Start by marking “Raising Abel: The Recovery of the Eschatological Imagination” as Want to Read:
Raising Abel: The Recovery of the Eschatological Imagination

Raising Abel: The Recovery of the Eschatological Imagination

Raising Abel is a theological exploration of a huge change of mind: the change which the apostolic group underwent as a result of the Resurrection—and how that paradigm can transform the world today. Making use of the thought of Rene Girard, the author shows how the God who was revealed by Jesus subverted the violent language, imagery and expectations of the early Christia ...more
Published May 1st 1996 by The Crossroad Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Raising Abel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising Abel

Jessie
Jul 02, 2008 Jessie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, spirit
One of the best theologians writing today; he's saying God is love and not violence (works with Rene Girard's theory of mimetic desire & the scapegoat--a taste:
“…in the measure that we learn unconcern about our reputation, in that measure the Father can produce in us the same love which he has for his Son and the same love which he and his Son have for the human race. Here is where we have to make an imaginative effort, or at least I do. That love is in no way marked by any desire for vindic
Aeisele
Apr 19, 2011 Aeisele rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
Everyone must read gay Dominicans! Really, Alison is quite brilliant. This book is basically about the transformation of our conception of who God is, and what the world is, through the death, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus. While I'm not all into the Girardian scapegoat theories (it's kind of a lack of nuance on what ancient sacrifice was), I do find Alison's reading of NT texts really invigorating. One of his basic insights is that Jesus is the crucified-and-risen victim, the Lord of his ...more
julia
Feb 26, 2010 julia rated it it was amazing
this book exploded my brain in a good way
Andrew Marr
Nov 24, 2012 Andrew Marr rated it it was amazing
This rates among the most powerfully stimulating books I've ever read. I wish I could give it, say, seven stars. Alison is among the most creative & inspiring developers of René Girard's thought. The emphasis is on a theology of the Resurrection & what that means for all us in the here & now as well as in the future. The witnessing to the power of the forgiving Victim shakes up our tendencies toward accepting "righteous" violence to a deep vision of God as a God of life.
Lori
Aug 18, 2008 Lori rated it really liked it
It has been awhile since I read this book. However (from what I can remember) the book is based on the Mimetic theory:understanding humans based on how they interact socially. The focus is on our "culture of death" and it's only through a change in our perception of God that we change our perception of ourselves and those we interact with socially. Love anyone?
James Richardson
Oct 29, 2007 James Richardson rated it it was amazing
What would faith look like if we knew -- really knew -- that death is not a boundary? Alison's approach to faith and reconcilliation is breath taking, and his approach to atonement is life-saving. Highly recommend.
LVD
Aug 07, 2007 LVD rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: theology junkies
Shelves: oregon-extension
I need to read this again.
Mike Garner
Oct 08, 2012 Mike Garner rated it really liked it
Using Girardian theory James Alison explores the application of grace and eschatology to the myth of the founding murder.
Isaac Ekblad
Isaac Ekblad rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2012
Mark Stone
Mark Stone rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Keith Homstad
Keith Homstad rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2010
Michael Seifert
Michael Seifert rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2014
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2008
Ivan Paz
Ivan Paz rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Will
Will rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2012
Kevin Estabrook
Kevin Estabrook rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2011
Emma Gerig
Emma Gerig rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2014
Daniel Francis
Daniel Francis rated it it was ok
Oct 30, 2013
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2010
John Forman
John Forman rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Berenice Knight
Berenice Knight rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Katherine Noble
Katherine Noble rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2011
Cody
Cody rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2017
Daniel Weir
Daniel Weir rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2008
David Reynolds
David Reynolds rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2013
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2008
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2014
Chance
Chance rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2010
Anthony
Anthony rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
201223
James Alison (b. 1959) is a Catholic theologian, priest and author. He grew up in an evangelical family in England and converted to Catholicism as a teenager. Alison studied at Oxford and earned his doctorate in theology from the Jesuit Faculty in Belo Horizonte, Brazil. He was a member of the Dominican order from 1981-1995.
More about James Alison...