Start by marking “Hungry: A Mother and Daughter Fight Anorexia” as Want to Read:
Hungry: A Mother and Daughter Fight Anorexia

Hungry: A Mother and Daughter Fight Anorexia

A unique eating-disorder memoir written by a mother and daughter.Unbeknownst to food critic Sheila Himmel-as she reviewed exotic cuisines from bistro to brasserie- her daughter, Lisa, was at home starving herself. Before Sheila fully grasped what was happening, her fourteen-year-old with a thirst for life and a palate for the flavors of Vietnam and Afghanistan was replaced ...more
Published August 4th 2009 by Berkley Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Hungry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hungry

Amanda
Oct 10, 2011 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Moderately interesting--probably particularly so for parents of those with eating disorders. Author includes some words of wisdom for parents coping. Story-wise, the timeline seemed scattered & kept jumping around. Some parts were repetitive or reiterated in other chapters. Just okay.
Deb
Mar 10, 2012 Deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Eating away the family*

Without a doubt, _Hungry_ shows how eating disorders are truly family affairs. A fascinating and compelling read, the book primarily offers a mother's-eye-view of the devastation her daughter's eating disorders inflict on the family. Of course, it's easy to be an armchair therapist when reading this book and cringe at some of the decisions, comments, and interpretations mother Shiela made while dealing with daughter Lisa's eating disorders. But, to do so would take away
Caprice Procarione
Oct 28, 2012 Caprice Procarione rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Caprice by: No One
Excellent book! I would definitely recommend since it gives the reader an insight into the world of one woman and her family's fight with anorexia. An eating disorder not only affects the person inflicted with the "disease" but also all those loved ones surrounding that individual.

While reading this book I became attached to the characters. You feel the emotions along side with them and for them: anger, worry, happiness, sadness, confusion, etc. You learn not only the symptoms but the complicat
Jen
Jan 30, 2013 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ed, memoir
The beginning of this book starts off slow, and the first 100 pages or so are mostly about the mothers career, which I did not find that interesting. The rest of the book alternates between Lisa (the daughter) and Sheila's (the mother) viewpoints as Sheila swings in and out of her eating disorder- mostly from Sheila. I did not think that this was a good depiction of how torturous living with an eating disorder truly is to the disorder, and a lot of things seemed to be talked about almost redunda ...more
Decent. I think the mother is incorrect in her premise that a food-obsessed culture is primarily to blame for the rise in eating disorders. Nonetheless, Himmel writes well and her candidness is appreciated. I thought the daughter's contributions to the book paled in comparison. I found her to be a self-absorbed little brat but then, that's the crux of someone with an eating disorder. Parents deserve better than crappy anorexic children.
Meg Marie
Mar 29, 2012 Meg Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book (as much as you can enjoy a book about a family's suffering?) It's not just a story of their family, it's also a well researched book about America's history with food and restaurants and the rise of eating disorders. The mom writes the majority of the book, and her writing is clear and insightful (she's also a former journalist, and it shows.) The daughter's portion includes parts from her diary and an astonishing honesty about her illness.
Jill
May 18, 2011 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Ive read several books on ED, and this is one of my favorites. I think it shares a unique perspective as the mother makes, rather made, her living from food, as her daughter struggled with anorexia and then bulimia. I though there was also an interesting balance as the mother and daughters voices are both heard.
Olivia
Dec 10, 2009 Olivia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an account from a mother and daughter about a family struggling to deal with the daughter's eating disorder. It is also about foodyism and food obsession in our society. It is not overly sentimental which is refreshing in anything that deals with this topic.
Grace
Nov 05, 2009 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction, 2009
I found this fascinating, but I was a little frustrated by the dominance of the mother's voice. I would have liked to hear more from the daughter.
Allison
the writing was pretty good, and the mother's perspective was interesting, but I wanted to hear more from the daughter.
Gina
Dec 09, 2012 Gina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appreciate their honesty, but I didn't like that it wasn't completely chronologically organized. It jumped around too much for me.
Samantha
Apr 29, 2011 Samantha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest I only got a few chapters into this book. It wasn't what I was looking for and wasn't what the synopsis makes it seem like.
Anthony Faber
A story of a daughter's eating disorder. I don't know where I got this recommended from, but it wasn't really my cup of tea.
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2012
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was ok
Aug 01, 2014
Yelena
Yelena rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2010
Holly Oldham
Holly Oldham rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2011
Derrick Gilmore
Derrick Gilmore rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2014
Elise Zuke
Elise Zuke rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2014
Katy
Katy rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2010
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2011
Missy
Missy rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2015
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Liz
Liz rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2010
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2013
Naomi
Naomi rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2010
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2011
Julia Doctoroff
Julia Doctoroff rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2017
Emma
Emma rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2011
Dominique
Dominique rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Solitaire: The Compelling Story of a Young Woman Growing up in America and Her Triumph over Anorexia
  • 703: How I Lost More Than a Quarter Ton and Gained a Life
  • Insatiable: A Young Mother's Struggle with Anorexia
  • The Anorexia Diaries: A Mother and Daughter's Triumph Over Teenage Eating Disorders
  • Next to Nothing: A Firsthand Account of One Teenager's Experience with an Eating Disorder
  • Slim to None: A Journey Through the Wasteland of Anorexia Treatment
  • Diary of an Exercise Addict
  • Food and Loathing: A Life Measured Out in Calories
  • Kid Rex: The Inspiring True Account of a Life Salvaged from Anorexia, Despair and Dark Days in New York City
  • The Golden Cage: The Enigma of Anorexia Nervosa
  • Not All Black Girls Know How to Eat: A Story of Bulimia
  • Alice in the Looking Glass: A Mother and Daughter's Experience of Anorexia
  • Starving for Attention: A Young Woman's Struggle with and Triumph Over Anorexia Nervosa
  • Restricted: A Novel of Half-Truths
  • The Center of the Universe
  • Biting Anorexia: A Firsthand Account of an Internal War
  • Losing It
  • Good Girls Do Swallow: The Darkly Comic True Story of How One Woman Stopped Hating Her Body

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Sheila Himmel is an award-winning food critic, writer and editor. As restaurant critic for the San Jose Mercury News, she despaired when her daughter, Lisa, developed severe eating disorders. Together they wrote an article for the paper, and now the book, Hungry. "
More about Sheila Himmel...