Start by marking “Cabin Fever: A Suburban Father's Search for the Wild” as Want to Read:
Cabin Fever: A Suburban Father's Search for the Wild

Cabin Fever: A Suburban Father's Search for the Wild

A modern Walden—if Thoreau had had three kids and a minivan—Cabin Fever is a serious yet irreverent take on living in a cabin in the woods while also living within our high-tech, materialist culture.

Try to imagine Thoreau married, with a job, three kids, and a minivan. This is the serious yet irreverent sensibility that suffuses Cabin Fever, as the author seeks to apply
Published June 7th 2011 by Beacon Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Cabin Fever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cabin Fever

Julie
Feb 06, 2012 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: essays
"Cabin Fever" is a collection of essays about the author's thoughts and experiences at the family cabin. Fate, a suburban family man, identifies with Thoreau, and is a close reader of "Walden" and Thoreau's journals. Many of these essays contrast Fate's modern, somewhat fractured life with the more deliberate lifestyle Thoreau led more than a century ago.

I am very interested in the book's theme, which seems to probe various answers to the question of how a modern person who lives with a family
Carolyn
Oct 27, 2011 Carolyn rated it liked it
Thoreau meets Sand County Almanac in the 21st century.
Kathy
Aug 20, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it
Quotable:
What I'm seeking here is a more deliberate life. But deliberate doesn't just mean "intentional" or "careful": it means "balanced".

To put it plainly, a deliberate life is a search for balance - in mind body and spirit - amid our daily lives.

Home. That's where I'm headed. This is an invitation to the way-finding. These words are tracks through a sun-dazzled meadow and a long winter night full of coughing children. They follow ants and cicadas and coyotes and the sudden twists and turns of
Ruth Everhart
Aug 12, 2012 Ruth Everhart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the premise of this book of essays -- what if Thoreau was a suburban father of 3? Indeed. Didn't you think about that as you read Walden? The author, Tom Fate, is a true fan of Thoreau, and he brings a similar love for Wildness into his life in suburban Chicago, or at his primitive cabin in Sawyer, Michigan. I think this would be a great gift book for a guy who has an inner Walden!
Mark Hiser
Sep 15, 2011 Mark Hiser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. Modeled after Thoreau's Walden, the book is organized by the four seasons of a year, and each reflective essay is preceded by a epigraph taken from one of Thoreau's writings. Each essay seeks the wilderness within and without, and looks for balance and meaning in the woods as well as suburbia.
Barbara
May 03, 2014 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books
Full of observations, reflections on our place in and as part of the natural world. A delightful reminiscence of a year spent building a cabin while writing with Thoreau's words as prompts.

"Wonder, and the reference it brings, is the best part of human nature."
Jessie
Jul 12, 2011 Jessie rated it it was amazing
This book was a lot funnier than I expected it to be, and also more spiritual. It's not just about finding a place in the woods in order to be reflective: it's about the balance between that space away and the space immersed in the everyday, the bustle, the technologies and demands of modern life.
Michelle
May 06, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I really liked the funny storis and especially like the many references to Henry David Thoreau.
Joe Eason
Jul 06, 2012 Joe Eason rated it really liked it
Great book, definitely worth reading for anyone who likes or even tolerates Thoreau and lives in suburbia like me.
Marty Greenwell
Dec 12, 2014 Marty Greenwell rated it really liked it
Nice title: Cabin Fever: A Suburban Father's Search for the Wild. More than that, though. It shows that in this chaotic world that a person with responsibilities can go back into nature, using Thoreau as his master, and not just survive but live life to its fullest. I liked this short little book, for its simplicity and calmness. The author is good at attempting to combine the feelings that he uncovers at his "house in the woods" and carry them home to his suburban Chicago family and home. Much ...more
Gina
Oct 12, 2014 Gina rated it liked it
The themes here are interesting - finding balance in life, being a suburban parent while still trying to live in a searching sort of way. There are some nice images and some nice writing. But I just didn't feel the depth. It highlighted for me how hard really great nature and personal essay writing is to do. First you have to be one of the lucky ones that thinks really great thoughts, like Annie Dillard. If you don't have the thoughts, the illustrative observations and experiences just don't hol ...more
Du
Jul 08, 2011 Du rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is an example of why you shouldn't impulse grab books at the library. I love the idea of a cabin in the woods, and thought that is what I'd get. Suburban guy buys some land designs and builds his get away place.

