague.) And quite honestly, Hamilton makes the reader think that you can't go into a bar in the Upper Peninsula without running into jackasses and getting beat up, but I know better. Even with these 2 annoying things, I love his books. I read this in one night because I ...more
Patricia
Gripping story line, very relatable characters. The fact that it's set in my favorite place on earth - northern Ontario - is a big bonus.
Marty
Good enough mystery. I like Steve Hamilton's local color and sense of place. Not my favorite of the ones I've read, but not bad.
Eric Eden
This is the third novel I've read by Hamilton. The best was The Lock Artist, which was interesting, inventive, and gripping. This was very good--Hamilton is a capable writer. The story is a bit far fetched and it was hard to suspend my disbelief. Mental chewing gum.
Steve Hamilton writes another winner in his Alex McKnight series, with a twist at the end that I didn't see coming.
Laura Shannon
I am really enjoying this series. This particular installment is one of the best murder mysteries I've read in a long time.
  • Blue Wolf in Green Fire: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #2)
  • Thunder Bay (Cork O'Connor, #7)
  • The Hanging Tree
  • Trespasser (Mike Bowditch, #2)
  • Out Of Range (Joe Pickett, #5)
  • Walking the Perfect Square (Moe Prager #1)
THE SECOND LIFE OF NICK MASON, the start of a new series, will be out in September, 2015.

(Working on the next Alex McKnight book right now!)
More about Steve Hamilton...

Alex McKnight (10 books)
  • A Cold Day in Paradise (Alex McKnight, #1)
  • Winter of the Wolf Moon (Alex McKnight, #2)
  • The Hunting Wind (Alex McKnight, #3)
  • North of Nowhere (Alex McKnight, #4)
  • Ice Run (Alex McKnight, #6)
  • A Stolen Season (Alex McKnight, #7)
  • Misery Bay (Alex McKnight, #8)
  • Die a Stranger (Alex McKnight, #9)
  • Let it Burn (Alex McKnight, #10)
The Lock Artist A Cold Day in Paradise (Alex McKnight, #1) Misery Bay (Alex McKnight, #8) Winter of the Wolf Moon (Alex McKnight, #2) North of Nowhere (Alex McKnight, #4)

“It was a lesson I had taken most of my life to learn. Sometimes you have to let things go.” 3 likes