Start by marking “The Art of the Story-Teller” as Want to Read:
The Art of the Story-Teller

The Art of the Story-Teller

In spite of a strong taste on the part of children for what is ugly and brutal, I am sure that we ought to eliminate this element as far as possible from the school stories, especially among poor children. Not because I think children should be protected from all knowledge of evil, but because so much of this knowledge comes into their life outside school that we can well ...more
Published November 2nd 2011 by Dover Publications (first published January 1st 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of the Story-Teller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of the Story-Teller

Feb 17, 2014 Robert rated it it was ok
This is an old book written by someone who I gather was an authoritarian on storytelling in her day. The language is definitely not modern, yet I enjoyed the more formal tone to the lessons.

Shedlock provides much advice for storytelling, particularly to children and often in an academic setting. As a Toastmaster, I found much of her advice sound. As a teacher, I agreed with most of her educational points.

The casual reader, however, will probably not be thrilled with many of the examples used giv
I love it when a seemingly simple art is broken down into complex science. I read this to motivate me to write a childrens book but now I am overwhelmed with variables!
Monica rated it it was ok
Jan 12, 2016
Patricia rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2012
Janeo rated it it was ok
Aug 06, 2013
Joe Paravisini
Joe Paravisini rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2012
Joe Gonzales
Joe Gonzales rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2015
Mark Riddle
Mark Riddle rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Karen Mcintyre
Karen Mcintyre rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2015
From my storytelling class in library school. Deserves a second look.
Robert rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2012
Peg rated it it was ok
Jul 01, 2014
Ron Willoughby
Ron Willoughby rated it it was ok
Apr 09, 2013
Ramon Sunico
Ramon Sunico rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2011
Wrena rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2015
Jon Thysell
Jon Thysell rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2011
Stephen rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2010
Nicole rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2009