Instead I got a whinny overly sensitive book about life and reading Thoreau. No escapism here, no uplifting how to deal with stress by returning to nature.

I had considered one star, and then realized I should have read it closer and then I might have passed on reading it.
Karen Vandenbosch
Aug 03, 2011 Karen Vandenbosch rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this but could not get into it very well, read a few chapters and skimmed a few others hoping to get into the book, just couldn't . Have read many other cabin in the woods books and enjoyed the back to nature writings but this one fell short.
Jim
Mar 30, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing
Observations by a suburban family man-who wants to live as much like Henry David Thoreau as possible. It's hard--but I like the idea.
Bobbettylou
Aug 30, 2015 Bobbettylou rated it really liked it
Almost as memorable and quotable as Henry David Thoreau's writings which it digests and comments upon.
Rebecca
Apr 07, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Who doesn't like the idea of a cabin in the woods to call their own? With humor and subtlety the author weaves in bits and pieces of Thoreau and the modern world.
Karen
Dec 23, 2012 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
Slow read, which is what works best for books like this. Makes you reflect on things going on in your own life.
Linda
I didn't finish it. Just couldn't get into it, and I tried many times, but it's not fair to rate it when I didn't finish.
Jon Fine
Jan 08, 2012 Jon Fine rated it it was ok
Meh. Some salient points, but seemed like the author was writing the book more for himself than the audience.
Meg
Aug 16, 2011 Meg rated it really liked it
very well written. Not quite what I was expecting, but I suppose if I had read the reviews (or at least read Walden first) I would have had a better idea. This is a book to get lost in the prose.
John Keenan
John Keenan rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Chris Sonzogni
Chris Sonzogni rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2014
Cherie
Cherie rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2012
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2015
Daniel N Larkin
Daniel N Larkin rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2015
Revjlwd
Revjlwd rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2011
Christopher Kijowski
Christopher Kijowski rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2012
Greg
Greg rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2015
Jim
Jim rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Settled in the Wild: Notes from the Edge of Town
  • The Lake, the River & the Other Lake
  • Cabin: Two Brothers, a Dream, and Five Acres in Maine
  • Swedish Lessons: A memoir of sects, love & indentured servitude. Sort of.
  • In Search of Small Gods
  • No Dogs in Heaven?: Scenes from the Life of a Country Veterinarian
  • Q Road
  • The Pioneer Cookbook: Recipes for Today's Kitchen
  • Fowl Weather
  • Mind Mapping for Dummies
  • Letters From Eden: A Year at Home, in the Woods
  • Nature Wars: The Incredible Story of How Wildlife Comebacks Turned Backyards into Battlegrounds
  • A Conservationist Manifesto
  • The Ruins Of Detroit
  • Year of Plenty: One Suburban Family, Four Rules, and 365 Days of Homegrown Adventure in Pursuit of Christian Living
  • The Crossley ID Guide: Raptors
  • Taste, Memory: Forgotten Foods, Lost Flavors, and Why They Matter
  • The Wild Braid: A Poet Reflects on a Century in the Garden
Tom Montgomery Fate is the author of five books of nonfiction, including Beyond the White Noise (1997), a collection of essays, Steady and Trembling (2005), a spiritual memoir, and Cabin Fever (2011), a nature memoir. His essays have appeared in The Chicago Tribune, The Boston Globe, The Baltimore Sun, Orion, Iowa Review, Fourth Genre, Riverteeth, Sojourners, Christian Century, and many other jour ...more
More about Tom Montgomery Fate...

“I would like to learn how to do that--to recognize the gift of enough.” 3 likes
“I don't know where I'm going. I just want to walk. Or maybe to pray, as that's how the best walks seem, like an emptying and opening.” 0 likes