Start by marking “Last Laughs: Cartoons About Aging, Retirement...and the Great Beyond” as Want to Read:
Last Laughs: Cartoons About Aging, Retirement...and the Great Beyond

Last Laughs: Cartoons About Aging, Retirement...and the Great Beyond

At long last, here are cartoons about the truly important issues. Featuring twenty-six of The New Yorker's most talented cartoonists, Last Laughs is a provocative and exhilarating collection that will amuse, inspire, and occasionally unnerve everyone obsessed with the perennially compelling topics of old age, retirement, and, yes, death.

Longtime New Yorker cartoonist Mor
Published June 30th 2008 by Scribner (first published October 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Last Laughs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Laughs

Brenna
Oct 11, 2009 Brenna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though not especially mood-lightening, Death has has a long history of black humour associated with it. Parodies of the black-cowled figure remain in abundance, as do the steps leading up to His Eminent Arrival (Just take a look at the garish joke books and tacky birthday cards aimed at the 40+ and 50+ crowds). So upon the release of Last Laughs, a compilation of mostly-unpublished cartoons poking fun at retirement, illness, death, and the afterlife edited by The New Yorker's Mort Gerberg, there ...more
Sharlene
May 19, 2014 Sharlene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
I picked this up from a library display, and I enjoyed the comics immensely. Sometimes the comic bios at the end were even funnier. A great collection that I know my own father would have found a good giggle out of. I find that a few of the comics still roll around in my head and make me snicker. I find myself wanting to share the joke, but you really just need to read them. My 11- and 13-year-old children (most of the comics were appropriate) also read this book, but they sometimes needed expla ...more
Krishna Kumar
A book of cartoons on aging, retirement and death by different artists. Reasonable good set, considering the sombre subject. The compiler of the cartoons also added several pages of Q&A from the cartoonists, some of which were interesting, but perhaps could have been avoided to have more cartoons instead. Anyway, it is a quick fun read. So no harm done.
Shannon
Feb 04, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cartoons were great but I especially enjoyed the self-written biographies at the end of the book. The contributors were asked to answer 8 questions, one of which was "What words of wisdom do you have?" Funny people can be very wise.
Carrie F.
Mar 30, 2012 Carrie F. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: w-mother
I'd hope to read this once a year--great cartoons.
Dean Anderson
Dean Anderson rated it it was ok
Dec 09, 2012
Bob Burdett
Bob Burdett rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Kim
Aug 08, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-strips
collection of strips from New Yorker artists highlighting aging, retirement and death
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2011
Soumya
Soumya rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2014
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2008
Phz-sicks
Phz-sicks rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2010
Tova
Tova rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2013
Pj
Pj rated it it was ok
Oct 08, 2015
Larry Snyder
Larry Snyder rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2014
Courtney
Courtney rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2013
Mridu Khullar Relph
Mridu Khullar Relph rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2015
Leeda
Leeda marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2008
Ju
Ju marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2011
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2011
Cindy
Cindy added it
Apr 27, 2013
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2013
Brent
Brent is currently reading it
Aug 06, 2014
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Lois Kazee
Lois Kazee marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014