Cabin Fever: A Suburban Father's Search for the Wild

Cabin Fever: A Suburban Father's Search for the Wild

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A modern Walden—if Thoreau had had three kids and a minivan—Cabin Fever is a serious yet irreverent take on living in a cabin in the woods while also living within our high-tech, materialist culture.

Try to imagine Thoreau married, with a job, three kids, and a minivan. This is the serious yet irreverent sensibility that suffuses Cabin Fever, as the author seeks to apply t...more
Published June 7th 2011 by Beacon Press (first published January 1st 2011)

The Power of Myth by Joseph CampbellCabin Fever by Tom Montgomery FateI Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist by Norman L. GeislerThe Path to the Sun by Kimberli A. BindschatelGay Before God by William Bruce
2013 Reading List FUUL
2nd out of 13 books — 6 voters
Walden by Henry David ThoreauWalden on Wheels by Ken IlgunasParadise Lot by Eric ToensmeierThe Backyard Homestead by Carleen MadiganThe Portable Emerson by Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paring down - Back to basics
17th out of 60 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Julie
"Cabin Fever" is a collection of essays about the author's thoughts and experiences at the family cabin. Fate, a suburban family man, identifies with Thoreau, and is a close reader of "Walden" and Thoreau's journals. Many of these essays contrast Fate's modern, somewhat fractured life with the more deliberate lifestyle Thoreau led more than a century ago.

I am very interested in the book's theme, which seems to probe various answers to the question of how a modern person who lives with a family...more
Carolyn
Thoreau meets Sand County Almanac in the 21st century.
Kathy
Quotable:
What I'm seeking here is a more deliberate life. But deliberate doesn't just mean "intentional" or "careful": it means "balanced".

To put it plainly, a deliberate life is a search for balance - in mind body and spirit - amid our daily lives.

Home. That's where I'm headed. This is an invitation to the way-finding. These words are tracks through a sun-dazzled meadow and a long winter night full of coughing children. They follow ants and cicadas and coyotes and the sudden twists and turns of...more
Barbara
Full of observations, reflections on our place in and as part of the natural world. A delightful reminiscence of a year spent building a cabin while writing with Thoreau's words as prompts.

"Wonder, and the reference it brings, is the best part of human nature."
Ruth Everhart
I love the premise of this book of essays -- what if Thoreau was a suburban father of 3? Indeed. Didn't you think about that as you read Walden? The author, Tom Fate, is a true fan of Thoreau, and he brings a similar love for Wildness into his life in suburban Chicago, or at his primitive cabin in Sawyer, Michigan. I think this would be a great gift book for a guy who has an inner Walden!
Mark
I enjoyed this book. Modeled after Thoreau's Walden, the book is organized by the four seasons of a year, and each reflective essay is preceded by a epigraph taken from one of Thoreau's writings. Each essay seeks the wilderness within and without, and looks for balance and meaning in the woods as well as suburbia.
Jessie
This book was a lot funnier than I expected it to be, and also more spiritual. It's not just about finding a place in the woods in order to be reflective: it's about the balance between that space away and the space immersed in the everyday, the bustle, the technologies and demands of modern life.
Michelle
I loved this book. I really liked the funny storis and especially like the many references to Henry David Thoreau.
Joe Eason
Great book, definitely worth reading for anyone who likes or even tolerates Thoreau and lives in suburbia like me.
Jim
Observations by a suburban family man-who wants to live as much like Henry David Thoreau as possible. It's hard--but I like the idea.
Rebecca
Who doesn't like the idea of a cabin in the woods to call their own? With humor and subtlety the author weaves in bits and pieces of Thoreau and the modern world.
Du
Jul 09, 2011 Du rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is an example of why you shouldn't impulse grab books at the library. I love the idea of a cabin in the woods, and thought that is what I'd get. Suburban guy buys some land designs and builds his get away place.

Instead I got a whinny overly sensitive book about life and reading Thoreau. No escapism here, no uplifting how to deal with stress by returning to nature.

I had considered one star, and then realized I should have read it closer and then I might have passed on reading it.
Karen Vandenbosch
I really wanted to like this but could not get into it very well, read a few chapters and skimmed a few others hoping to get into the book, just couldn't . Have read many other cabin in the woods books and enjoyed the back to nature writings but this one fell short.
Linda
I didn't finish it. Just couldn't get into it, and I tried many times, but it's not fair to rate it when I didn't finish.
Karen
Slow read, which is what works best for books like this. Makes you reflect on things going on in your own life.
Jon Fine
Meh. Some salient points, but seemed like the author was writing the book more for himself than the audience.
Kelsy
Reviewed this for Library Journal.
Marianna
I'm inspired to read Thoreau!
Kelley Tackett
Kelley Tackett marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Noelle
Noelle added it
Jul 22, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Bonnie Tesch
Bonnie Tesch marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Matthew Philips
Matthew Philips marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Shannon
Shannon is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2014
Ezekiel Essien
Ezekiel Essien marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
  • Cabin: Two Brothers, a Dream, and Five Acres in Maine
  • Nature Wars: The Incredible Story of How Wildlife Comebacks Turned Backyards into Battlegrounds
  • Hope, Human and Wild: True Stories of Living Lightly on the Earth
  • In Search of Small Gods
  • A Place In The Woods
  • The Lake, the River & the Other Lake: A Novel
  • Settled in the Wild: Notes from the Edge of Town
  • Fowl Weather
  • Escape from Slavery: The True Story of My Ten Years in Captivity and My Journey to Freedom in America
  • North of Hope: A Daughter's Arctic Journey
  • The Accidental Farmers: An urban couple, a rural calling and a dream of farming in harmony with Nature
  • Q Road
  • The Story of America: Essays on Origins
  • The Odd Clauses: Understanding the Constitution Through Ten of Its Most Curious Provisions
  • 360 Degrees Longitude: One Family's Journey Around the World
  • A Queer History of the United States
  • The Wild Braid: A Poet Reflects on a Century in the Garden
  • If the Shoe Fits, Go Barefoot
Tom Montgomery Fate is the author of five books of nonfiction, including Beyond the White Noise (1997), a collection of essays, Steady and Trembling (2005), a spiritual memoir, and Cabin Fever (2011), a nature memoir. His essays have appeared in The Chicago Tribune, The Boston Globe, The Baltimore Sun, Orion, Iowa Review, Fourth Genre, Riverteeth, Sojourners, Christian Century, and many other jour...more
More about Tom Montgomery Fate...
Steady and Trembling: Art, Faith, and Family in an Uncertain World Beyond the White Noise: Mission in a Multicultural World