The KenKen Killings: A Puzzle Lady Mystery

The KenKen Killings: A Puzzle Lady Mystery (Puzzle Lady #12)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  32 reviews
The Puzzle Lady just can’t stay out of trouble. When the late Chester T. Markowitz, a man she never met, leaves $10,000 to his beloved wife, Cora Felton, the Puzzle Lady can’t help cashing the check. Quicker than you can say legal proceedings, Cora’s least favorite ex-husband, Melvin, shows up in Bakerhaven with an attorney and a young bimbo, demanding that her alimony be...more
Published January 25th 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published January 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The KenKen Killings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The KenKen Killings

Shasta Matova
I've read several of the Puzzle Lady mysteries. The stories are quick to read since the sentences are all fairly short and somewhat lighthearted, even while they are talking about murders. There is always a puzzle that is connected with them that provides clues about the killer. From this series, I learned about different types of sudoku puzzles. In this one, they include a new-to-me puzzle, the kenken. It is going to take me some practice to learn how to solve them, but you don't need to learn...more
Tristan Macavery
According to the dust jacket, RT Book Reviews described one of the Puzzle Lady books as "Grouch Marx meets Jessica Fletcher." Frankly, there's no better description that I could find were I to hunt for years! The books in this series are quick, happy, hilarious reads with good mysteries, good puzzles, and dialog snappier than a fresh thick-cut potato chip. (My friends will understand readily why I make a food comparison. The rest of you, just deal with it.)

I must make a plug for Hall's delightfu...more
Diane Heath
Cora is set up by her ex husband in an attempt to stop her alimony payments. Witnesses at the hearing start turning up dead. Ken-Ken puzzles and crossword puzzles match up to give clues. Cora has to work with Becky, the town attorney, to keep herself out of jail. She also has to prove Melvin's innocence.
Susan
Cora Felton, the Puzzle Lady, is so eager to inherit money from Chester T. Markowitz that she agrees that he's her ex-husband. Unfortunately, the whole inheritance is a scam instituted by Melvin, her real, most recent, ex-husband, designed to end her alimony payments. When Melvin's witnesses start dying, a series of puzzles seems to point at--Melvin. Cora is sure that she doesn't care for Melvin, but she doesn't want to see him in prison where he can't pay her alimony. So she sets out to prove t...more
Deborah
If you are looking for a quick fun read, the Puzzle lady series always is a good choice. A crossword puzzler compiler hides from her ex-husband by using her aunt's photo above her puzzles. Her aunt couldn't solve a crossword to save her life, and is constantly getting into trouble. Over the series the aunt becomes recognized for solving another kind of puzzle - murders. The characters are great and it's always a fun read. There are crosswords or other puzzles throughout the book to help the char...more
Linda
KenKen is great too.
PWRL
Jan 28, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
A
Mark Baker
As always this book was filled with word play/bickering and puzzles. It even manages to mock itself for the conventions of the series (puzzles showing up on dead bodies). But what really got me was a major plot point that is dropped once the real story gets rolling.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Grey853
This barely rates a two out of five stars. My biggest problem is Cora. She's incredibly annoying and shallow and so it's hard to feel bad that she gets herself in quite the legal pickle.

I did find out what a KenKen puzzle was and since I hate math and numbers, I'll be avoiding those in the future. I likely won't be reading this series in the future, either.
Cristina
Loved it! It really kepts me guessing until the end. I also loved the puzzles that are scattered throughout the book. I wish I had photocopied the puzzles before I went on vacation with this book so that I could have tried them myself. This book is great for anyone who liked mystery and/or puzzles.
Harvey
These are always fun, quick reads. The word play can be exasperating at times but I do appreciate Parnell Hall's talent for this sort of thing (although I do prefer his Stanley Hastings series).

The KenKen Killings is one of the better entries in this series.
Catherine Woodman
This is the last book in this series that I will read--the Puzzle Lady is very irritating, and in this one it was just the straw that broke the camel's back. She is silly and difficult, and this time it was just too much
Brian Carney
This may be the worst book I have ever read. Inconsistent, unpleasant characters; weak writing; gimmicky puzzles that are not well linked to the action or characters. How this series got to #12 is beyond me!
Karen
Another cute Cora and Sherry story. I enjoy these light mysteries, there is good conversation with lively banter btw the characters. The characters and likable and familiar.
another entertaining mystery by Parnell Hall - I ♥ Cora Felton AKA the Puzzle Lady and I ♥ Parnell Hall. He has a talent for writing believable, entertaining dialog.
Caryl
These books are fun for the puzzles they contain as well as the puzzle within the story line. This one was more predictable than most of the stories.
Diane S.
Really 3 1/2 stars but better than a 3 especially since I disliked his last puzzle daly mystery and he seems to be back on track with this onbe.
Chris
The bickering between the aunt and niece drives me crazy. The language in offensive, but I do enjoy the puzzles and of course the mystery.
Mascanlon
Its a good airplane, beach read. Cora's actually not my favorite character in the series I missed Sherri and Aaron.
Michele
Cora is just one step away from totally insane...but you gotta love her and her approach to life's problems!
Coreycw
I always enjoy a "puzzle lady" book. They are so easy and simple to read. I love the characters, as well.
Maureen Keimig
I enjoyed this book. You not only try to figure out who the killer is but you get to solve the
puzzles too.
Mark Levine
Fluff but fun light reading .Word play and interesting characters even if far from reality.
Suzanne
these books are always a fun read -- lighthearted & full of witty reparte!
Miranda Beverly-Gill
Inane. Just awful. Why do I keep reading these terrible things?
Vicki
Love this series. Cora always makes me laugh on the stuff she does.
Gina Beirne
I figured out "whodunnit" about halfway through. :(
Dave Jones
Loved the puzzles....tolerated the mystery.
Linda Allen
These Puzzle Lady books are always entertaining.
Al Stoess
Mar 21, 2012 Al Stoess rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Comedy mystery fans.
Comedic. Non-sensical at times.
A Clue for the Puzzle Lady (Puzzle Lady, #1) Last Puzzle and Testament (Puzzle Lady, #2) Puzzled to Death (Puzzle Lady, #3) A Puzzle in a Pear Tree (Puzzle Lady, #4) With This Puzzle, I Thee Kill (Puzzle Lady, #5)