Start by marking “The Story Of Classical Music” as Want to Read:
The Story Of Classical Music

The Story Of Classical Music

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  71 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
This lively recording is a perfect way to introduce classical music to the entire family. It looks at the music through the lives of the great composers and their environment, from the churches and cathedrals that produced the familiar sound of Gregorian chant, to Johann Sebastian Bach, the family man composing for the glory of God, and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, the child p ...more
Audio Cd
Published June 30th 2004 by Naxos AudioBooks (first published June 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Story Of Classical Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story Of Classical Music

Jenny
Mar 07, 2016 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books
I'm listening to this on CD. It is fantastic. I love the history and abbreviated biographies that include interesting facts. Bach loved music so much he once walked 231 miles, each way, to see a concert. The music is wonderful, of course, and they only include snippets which ensures kids get an exposure to the famous pieces but don't lose focus. I'm listening to it on my own, but I plan to put this into the CD player on the next family road trip! This is really worth listening to at least twice!
Realini
May 27, 2014 Realini rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The Story of Classical Music by Darren Henley

This is an extraordinary…I do not know what to call it- is it a book? Or a production of a book?

It is an audio book, which makes the whole difference between a joy to listen to and a difficult read. Recently, I tried to go through a similar venture, but in print: An Introduction to Music.
It was way less satisfying than the present, wonderful audiobook.
It is one to talk or write about Beethoven and a whole different ball game, when you exemplify.
The li
Christina
Mar 08, 2014 Christina rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, adult-reads, 2012
I'm not sure I would've listened to this audio if it hadn't been offered free for limited time. However I did find that I really enjoyed this. I Have been a fan of classical music ever since I was in the band in high school and I really enjoyed listening to some of my favorite pieces and trying to identify the titles and composers.
Rachel Ban
Aug 13, 2009 Rachel Ban rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marin Alsop the fabulous music director for the Baltimore Symphony is the narrator of this audio book. She is all about making classical music accessible so narrating Henley's book was a perfect match.
Gil Bradshaw
Aug 18, 2007 Gil Bradshaw rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
THis book is best in its audio format downloaded from audible.com. Preferably in format 4. It is SUCH a great primer on classical music.
Scott Diamond
Feb 26, 2016 Scott Diamond rated it really liked it
This was a fun audio book. Good reader, interesting facts about the time period and a great selection of music. I really enjoyed the listening journey. I only wish it had more discussion of the kind of music each composer wrote. It was hard for me to pick up what differentiated composers just based on hearing an audio snippet.
Nick Padley
Jul 14, 2015 Nick Padley rated it it was amazing
Great introduction to classical music. I'm amazed at how many recordings they were able to use. This is an audiobook that goes beyond the traditional book format - as you hear the various descriptions of composers over the centuries, the narration is accompanied by excerpts of their music. It's a great way to become familiar with new music and match up familiar tunes with the history of the author.
Celeste
Jun 29, 2014 Celeste rated it liked it
Interesting information, but I felt each story or event was quite brief and not as in depth as I would have liked. Seemed a little rudimentary to me; like it was just surface material, and nothing deeper.
Anna
Jul 07, 2014 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great, kid-friendly intro to the history of classical music from Gregorian chant to modern movie scores. I was surprised and pleased by how many composers were included!
Mignon De Klerk
Mar 29, 2015 Mignon De Klerk rated it it was amazing
This is a great audiobook for a long road trip with kids - we all loved it.
Leroy Brookens
Jun 16, 2014 Leroy Brookens rated it it was amazing
I listened to this 4 times!
Edwin B
Sep 26, 2012 Edwin B rated it really liked it
The best about this audiobook history of classical music from the Renaissance to the 20th century is listening to snippets from the compositions of the masters - Handel, Bach, Vivaldi, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Paganini, Schubert, Chopin, Mendelsshon, Liszt, Schumann, Brahms, Wagner, Verdi, Strauss, Bizet, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Debussy, Puccini, Mahler, Rachmaninov, Schoenberg, Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Gershwin, Bernstein, and many others.
Dinesh Jayaraman
Jan 30, 2016 Dinesh Jayaraman rated it liked it
Good intro to the important composers and compositions through the history of western classical music. Not a fan of the audiobook format, but it's a good format for this material, for obvious reasons.

I expected a little more on the evolution of techniques and styles of music, but it mostly stuck to the stories of composers and their famous compositions.
Heather
This was a fun guide through classical music for young listeners. The best part was hearing samples of music from the great composers, I recognized a lot of the music.

The author did seem to 'speak down' to the listener, and some of the sound bits were annoying-but otherwise it was fine.
Rich
Feb 08, 2013 Rich rated it really liked it
A simplified overview of the history if classical music. I listened to the audio book which has great samples of the music throughout. I listened to the book twice.
Steven
Dec 19, 2011 Steven rated it liked it
Nice little survey of classical literature. The narrator tells about the development which are illustrated with snippets of music.
KayG
Apr 04, 2013 KayG rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
Excellent intro to classical music - for someone wanting a good lightweight history of music. On
Phillip Stewart
Jun 21, 2013 Phillip Stewart rated it it was amazing
Excellent audiobook with 150 great music clips covering the history of classical music.
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2016
IChing Li
IChing Li marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Cristina
Cristina rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Grace
Grace added it
Mar 18, 2016
Kelsey Yates
Kelsey Yates marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Vibin JK
Vibin JK rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Diane
Diane added it
Dec 30, 2015
Claire Tagasa
Claire Tagasa marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Karen Luttik
Karen Luttik marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Pavel
Pavel marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015